onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

My guess is that these over the top, obsessive, severe reactions point to deeper issues with the people that hold them.

No one should be that affected by a backup signing.

So you are happy that Askey is wasting the budget (we are supposedly skint) on Lloyd.

Who hasn’t improved since he was at Vale.

You’re the one with issues.

Quality not quantity:clap:

Advert

If we were end of July, made no signings and looked to Ryan lloyd to come in, make everything ok and spearhead the team next season then I might reach for the strong stuff.

We haven't.

It's early June

And as someone has pointed out, is he actually likely to have less if an impact as Whitfield?

I haven't been as disappointed in a vale signing for a good long time.

So you are happy that Askey is wasting the budget (we are supposedly skint) on Lloyd.

You say quality not quantity then recommend we look at Nathan Tyson and Charlie Adam.... major contradiction there mate

I haven't been as disappointed in a vale signing for a good long time.

Jeesh, how will you feel if/when he actually signs?

What if the kid actually contributes to the squad/ team. Dean Stokes and BradleySandeman were hardly household names yet played their part before quickly drifting into non league

I'm fine with people offering criticisms of transfer moves.

What is fairly weird is that such a nondescript signing has provoked such passion.

We're rebuilding. Some signings won't be razzle-dazzle. Chill.

I can see in the main both sides of the divide/discussion/argument

Poss those looking at Turner, Hannant and thinking these have been released/let go expecting then signings to be better otherwise why let them go..In turners case he still needed development and was cheap no biggy to the budget in hannants may have cost more but would have been an excellent squad player.

Now not knowing the figures if lloyd is on less than turner , hannants replacement is on less than him and this goes towards signing proven much better players in much needed areas then i'm sure no one will argue but until then debate will carry on.

I'm sure there are players in the squad askey wouldn't resign if their contract was up so will take time , on Lloyd my memory is like a gold fish so as always will judge players when and how they play ( most did with reggie etc)...Wilson when he played in a friendly I think v castle town he wasn't very good and didn't get any better so with signings we don't know until they put on the shirt..

My Expectation is low for next season hopefully better placed but not hitting great heights then the following season we hope to make bigger strides forward , of course who we sign will always play a part.

I would go with 17/18 proven lads make up the rest with youth coming through, loans or any potential chancers keep the core good but allow room for players to emerge.

Going to be interesting certainly is reading the continuing debate at least shows we all care if sometimes looking at the same thing from different perspectives ..

Ernie is getting a lot of stick here but re Lloyd imo is absalutley spot on. He wasn’t good enough (wasn’t even close) when he was here first time and has been in non league since (other than barely playing this season for a side worse than us).

Posters on here have slammed the previous managers in Aspin and brown for these exact kind of signings. Back up players and players that they know. The likes of vassell and tongue. If we had the previous chairman still the budget would be getting slammed as would these signings. They would be put down as being chancers and gambles. I’m al for askey getting a few in that he knows but if Lloyd signs that’s 4 players already, none of which potentially will start come the first game. The exact words on here of most posters all throughout the last 2/3/4 seasons has been quality over quantity. Yet we seem to be doing the exact same thing but it’s apparently different.

Thus far we have signed the exact same kinds of players as previous years. Non league chancers, quantity over quality.

We will see who else askey manages to bring in for the first team, but if we are apparently skint then Lloyd will be close to that starting 11 than some think. I know I’d much prefer whitfield on the bench, or Hannant.

I keep seeing this argument. ‘He won’t be on much’ well that’s rubbish to be honest. Anything you spend on another squad player could have been used to make us more competitive in signing a quality league 2 player. We have let players go in the same ilk as Lloyd. I wasn’t a fan of turner but keeping him is the same as signing Someone like Lloyd.

I’m hoping if Lloyd signs then that is it in terms of ‘back up’ players and we move into bringing in some first term players.

Just seems to be were are doing exactly what had failed in the last few years. Signing players they know who aren’t good enough.

Ernie is getting a lot of stick here but re Lloyd imo is absalutley spot on. He wasn’t good enough (wasn’t even close) when he was here first time and has been in non league since (other than barely playing this season for a side worse than us).

Posters on here have slammed the previous managers in Aspin and brown for these exact kind of signings. Back up players and players that they know. The likes of vassell and tongue. If we had the previous chairman still the budget would be getting slammed as would these signings. They would be put down as being chancers and gambles. I’m al for askey getting a few in that he knows but if Lloyd signs that’s 4 players already, none of which potentially will start come the first game. The exact words on here of most posters all throughout the last 2/3/4 seasons has been quality over quantity. Yet we seem to be doing the exact same thing but it’s apparently different.

Thus far we have signed the exact same kinds of players as previous years. Non league chancers, quantity over quality.

We will see who else askey manages to bring in for the first team, but if we are apparently skint then Lloyd will be close to that starting 11 than some think. I know I’d much prefer whitfield on the bench, or Hannant.

I keep seeing this argument. ‘He won’t be on much’ well that’s rubbish to be honest. Anything you spend on another squad player could have been used to make us more competitive in signing a quality league 2 player. We have let players go in the same ilk as Lloyd. I wasn’t a fan of turner but keeping him is the same as signing Someone like Lloyd.

I’m hoping if Lloyd signs then that is it in terms of ‘back up’ players and we move into bringing in some first term players.

Just seems to be were are doing exactly what had failed in the last few years. Signing players they know who aren’t good enough.

For ABSOLUTE clarity... Ernie isn’t getting stick for his opinion.

He is getting stick for the moronic, obsessive way he has turned it into a personal vendetta, can’t let it drop and brings it up at any opportunity.

He sounds like a clown... so is treated like one.

Can someone please explain to me, how we have gone from having over 1.2 million for new signings, to being skint? :unsure:

If Askey wants around 10 new signings, that is 120k each a year. Hell, I'd bite your hand off for a salary like that!

The 1.2m was proven to just be a reference to Accrington Stanley’s budget... ours will depend on season ticket sales.

It also was not for just the new players. Whatever it is would include those already signed.

Hence the need to find a bit of value at the cheaper end... a known entity provides that value.

Posters on here have slammed the previous managers in Aspin and brown for these exact kind of signings.

No ...they were slammed for signing far too many of these that were a gamble / risk... Askey KNOWS what Lloyd will bring. You may not like it, but you are not the manager. Previous managers were signing players who they had no idea what they were like in the dressing room (we have all heard the rumours) or on the pitch.

I keep seeing this argument. ‘He won’t be on much’ well that’s rubbish to be honest. Anything you spend on another squad player could have been used to make us more competitive in signing a quality league 2 player.

I’m sorry, but this shows a fundamental lack of understanding.

If you want to sign forwards who will give consistent 8/10 performances, they cost a lot more than the rest of the squad. Having a reliable, known backup who won’t cost much (the way tounlot bang on he can hardly be on anything) frees up than money for the players you desperately crave.

This is getting beyond a joke and beyond boring... the lad is one player who the managers knows, and sees value to bring in and free up some wages to get the players he wants.

If you are all so fickle about your views on the future of the club that one back up midfielder can send you into such a panicky wobble, I would suggest you need help.

No ...they were slammed for signing far too many of these that were a gamble / risk... Askey KNOWS what Lloyd will bring. You may not like it, but you are not the manager. Previous managers were signing players who they had no idea what they were like in the dressing room (we have all heard the rumours) or on the pitch.

I’m sorry, but this shows a fundamental lack of understanding.

If you want to sign forwards who will give consistent 8/10 performances, they cost a lot more than the rest of the squad. Having a reliable, known backup who won’t cost much (the way tounlot bang on he can hardly be on anything) frees up than money for the players you desperately crave.

This is getting beyond a joke and beyond boring... the lad is one player who the managers knows, and sees value to bring in and free up some wages to get the players he wants.

If you are all so fickle about your views on the future of the club that one back up midfielder can send you into such a panicky wobble, I would suggest you need help.

I see this is one of those occasions where having a different opinion isn’t allowed on here.

I’m not specifically talking about Lloyd. I’m talking about the other lads that have signed as well.

So your first point how is that any different to brown and aspins signings?!?

Tongue?

Pugh?

Eagles?

Vassell?

Hannant?

The manager new exactly what they would bring they certainly were not signing players they didn’t know! I love lines like this. ‘You are not the manager’ no **** Sherlock but this is a forum to discuss issues like this. These signings so far are literally identical to previous years, if not more of a risk as at least the players brown signed had played at a high level.

Why not use the loan market for this backup? Or keep some of the younger players who have been released? The likes of calverly and Angus did ok out on loan and wouldn’t have commanded a big wage. I understand signing 1/2 players you know. However if/when Lloyd joins that’s already 3. And all 3 are either unproved or failed at this level. I see the centre back he signed he also signed for Shrewsbury and it didn’t work out there.

If anything you are the one in a ‘panicky wobble’. I’m simply not exactly encouraged with the signings as a whole so far. Not one will start come the first match (maybe the left back will) and people seem to forget just how bad we were last season.

I’m quite sure I don’t need help but thanks for the suggestion.

Hows the signing of Tyson getting on any more gems in the pipeline? #knowsnowt

That’s the spirit pal... someone is articulately discussing the club, it’s position after a horrible owner gave it one of its worst periods of its history, and how we are trying to rebuild... and you come up with this crap of a comment.

Hope you are proud!

Yes, it was below the belt and I apologise to Joe B, who is an excellent contributor to this forum with really good & valid posts and viewpoints.

I also retract my other comments, since Ernie agreed with them!

(you can now get back to baiting Ernie every time that he mentions Ryan Lloyd!)

I see this is one of those occasions where having a different opinion isn’t allowed on here.

I’m not specifically talking about Lloyd. I’m talking about the other lads that have signed as well.

So your first point how is that any different to brown and aspins signings?!?

Tongue?

Pugh?

Eagles?

Vassell?

Hannant?

The manager new exactly what they would bring they certainly were not signing players they didn’t know! I love lines like this. ‘You are not the manager’ no **** Sherlock but this is a forum to discuss issues like this. These signings so far are literally identical to previous years, if not more of a risk as at least the players brown signed had played at a high level.

Why not use the loan market for this backup? Or keep some of the younger players who have been released? The likes of calverly and Angus did ok out on loan and wouldn’t have commanded a big wage. I understand signing 1/2 players you know. However if/when Lloyd joins that’s already 3. And all 3 are either unproved or failed at this level. I see the centre back he signed he also signed for Shrewsbury and it didn’t work out there.

If anything you are the one in a ‘panicky wobble’. I’m simply not exactly encouraged with the signings as a whole so far. Not one will start come the first match (maybe the left back will) and people seem to forget just how bad we were last season.

I’m quite sure I don’t need help but thanks for the suggestion.

I do t know how to best express that nothing that you have said here interests me in the slightest... any suggestion?

Archived