onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

I have nothing against Ernie but surely his suggestions of signing a 37 year old Nathan Tyson and Charlie Adam as a player-coach suggest to people that his virulent opinions on Ryan Lloyd and Louis Dodds might be a tad off the mark...

Advert

I have nothing against Ernie but surely his suggestions of signing a 37 year old Nathan Tyson and Charlie Adam as a player-coach suggest to people that his virulent opinions on Ryan Lloyd and Louis Dodds might be a tad off the mark...

I used to think good old Ern was provocative and difficult on purpose because he loves an argument and needs a vendetta to make him happy.

The more and more he writes, it’s becoming clear that actually he doesn’t know what he is banging on about and trying to get him to understand is a wasted effort when he just shouts back “happy clapper”

Nathan Tyson!! 😂😂😂😂

In terms of who I would like us to sign:

Amoo - would provide the pace Askey wants. Cambridge fans all want him to stay and say he is lightening. He can drift in and out of games but this is league 2 and I think he would be a real asset wide of a front 3.

Durrell - Macc fans consistently name him in their “all time best 11” on their forum. Knows Askey and is a “game changer”. I get the impression he could play wide in a front 3 or could play at the top as a small nippy player (more miller than pope)

PCH - would be a real coup and I fear a step too far. Most likely he would want to stay down south. But he will know Browny and the 2 clubs have some good links with ainsworth hopefully putting in a good word. Another who would be wide in a front 3.

Richie Bennett is 6’4” and scored 1 in 3 goals for Carlisle and then 5 in 13 for Morcambe on loan last year. Doesn’t fit the Askey “pace” model but at 28 would be competition for Pope and an option as Pivot in the front 3.

Mark Cullen - small nippy striker who has been released by Blackpool, we were rumoured to be after him last year and the Blackpool fans said they wanted him to stay and get another chance. Not as proflic but scored roughly 1 in 4 both in league 1 and 2. One blog on the copy paper is he failed to score in 9 when on loan at Carlisle last year.

Tried to be as realistic as I can. Not many of these are glamour signings but signings I feel that one, we could afford, and two, would consider coming to a club who just finished 20th twice.

Players I would consider looking at:

Gambles

Yaser Kasim - Used to be a very decent midfielder for Swindon in League 1, signed for Northampton and has apparently dropped off the face of the earth. Would be interested to see why. Seems like big injury problems

Larnell Cole - Has flitted around in loan spells and didn't seem to do much at Tranmere and has subsequently been without a club since Jan. Still paid a few games at this level and above and would suit the quick midfielder we're looking for.

Stefan Scougall - offered a deal by Carlisle, but could be tempted on a free. Had a lot of promise but career has gone downhill. Would be the dimunitive attacking mid we've lacked for years. Seems to prefer it closer to Scotland.

Rakish Bingham - again, once a player with great promise but has fallen off a cliff and has recently had a poor spell at Cheltenham.

Adam Campbell - there's a theme here; once highly touted, now in shambles. Released by Morecambe but is rapid and played a chunk of football at League 2 level.

Alex Jones - we know he is a good forward. Knackered by injury.

Joe Slinn - ex youth keeper who we released and was somehow signed by Walsall, then loaned out to Rushall Olympic where he seems to have played. Released by Darrell Clarke but has been invited back for pre-season. Young and unproven but local and people at the club will know his qualities. Going to be hard to attract a backup when there is literally zero chance of playing if Brown is fit.

Steady signings

Jordan Bowery - will get 10 goals and is a presence. Askey says he wants pace, which he has a little bit of, but could primarily be used as a replacement for Pope

Elliot Hewitt - if Clarke doesn't come back we need a right back. This lad is 25 and has played loads of games for County, and has been released. Definitely League 2 quality. Askey would probably know him as he was a youth team coach at Macc, where Hewitt came through.

Lawson D'Ath - didn't see loads of time for Dons this year, and has struggled for football recently, but still a good midfielder with loads of games for Northampton in League 2. Right age.

Lee Collins - we probably don't need another centre half but we know he's decent

Rhys Taylor - Askey knows him, was Macc's backup last season and their keeper under Askey in the Conf. Has league experience. Whether he'd fancy another season as backup is another question.

Durrell - obvious

Mikael Mandron - big target man who had a nightmare season last season but was decent the year before that.

Speculative

Brad Inman - eye for goal but will probably get better offers

Kyle Bennett - a class winger who finished this season on loan at Swindon. On big money at Rovers. Swindon want him but say he'll have to take a pay cut.

Zeli Ismail - mixed reports but the right age and type of player we need

Liam Nolan - similar to Joyce. Played a lot for Stanley's title winning side. Saw out the season on loan at Salford

Cowan-Hall - not massively prolific but a good foil for Pope

As anticipated, there are not many affordable free agent strikers knocking about. Players are out there though. Will continue adding as I see names.

A tad off is being generous

The more I look at it the more I think Hewitt might happen.

If Clarke's head is turned by the Allianz Arena we need a right back, as Askey doesn't seem to like Gibbons. Hewitt has played over 200 games at 25, is 6"3 and can play at centre half and midfield too. Askey was his youth coach at Macc.

Askey in todays Sentinel article saying what most of us know already. The team lacks pace.

Really well thought out comments by Askey, he knows exactly what is needed and i am confident he will sign some players that fit the bill.

Box to box player he mentions and a plan B to stretch sides.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vale-transfer-news-askey-2949648

Like Ryan Lloyd 🤗🤗

In terms of who I would like us to sign:

Amoo - would provide the pace Askey wants. Cambridge fans all want him to stay and say he is lightening. He can drift in and out of games but this is league 2 and I think he would be a real asset wide of a front 3.

Durrell - Macc fans consistently name him in their “all time best 11” on their forum. Knows Askey and is a “game changer”. I get the impression he could play wide in a front 3 or could play at the top as a small nippy player (more miller than pope)

PCH - would be a real coup and I fear a step too far. Most likely he would want to stay down south. But he will know Browny and the 2 clubs have some good links with ainsworth hopefully putting in a good word. Another who would be wide in a front 3.

Richie Bennett is 6’4” and scored 1 in 3 goals for Carlisle and then 5 in 13 for Morcambe on loan last year. Doesn’t fit the Askey “pace” model but at 28 would be competition for Pope and an option as Pivot in the front 3.

Mark Cullen - small nippy striker who has been released by Blackpool, we were rumoured to be after him last year and the Blackpool fans said they wanted him to stay and get another chance. Not as proflic but scored roughly 1 in 4 both in league 1 and 2. One blog on the copy paper is he failed to score in 9 when on loan at Carlisle last year.

I think you could be on to something with Bennett.

Crookes is okay as a backup LB/CB but I'd prefer a natural left back personally. Fleetwood released Joe Maguire, a 23 year old LB that spent last season on loan at Crawley where he made 27 appearances. Their fans want him back this summer so he performed well and is well thought of. He's a good age, spent his youth career at Liverpool and is also local (from Manchester) which Askey likes.

Going forward, Bernard Mensah is a player I've followed over the years. He's a 24 year old left footed winger/forward. He could provide the pace and power Askey has talked about on the left of a front 3. He did well for Aldershot in the National League and got his big move to Bristol Rovers but was never really given a chance at L1 level. Maybe L1 was a step too far at the time, but L2 could be his level and I believe he's out of contract.

I think both of those are realistic signings at a good age. I'd really like us to sign a group of 22-25 year olds that can be with the club for the next few years. Our "strategy" of signing kids on loan and 35 year olds on their last payday just means we're building a new squad each season - would be good to have some continuity.

Archived