Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Maris would be a great signing but i can’t see him coming, from cambridge fans it seems as though he could be heading to league one possibly a northern league 1 team. would be a great combination of Maris, Joyce and Oyeleke though

Think Maris will be out of our range.

Joyce, Conlon, and a 100% Manny will suffice for me, with Burgess, Lloyd, and maybe another DM as rotation. As a trio they looked much improved under Askey in a very short space of time and knocked it about very nicely on occasion. A full pre-season of Askey's style and Manny being fully fit should have them clicking.

A big name midfielder would be superb but I'd prefer the money to be spent up top.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think Maris will be out of our range.

Joyce, Conlon, and a 100% Manny will suffice for me, with Burgess, Lloyd, and maybe another DM as rotation. As a trio they looked much improved under Askey in a very short space of time and knocked it about very nicely on occasion. A full pre-season of Askey's style and Manny being fully fit should have them clicking.

A big name midfielder would be superb but I'd prefer the money to be spent up top.

If the three you mention play every week then there’s not a chance they will score ten between the three of them.

So I hope we get two wide men who will score and create because if not it’s gonna be a long season as where are the goals coming from?

Regarding the search for pace upfront...

Looking at the recent Sentinel reports, if Askey is going to pick a 4-3-3 formation then it's the two wide forwards who provide the pace and the potential new pacy arrivals would be cover/competition for Worrall/Montano. The man in the centre needs to be on the end of things. Pope will surely be first choice but I could understand if they go for a younger targetman to act as back-up / competition.

I am hoping for a first choice striker with Pope being the back up. Nothing against Pope but think we need more mobility in the central position as well as wide. Pope did well making an impact from the bench when returning from injury last season and hecwpuld be a great option to throw on to mix it up where needed.

Additionally we need a couple of wide forwards with at least one being a nailed on first-teamer - probably on the left-side. The other to provide serious competition for Worrall whose form under Askey has been great but simply doesn't score enough goals for the role he plays.

The other position for me would be s central attacking midfielder - either a box to box one that gets beyond the striker and bags a few or a specific no.10 type role. We simply dont score enough goals so the recruiment in these positions above all others will dictate what type of season we will have.

Carol has given her views on what Askey is doing:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/carol-shanahan-john-askey-vale-2976603

Whilst it may re-align some fans' expectations, I particularly like:

"It is very easy to take each signing in isolation and make a judgement, often on very little information. What you see when you look at it holistically is that the players being brought in are being brought in to create a team and to create a culture."

This is how recruitment should be done, in my humble opinion. Not signing as many recognisable names as possible and figuring out what to do with them; not signing players for extorniate wages and worrying about dressing room dynamic later.

Last season, we seemingly signed some big names; everyone recognised Leon Legge, Scott Brown, Ricky Miller, Luke Joyce, Ben Whitfield. Look how that season turned out.

Building a dressing room of hard working men of good character, with some talent sprinkled throughout, is how a club like ours, without the resources of Lincoln, MK, a pre-liquidation Bury, or a Salford, gets out of this league. People will disagree but this sort of commitment to an ideal and long-term planning is what I've wanted to see for years, as opposed to throwing signings into a dressing room and hoping they'll cobble a team out of it.

Just my view. I'm seen by some as a Shanahan cheerleader but I'd have no qualms in saying I disagreed with their approach if I thought it was rubbish.

Sidenote - I did write an article recently which effectively mirrors what Carol has said: http://d3d4football.com/patience-is-a-virtue-port-vales-new-era/

Too long, didn't read; Carol's comments today have only reinforced my belief in what they're doing, but I get some won't like it.

I wonder how Cambridge United finished below us last season with all these great players?

Joe Dunne wasn't a very good manager.

Similarly with us. Our squad was bad but was woefully mismanaged, to the point of a lack of fitness and an inherent inability to pass a football under Aspin. If we'd had competent management we would have finished higher up the league. Not by much, but a bit.

Joe Dunne wasn't a very good manager.

Similarly with us. Our squad was bad but was woefully mismanaged, to the point of a lack of fitness and an inherent inability to pass a football under Aspin. If we'd had competent management we would have finished higher up the league. Not by much, but a bit.

So you agree their squad is bad then? Signing players from Cambridge United doesn't particular excite me. I'm almost certain the feeling is mutual.

So you agree their squad is bad then? Signing players from Cambridge United doesn't particular excite me. I'm almost certain the feeling is mutual.

Yes their squad was bad.

Most teams in this league would be ecstatic at signing Scott Brown, Manny Oyeleke, Tom Pope, possibly even David Worrall and Leon Legge.

Bad squads can have good players.

Archived