onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

League 1 and 2 are really turning into a "survival of the fittest" situation.

Clubs paying well beyond their means and players demanding the same wages, they got when the market was on its highest.

Eventually, something has got to give.

The clubs has got to stop paying over the odds, and the players have got to stop demanding silly wages.

If they can meet somewhere in the middle, where its sustainable for both parties, so we stop seeing owners gamble with clubs future.

To be fair, there is no God given right, that footballers have to demand CEO salaries. We all want what as much as possible, but it is becoming more than clear, that the market in League 1 and 2, is over inflated.

98% of the clubs, came out with HUGE loses last term. And actually, we were one of the few to come out with a profit.

It's hard to make rules against this, that are bulletproof. Because the rules in place right now, have so many loopholes and it's unbelievable!

And the most ludicrous thing is, that it is the clubs themselves, that has to vote for or against changes, via the EFL. You couldn't make it up, if you tried.

So I'm am well happy, that we have Carol and Kevin in place, who have the clubs best interest at heart in everything they do!

Appalling treatment of Uche by Rob Page after his joke red card away at Burton.

Completely ditched from then on. Our loss. Was as raw and unpredictable as they come but for me was worth signing.

Hearts probably league one standard and the lad has done well

Appalling treatment of Uche by Rob Page after his joke red card away at Burton.

Completely ditched from then on. Our loss. Was as raw and unpredictable as they come but for me was worth signing.

Hearts probably league one standard and the lad has done well

Fully agree. Uche was a player hugely reliant on confidence. He thrived on being the lone striker and having a manager who trusted him, as well as a very on-side fanbase.

Then that red card happened and it triggered a succession of substitute appearances, a loss of confidence, and here we are.

Sproson suggest out of the two offers Crookes has on the table (which I believe is us and Colchester), Crookes is leaning towards signing for us.

Some will be disappointed as what was 2-3 poor games at the back end of the season were blown up into a final judgement on a young lad playing his first professional games, but I'm not against it.

He's young, left-footed, and has proven he is capable of being a steady player at this level (do people forget the games he played well in and focus only on the rubbish games?), though obviously needs more consistency that will come with age and experience. Kevan said he has a good character, which we clearly need more of considering the revelations on lack of professionalism last season.

I know I'm increasingly being seen as some sort of propaganda merchant for our new regime but I'm completely subscribed to the notion of slow, incremental progress. We have long lambasted the club for not signing young players released from clubs higher up the pyramid; in this lad, we've done exactly that. Not a glitzy signing, but hopefully an astute one further down the line. Once again, at the very worst, he will be cheap, versatile defender of good character who will serve as back up. A reminder that we still need to sign around a dozen players.

"Nah mate he was rubbish in those 3 games at the end of the season, get rid, quality not quantity, where is my 28 year old on a 3 year contract?"

Sproson suggest out of the two offers Crookes has on the table (which I believe is us and Colchester), Crookes is leaning towards signing for us.

Some will be disappointed as what was 2-3 poor games at the back end of the season were blown up into a final judgement on a young lad playing his first professional games, but I'm not against it.

He's young, left-footed, and has proven he is capable of being a steady player at this level (do people forget the games he played well in and focus only on the rubbish games?), though obviously needs more consistency that will come with age and experience. Kevan said he has a good character, which we clearly need more of considering the revelations on lack of professionalism last season.

I know I'm increasingly being seen as some sort of propaganda merchant for our new regime but I'm completely subscribed to the notion of slow, incremental progress. We have long lambasted the club for not signing young players released from clubs higher up the pyramid; in this lad, we've done exactly that. Not a glitzy signing, but hopefully an astute one further down the line. Once again, at the very worst, he will be cheap, versatile defender of good character who will serve as back up. A reminder that we still need to sign around a dozen players.

"Nah mate he was rubbish in those 3 games at the end of the season, get rid, quality not quantity, where is my 28 year old on a 3 year contract?"

My issue with Crookes is he doesn't look comfortable as a LB and isn't physically dominating enough for a CB.

It's fair to say Smith is a guaranteed starter and he's 6'0, as is Crookes. We've looked better partnering him with Legge who is 6'3 and dominant. Smith and Crookes as a pair would worry me, and I'd prefer a natural LB at LB. My opinion though!

That's my only reservation, we don't seem to have had an actual proper left back since the much maligned Dicko.

Kiko ,Gunning, Montano ,Crookes have all been tried.

A few are maybe a bit harsh on Crookes including myself. Felt he was poor in the opposing half but overall was a steady Eddie.

Crookes as a utility player would be a good addition. I'd myself like to see a true left back, not a make do left back.

I suppose finding a good, strong, proven, left footed left back is quite difficult. Left footed players are generally hard to find.

And if we can get someone like him in it might leave a bit more in the kitty for forward players, where our priority lies.

I don't think we can sign 7-8 players all in one go, in one window, who will get us to where we want to be. It might take a couple of years.

It's really hard judging a young lad in a team as bad as we were, when he didn't really have a regular midfield player in front of him. It's hard to tell his true potential as it's a tough, unforgiving league that doesn't afford young lads many second chances.

If Sproson and Askey think he's worth a punt, fair enough, but he isn't the finished article and I agree could do with improving his final delivery.

Him and say Monty isn't a bad combination down the left.

My issue with Crookes is he doesn't look comfortable as a LB and isn't physically dominating enough for a CB.

It's fair to say Smith is a guaranteed starter and he's 6'0, as is Crookes. We've looked better partnering him with Legge who is 6'3 and dominant. Smith and Crookes as a pair would worry me, and I'd prefer a natural LB at LB. My opinion though!

Aspin and Glover weren't exactly giants as a pairing

I aren't opposed to signing Crookes,who apart from the last couple of games was steady enough and he has time to improve,i wont go over the top if he signs BUT neither will I crucify him(not aimed at you) as some have..i am going to trust Askey with who he brings in

Division 4 you need at least 3 defenders who can head a ball. Most teams have at least one fullback who is probably really a centrehalf. We have a particularly short midfield. What a small, mobile leftback adds is more eye catching than the work someone like Crookes did on free kicks and corners. Crookes tended to look a better player away when we held a deeper line. I wouldn't lose sleep if he didn't sign or feel unhappy if he does.

Aspin and Glover weren't exactly giants as a pairing

I aren't opposed to signing Crookes,who apart from the last couple of games was steady enough and he has time to improve,i wont go over the top if he signs BUT neither will I crucify him(not aimed at you) as some have..i am going to trust Askey with who he brings in

The Aspin Glover pairing wasn't as long lasting as people think because Aspin played a lot at fullback. Billings or Walsh played a lot of games at fullback when they were together, so we often had 3 centrehalves on the pitch.

You make an excellent point, JRC.

A lot of teams at our level try and pack their sides with big 'uns because the ball is in the air a lot and many goals come from free kicks and corners. That was exactly the way teams like Lincoln and Colchester played, to name but two. And it's why we often played Kay who was still decent in the air.

Getting the right balance of the team is crucial. I'm not having a go at him because he was a great servant for us but Yates got targeted a lot with high balls to the far post because teams knew he was weak in the air, so it's something to ponder, definitely.

Archived