leedsvaliant

Who should we sign?

elsewhere, Chris Eagles has signed for Oldham today. He's 33 now so it'll be intersting to see if he has anything left.

1 hour ago, mikey said:

elsewhere, Chris Eagles has signed for Oldham today. He's 33 now so it'll be intersting to see if he has anything left.

His age isn't the issue, it's the fact he's been without a club for over a year

My latest pre season assessment...
Very similar defence and midfield to last season.
Both without much depth and reliant on either being injury free, or squad players doing a job.
Attack has much more variety and pace.
Susceptible to injury and, again, this may be pivotal.
If it goes really well, we might trouble the top 10.
If it goes really badly, it might be a little close to the edge.
So 14th.

My latest pre season assessment...
Very similar defence and midfield to last season.
Both without much depth and reliant on either being injury free, or squad players doing a job.
Attack has much more variety and pace.
Susceptible to injury and, again, this may be pivotal.
If it goes really well, we might trouble the top 10.
If it goes really badly, it might be a little close to the edge.
So 14th.

That’s a sensible and fair summary
  • Like 2

The D3D4 podcast league 2 predictions came out today.

They have Vale in 18th. To summarise what they said, vale have a very good spine, talk about players like brown and pope being essential to our success. Transfer business OK but no one they could get excited about. Biggest moves have been the removal of smurf and the three year contract for askey who they see as a great manager.

Think it was a very fair and well rounded assessment, I'd snap you hand off for 18th in all honesty

22 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

The D3D4 podcast league 2 predictions came out today.

They have Vale in 18th. To summarise what they said, vale have a very good spine, talk about players like brown and pope being essential to our success. Transfer business OK but no one they could get excited about. Biggest moves have been the removal of smurf and the three year contract for askey who they see as a great manager.

Think it was a very fair and well rounded assessment, I'd snap you hand off for 18th in all honesty

The Racing Post pre-season pull out came out this morning and they also have us 18th. They make the point that we were the lowest scorers in the entire league last season and Bennett and Cullen won't suddenly turn 39 into 69. They miss the point about having a new manager who might actually encourage the players to shoot prior to 60 minutes of a match and the fact we've signed some wingers but hard to argue with an 'outsiders' view that we'll be solid enough to not get dragged into a scrap at the bottom but not good enough to trouble the teams at the top.

• Thanks 1

I think the difference between 18th and, say, 13th is a bit of extra resilience, the ability to nick goals at important times against the run of play, and to be able to nip a poor run in the bud by grinding out a win before things snowball. League Two is all about individual battles so if you can improve a few per cent here and there, start edging battles all over the pitch instead of being edged out of them, it can all add up.

You never know, we might even have some wriggle room in the January window.

• Like 3

Anyone reckon the bloke in the high viz is Whitfield? Cause if it is he's on trial at Cheltenham this is from a video they posted todayScreenshot_20190729_224227.jpeg

• Like 1

As it looks like Bury are in deeper trouble than we could have imagine, with their game against MK Dons having been called off on Saturday should we look at trying to sign any of their players. I liked the look of number 2 and 9, but have thrown away the team sheet

As it looks like Bury are in deeper trouble than we could have imagine, with their game against MK Dons having been called off on Saturday should we look at trying to sign any of their players. I liked the look of number 2 and 9, but have thrown away the team sheet
Jordan archer and Harry bunn looked decent (the scorers). And I'd take either of those goalkeeps for our back up

I’m shocked people would be happy with 18th. Common. That’s barely an improvement on last year got to be at least aiming for mid table!!!

• Like 3

I’m shocked people would be happy with 18th. Common. That’s barely an improvement on last year got to be at least aiming for mid table!!!
It's not that I'm happy with it, I just don't think we have improved sufficiently to be mid table. Based on what I've seen in pre season and the business we've done, 18th would be fine by me.

18 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Smurthwaite did a LOT of damage to this club.

People that say they wouldn't be happy with 18th clearly don't appreciate how much he destroyed this club.

Make no bones about it, we are starting from the bottom and 18th would be excellent.

It's not that I'm happy with it, I just don't think we have improved sufficiently to be mid table. Based on what I've seen in pre season and the business we've done, 18th would be fine by me.

Pre-season games literally have no bearing on the season
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Smurthwaite did a LOT of damage to this club.

People that say they wouldn't be happy with 18th clearly don't appreciate how much he destroyed this club.

Make no bones about it, we are starting from the bottom and 18th would be excellent.

18th in league two would not be excellent and there is no debate around that. 18th would be bloody rubbish. 

Weve finished 20th the last two seasons. 3 and 4 points off 18th in what were absalutey dire seasons. If we’re only getting 18th then it’s going to be another long season. How 18th can be considered excellent is beyond me. 

He may have done a lot of damage but a 3 point gain on previous seasons and your happy? I’d say top ten we’ve had a good season. Mid table is what I expect if we’re in that bottom 5/6 again then that isn’t excellent.  Might as well pack in if finishing 4 places above relegation to the conference is considered excellent  

• Like 3

A season similar to Crewe last season would be ok. Faint hope with a few games left.

18th is nowhere near like progress and is totally unacceptable

• Like 2

3 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

18th in league two would not be excellent and there is no debate around that. 18th would be bloody rubbish. 

Weve finished 20th the last two seasons. 3 and 4 points off 18th in what were absalutey dire seasons. If we’re only getting 18th then it’s going to be another long season. How 18th can be considered excellent is beyond me. 

He may have done a lot of damage but a 3 point gain on previous seasons and your happy? I’d say top ten we’ve had a good season. Mid table is what I expect if we’re in that bottom 5/6 again then that isn’t excellent.  Might as well pack in if finishing 4 places above relegation to the conference is considered excellent  

It will be another long season for sure. As I've said, you clearly have no idea how much damage Smurthwaite has done.

Staying up again is imperative. I have no doubt that over the course of the season, the correct infrastructure will be put in place to make us competitive again, but it will take much longer than the 2-3 months Carol and Kevin have had to work with so far.

Just out of interest, if we are to finish 12th as you have mentioned, which 12 teams do you think we're better than (and will finish above)?