onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Seen him play several times and he is a good signing, providing we can keep him fit. Plenty of pace and the odd goal (career average is about 1 in 7), so his signing starts to bring the potential of some real threat down the right. If we can sign some cover (say someone like Browne), we are going to see some good wing play for a change. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Amoo

Well done Arthur and co.

PS My Cambridge contacts say he's a good L2 winger, occasionally explosive.

Advert

40 minutes ago, SFBT said:

He's certainly been lauded by many on here in the past few weeks.

His Cambridge stats are not brilliant.

Over two years, 31 starts, 36 sub appearances, 7 goals.

Maybe used as an impact sub, which is very useful.

If you genuinely think he will have been signed to be used as a sub you need to go easy on whatever you're smoking! 

He will be one of the first names on the team sheet if fit. 

He will probably be a one good game in four or five kinda guy, as to be expected for a League Two winger. Myrie-Williams was that sort of player but he made a difference when he was at the club.

Current possible 11:

Brown

Gibbons

Legge

Smith

Crookes

Worrall

Conlon

Oyeleke

Amoo

Cullen

Pope

Subs:

New keeper

Kennedy

New full-back

Joyce

Lloyd or Burgess

Montano

Bennett

That looks decent to me.

Great signing and one I was hoping we would get done since UV linked him with us on twitter.

Someone to get us off our feet and actually makes the Lloyd signing look better in that he's a decent enough back up option... options! We actually have options going forward! Normans Port Vale is no more.

Apparently he isn't the best tracking back is he right or left sided?

2 hours ago, TylerB said:

He will probably be a one good game in four or five kinda guy, as to be expected for a League Two winger. Myrie-Williams was that sort of player but he made a difference when he was at the club.

Current possible 11:

Brown

Gibbons

Legge

Smith

Crookes

Worrall

Conlon

Oyeleke

Amoo

Cullen

Pope

Subs:

New keeper

Kennedy

New full-back

Joyce

Lloyd or Burgess

Montano

Bennett

That looks decent to me.

Not particularly comfortable with Leon Legge being first choice centre back, but defence wasn't the problem last season so fair enough that we haven't performed major surgery there.

I also suspect that Joyce may be a better option than Conlon in central midfield if we actually have some attacking impetus in front of him.It's a real shame that Whitfield hasn't kicked on because he's the 'wild card' that would be nice to have off the bench or from the start against certain teams. Maybe Durrell or someone similar will come in and be that guy.

11 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

Not particularly comfortable with Leon Legge being first choice centre back, but defence wasn't the problem last season so fair enough that we haven't performed major surgery there.

I also suspect that Joyce may be a better option than Conlon in central midfield if we actually have some attacking impetus in front of him.It's a real shame that Whitfield hasn't kicked on because he's the 'wild card' that would be nice to have off the bench or from the start against certain teams. Maybe Durrell or someone similar will come in and be that guy.

Speaking for myself I'd take Whitfield over Montano every day of the week, but don't see Askey doing so. I'd also like a centre-back with pace to play alongside Smith ideally. I've not seen Kennedy play but haven't read anything about him being pacey - only comfortable on the ball for a defender. I still think it's a much better team potentially than we've had for a while if Askey can get them playing as a team, though one that will still be too reliant on the forwards to get goals. Conlon scores worldies but won't score more than 4 or 5, and the same with Oyeleke as I expect him to miss plenty of games.

Found it interesting that Amoo basically intimated that the deal was all but done weeks ago and that he had been training in a private gymn.

Durrell has also been training in a private gymn and has not signed for anyone or gone on trial or joined pre-season training anywhere so perhaps Durrell might likewise have something already agreed.

The Macclesfield fans rave about Durrell and say if they had to pick an all time best Macclesfield 11 Durrell would be the first

name on the team sheet....Durrell was the stand out player in that Askey Macclesfield side and to consider that not only Askey but former team mates Lloyd/Burgess/Kennedy are now all at Port Vale and the club is local....fingers crossed.

3 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Found it interesting that Amoo basically intimated that the deal was all but done weeks ago and that he had been training in a private gymn.

Durrell has also been training in a private gymn and has not signed for anyone or gone on trial or joined pre-season training anywhere so perhaps Durrell might likewise have something already agreed.

The Macclesfield fans rave about Durrell and say if they had to pick an all time best Macclesfield 11 Durrell would be the first

name on the team sheet....Durrell was the stand out player in that Askey Macclesfield side and to consider that not only Askey but former team mates Lloyd/Burgess/Kennedy are now all at Port Vale and the club is local....fingers crossed.

Where does Durrell fit in though? You've got Worrall, Amoo, Monty, Conlon, Lloyd, Whitfield and apparently Bennett who can play out wide? 

Worrall and Amoo you'd expect are our first choice wingers for instance.

Where does Durrell fit in though? You've got Worrall, Amoo, Monty, Conlon, Lloyd, Whitfield and apparently Bennett who can play out wide? 
Worrall and Amoo you'd expect are our first choice wingers for instance.
That's my thinking. Askey said he only wanted 3/4 more players, a winger an RB and a goalie.

The only way I see Durrell coming in is if he's on peanuts or if Whitfield leaves

It's actually difficult to pick a front 3 using Askey's favoured 4-3-3 due to the good options we have. I'd say the strongest 1st team looks like this:

Brown; Gibbons, Smith, Legge, Crookes; Oyeleke, Joyce, Conlon; Amoo, Cullen, Worrall.

The biggest difference is the options off the bench if we're chasing a game and need a goal - Whitfield, Pope, Bennett, Montano can all affect a game.

I'm feeling a lot better about the season now!

I'd still like a natural LB and another RB along with a new backup keeper as the next priorities. If I'm being greedy, a really good CM wouldn't be a bad thing but depends on what's left of the budget.

8 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

It's actually difficult to pick a front 3 using Askey's favoured 4-3-3 due to the good options we have. I'd say the strongest 1st team looks like this:

Brown; Gibbons, Smith, Legge, Crookes; Oyeleke, Joyce, Conlon; Amoo, Cullen, Worrall.

The biggest difference is the options off the bench if we're chasing a game and need a goal - Whitfield, Pope, Bennett, Montano can all affect a game.

I'm feeling a lot better about the season now!

I'd still like a natural LB and another RB along with a new backup keeper as the next priorities. If I'm being greedy, a really good CM wouldn't be a bad thing but depends on what's left of the budget.

If we add Cummings as a full back option then I think we look in a far better place than last season, despite the gloom and doom recently about the squad. You can assume also we will add one or two loans to that as well.

Absolutely brilliant to get this one finally done. I thought Amoo was going to be the signing when Cullen was announced. 

Would still love a creative ball player in behind the striker then I think we could be in the mix for the play-offs.

Archived