Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
leedsvaliant

Who should we sign?

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

Askey says we won’t be signing any more players except a goalkeeper.

We are then signing a player then loaning him back to his club.

Tricket Smith going out on loan and Whitfield  moving on leaves us with a squad of about 20 players.

We currently have 3 players injured which means we can just about fill the bench.

Just hope Sir John has a couple of decent loan signings up his sleeve but decent ones cost money which we haven’t got.

The bench will not have game changers who can come on and improve the team.

But we are expecting a top 10 position.

For the love of whoever is up there Ern.

Stop making stuff up!

Last week it was Kennedy being turned by Bott for Leeks equaliser even though he had been subbed off about 10 mins before hand... which you insisted happened even after someone corrected you.

now you are saying that “we”... the collective... are expecting 10th. 

I think it’s painfully obvious, to everyone who isn’t trying to wind people up, that the vast majority are expecting mid table at best but realistically a few places higher than last season.

i wouldn’t mind but you will use the “you all expected 10th line” over and over and over and it’s boring... and wrong.

You are a funny little man Ern. You really are!

Edited by Iron Curtain

52 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

With the current squad when everyone’s fit the players expected to come on and change a game will be Monty, Cullen, Bennett and Brown. Those options don’t seem to bad to me. 

Ern doesn’t deal in facts... the exact opposite infact!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Tricket Smith going out on loan and Whitfield  moving on leaves us with a squad of about 20 players.

We currently have 3 players injured which means we can just about fill the bench.

Just hope Sir John has a couple of decent loan signings up his sleeve but decent ones cost money which we haven’t got.

When you say we are expecting a top 10 finish...who is?? mid table is a massive improvement foe a squad built on little money

By the way you haven't mentioned how he explained yesterday having to balance the squad with cheap options who he knows wont play every week,he has done it on a budget less than the majority.... again I would love you to explain who you would of got in on the budget,i know you said foley and a couple of others,not bad I guess put paying their wages(and like you I don't know what they want but I would guess more than burgess) we would probably have a squad of 17 players

For the coming season, mid table would be nice, realistically anywhere up from 18th will be a vast improvement over the last few seasons, as noted on here improvement on our home form is required.

Our summer transfer window has been good, we have strengthened in attack which should yield more goals than last, kept key players in all area's, got rid of troublesome players and recruited squad players that fit both our budget and playing style. Off the pitch we have recruited personnel to aide and assist the players and manager,have improved season ticket sales and the owners working hard to bring the fan base back.. We have done the best we can being in the situation and league position we were in.

Coming from what we had and our situation in April/May our summer has been a massive turnaround, we have no real idea of what the state of the club was like before our takeover (much worse I fear then we thought).

Mid table great, avoid a relegation battle an improvement but with the feel good factor back, a bit of luck and some good attacking football who knows - I always dream of promotion at the start of every season. Now is the time to put the last bit of negativity away on who we have signed, where they played last and who we should have signed, its time to and support the club for the new season, without doubt we are in a far better place than we were the start of last.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, sheffieldclayhead said:

For the coming season, mid table would be nice, realistically anywhere up from 18th will be a vast improvement over the last few seasons, as noted on here improvement on our home form is required.

Our summer transfer window has been good, we have strengthened in attack which should yield more goals than last, kept key players in all area's, got rid of troublesome players and recruited squad players that fit both our budget and playing style. Off the pitch we have recruited personnel to aide and assist the players and manager,have improved season ticket sales and the owners working hard to bring the fan base back.. We have done the best we can being in the situation and league position we were in.

Coming from what we had and our situation in April/May our summer has been a massive turnaround, we have no real idea of what the state of the club was like before our takeover (much worse I fear then we thought).

Mid table great, avoid a relegation battle an improvement but with the feel good factor back, a bit of luck and some good attacking football who knows - I always dream of promotion at the start of every season. Now is the time to put the last bit of negativity away on who we have signed, where they played last and who we should have signed, its time to and support the club for the new season, without doubt we are in a far better place than we were the start of last.

Agreed.

Success to me this year means not even thinking of a relegation... I’m happy for us to finish 18th but comfortably clear of the bottom 2.

Next season, Askey will be able to build again.

I suspect players like Whitfield (if he doesn’t go this summer), Monty and Legge will go next summer who are some of our bigger earners (I guess) allowing us once again to develop and build nice and sustainably.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

You wanted quality over quantity now you want more quantity? The potential Hurst deal is an odd one but maybe loaning him back is part of the financing deal and he's very young and an extra six months at Bradford PA is probably better for him than 6 months in the reserve side. I suspect Burgess, Lloyd and the right back combined are on roughly what Foley would want. Given the size of our squad there is a valid debate about what represents value for money and there isn't a clear answer.

Edited by JRC
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Don’t be silly. Finished 18th is not progress. Wake up! We have already trimmed this dead wood have we not???? 18th in league 2 is not acceptable!!!! 20th and 19th under smurthwaite and now 18th is acceptable. Come off it. Mid table is progress. Not just about staying in the division 

You do know we haven't yet kicked off the season, and we haven't finished in only 18th place? We have to recognize that - due to V2001 and Smurthwaite we were almost ground down into non-League football! We don't have any divine rights to be in a higher League orposition than we have been - we have to earn that right, and if it has to take a while, that's unfortunate! There are several top-flight managers - Sam Allardyce, Sean Dyche and Claudio Ranieri spring to mind whose motto...whose traget, every year, was "40 points - survival first! Then build on that as much and as high as they can" - why should that be different for us? If you actually read my post you will have seen that I want us to be higher...want us to get promotion(s)...but, if we don't and progress is only a place or two, a couple of points, a few extra goals, I will take that! It's better than the opposite direction that we have been travelling, the last 3 seasons and allows us to build the next season.

What a load of guff this thread has become. Simple fact of the matter is no one has any clue how their team will perform. With the exception of the elite few in the premier every other division is mainly about momentum. Get on a good run and anything can happen, bad run and it’s very difficult to turn it round. Our squad is miles better than last year. We have replaced the likes of miller and the lad from the states with Cullen and amoo. Are the good enough maybe not individually but hopefully collectively. We need stability  , aim for promotion yes, have ambition yes but stability is the key this time around. 

What a load of guff this thread has become. Simple fact of the matter is no one has any clue how their team will perform.

Spot on mate, every team is in the same boat, who predicted Notts going down at the start of the season? They were tipped by most to walk the league. Last two seasons there has been little difference in quality from top to bottom.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, connor hackett said:

. Last two seasons there has been little difference in quality from top to bottom.

Not true. The bottom eight (including us) were rubbish. The rest were in a separate league.

Edited by toyahw

18 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Not true. The bottom eight (including us) were rubbish. The rest were in a separate league.

Sorry bottom nine.

The main thing is whether we finish in Fifteenth place or Eighteenth place, at least we know thanks to the Shanahans we will still be here. Amongst the doom and gloom on here surely that is something to celebrate 

• Like 5

The main thing is whether we finish in Fifteenth place or Eighteenth place, at least we know thanks to the Shanahans we will still be here. Amongst the doom and gloom on here surely that is something to celebrate 
Totally agree, but there's 18th and 18th. If we are lower most of the season will Arthur go? Personally I think we will be top half. That'll do.

On 30/07/2019 at 19:56, valeparklife said:

Brown

Gibbons Legge Smith Crookes

Joyce Conlon Oyeleke

Worrall, Cullen, Amoo

For me, that is our strongest side in Askey's preferred 4-3-3. Only 2 changes from the team that finished 20th. Hence, why 18th would represent a good season.

Think you will find Pope will be the first name on the team sheet.

As top scorer if he is fit he will carry on scoring goals at this level.

The question is who plays up front with him?

Last season we were found out by teams who stuck two men on him and tried to bully him out of the game.

I just hope he has help this season with either Cullen or Bennett up front to feed off and support him.