onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

1 hour ago, valiantsireno said:

Relegation it is then. Quite like Boreham Wood away and Solihull Moors anyway so welcome your pessimism greatly.

To improve the team we need better players.

Not replace the players who have left with the same or even worse players.

The top teams have improved their teams by signing better players than the ones who have left.

Micky bought in better established players in when we went up.

We don’t need another season fighting relegation like the last 2 seasons.

I don’t expect us to break the bank throwing away money that we haven’t got on expensive signings.

But also I don’t expect us to waste the budget signing squad players instead of established league players who can claim a first team place.

Advert

43 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

There have been quite a few people on here recently saying that they are sick of the phrase "quality over quantity" being used when talking about the calibre of many of this Summer's signings.

Today's Sentinel - https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-askey-plans-quality-over-3057400

Makes sense and is what everyone wants. I just hope the remaining signings are first team players who are proven at this level (back up keeper aside). 2 more proven players and we will be a decent side with askey as manager 

One issue that has to be mentioned is the high level of players that have come from Macc and previous Askey experiences at low level rather than high. We dont seem to have got any Askey world beaters, more released players and players that left and dropped down. With the exception of Cullen It looks very much like previous managers bringing in tat they can trust rather than players that look exciting or experienced at league 2. I dont expect anything more than lower midtable with what we have. If that is where we are finishing up the goodwill around season tickets and honeymoon period for the Shanahans will dissipate very quickly. Don't get me wrong they are certainly an improvement but there doesnt seem to be much indicating a change in the product on the field rather than the board room
Having read your comments on Facebook suggesting we might as well turn Vale Park into a car park it would seem the honeymoon period is over for you I wouldn't bother supporting them if I was you

18 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't we only signed one player from Macc?  Was it his top or bottom half that  couldn't get in the first team?!!

Six Macc.players have added their claim for overdue payment to a winding-up order against the club.

A statement said it had "deeply affected" their mental well-being and they faced losing their homes and being unable to put food on the table.

For me we’re still shy of some goals and creativity, otherwise as it stands we’re not in too a bad place squad wise. As Askey has stated, a back up keeper, RB, winger, plus maybe one or two decent loans should sort us for this season.

Really hoping that he has identified a bit of extra quality in his outfield targets.  Whether the trialists are the answer I’m too not sure looking at the names being mentioned.  It’ll be interesting to see if there are any clues down at The Grove tomorrow, although 15 real ales may well colour my judgment.

Patience is going to be key both off and on the pitch.

At the moment of the new signings i'd only predict Cullen to make the starting X1 , that leaves us with 10 starters from last year ( slightly concerning ).

Bennett surely is a younger Pope covering for injuries and suspensions unless he forces his way in on merit.

Goals from midfield are a massive issue, Joyce zero, Worrall one , Conlon only scores worldies, Manny 3 or 4.

Where is Ian Taylor when you need him 🤨

18 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Colchester is always a difficult game but, after seeing this, I think our first game is looking a whole lot more difficult. Brown is the kind of attacking midfielder we've missed for the last three seasons and he's going to be a thorn in the side of a lot of L2 sides. By the same token, Cambridge are now looking a lot weaker, having lost George Maris and now Brown from their midfield, with Amoo also refusing to sign a new contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see them occupying one of the relegation spots.

You may have a point too about the players we still need to sign. Amoo is one of them, in my view - he has pace to burn and gets a few goals too (usually one against us). We'll have to wait and see but our midfield still looks like it needs a lot of strengthening.

I actually think Colchester are weaker than last season. They have lost 3 of their best players and i dont think the ones they have brought in are as good.

Archived