onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Personally (from a selfish point a view) I am very worried and underwhelmed with this summers transfer business. I don’t think we have strengthened much at all really. Hoping that our later business will surprise us all.

Why not just keep Whitfield and use the Lloyd money on signing a better winger?

We have signed back up players so far, not forgetting that our actual first 11 nearly got relegated last season.

Our actual 1st 11 was playing with the wrong tactics most of last season. Askey came in, shook things up and found we hadn't the personnel to implement his preferred style, by reason of unsuitability or injury.

You can't judge Askey for a season in which he had a comparatively minor role.

Advert

Surely it’s obvious that you won’t get a better winger on the Lloyd money

Wasting the budget on Lloyd is money thrown away which could be used to signing a better quality first team player.

We already have players to cover the Lloyd position so why bother.

Are they worried announcing the Lloyd signing will put people off buying season tickets.

At least IC will be happy with such a underwhelming signing so he can rub it in.

May as well keep Whitfield instead.

Surely it’s obvious that you won’t get a better winger on the Lloyd money

I'd agree that his likely wage is very low. I guess the point of his signing is since leaving Vale he's played leftback, centre midfield and left of a midfield 3. Whether he's now good enough to hold one of those positions for us is going to be interesting to discover.

Personally (from a selfish point a view) I am very worried and underwhelmed with this summers transfer business. I don’t think we have strengthened much at all really. Hoping that our later business will surprise us all.

We have signed back up players so far, not forgetting that our actual first 11 nearly got relegated last season.

As he's said he will sign another winger if we keep Whitfield you have;

Current planned signing

Whitfield

Worral

Montano

Additional first choice winger

That's 5 players on high wages for 2 spaces in the team.

I think he sees Lloyd more as cover for Conlon to play on the left of a midfield 3 than as a winger.

Personal view is we still need someone who plays the Joyce roll.

Thinking along similar lines although hopefully Bennett proves a good acquisition either alongside Pope or if Pope gets injured. There are still good players out there eg Mitch Clarke, so fingers crossed.

Personally think we need:

Back up keeper

First team left back

At least one first team winger.

Another centre mid to compete / start instead of Joyce.

A first team forward.

So for me still at least 5/6 players and the majority being first teamers.

I agree with your numbers just not positions For me:

Back up Keeper - Absolutely

LB - I think we should be OK with Crookes, Lloyd and Monty back-ups.

RB is a big gap in the squad. Gibbo would be my 1st choice but certainly need cover/competion.

Another winger for competition with Worrall and Monty

Striker

Attacking midfielder who can create. I think this is the biggest gap in our squad.

I think Joyce is Mr Reliable to play 40+ games barring a serious injury and think its the kind of role Conlon could perform as cover. Manny is the one where we have the risk in my opinion.

RB is a big gap in the squad. Gibbo would be my 1st choice but certainly need cover/competion.

Striker

Attacking midfielder who can create. I think this is the biggest gap in our squad.

I think Joyce is Mr Reliable to play 40+ games barring a serious injury and think its the kind of role Conlon could perform as cover. Manny is the one where we have the risk in my opinion.

Spot on. I wonder if any of those will be loan players?

Spot on. I wonder if any of those will be loan players?

Don’t expect a load of new signings and even less if Lloyd signs.

It’s no use bringing loan players in if Askey isn’t going to play them.

The loan clubs won’t be happy if they aren’t getting regular football.

Just hope Sir John has used his contacts to line up a few nuggets.

Striker

Don’t really rate Joyce. I know he was good under askey but I saw more than enough under aspin that makes me worried. I personally hope crookes is the cover and we sign a left back as montano can’t play there. Clark would be a good signing so we have cover both sides.

Archived