leedsvaliant

Who should we sign?

Probably because Askey was looking at different ways of playing, & how different players do with each other. Would be counterproductive to keep playing the same players every friendly, especially when we're looking at trialists & new signings. Everybody knows what Pope is about anyway, & there's plenty of opportunity for him to get fit yet. Same with Whitfield, in addition to the fact that Askey has transfer-listed him, so it's not exactly a surprise he's not playing in every game.

It's what friendlies are about, trying things out. I don't think there's any need to read too much into our veteran striker Tom Pope not playing against some U23s.

• Thanks 1

They trained today as well playing the match didn't they?

Micky Adams-esque pre-season of running them into the ground then making them play a match haha!

Scorelines are irrelevant. I think I only remember 1 pre-season game result ever when we beat Man Utd U23 and got relegated that season!

2 hours ago, SFBT said:

I'm hoping the other strikers will give different options so that Pope doesn't get run into the ground and can be used more judiciously.

Absolutely. 

3 hours ago, werstayinup said:

With this comment I have no doubt at all that you didn't go on Saturday so have no real idea how he played,ONE person has said he was poor and that's you,you really are making yourself look a right cock

You are unfortunately wasting your breath.

Ernie has become a parody of himself and has dug a hole for himself where he has to either back down from his ludicrous vendetta or double down and just repeat the same old drivel over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. He has clearly chosen the second option.

He legitimately doesn’t even understand that people don’t dislike his opinion, rather the childish way he can’t communicate it any other way than like a 5 yr old. 

Lost cause I’m afraid! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toyahw said:

Oh here we go again. Pope bashing already... Pope will be the first name on the team sheet under plan A. Who you going to put up top instead? Sorry, second. Brown first.

Where exactly was the pope bashing? Just because someone said he dosent think pope will start? That’s now pope bashing. Come off it. 

I dont think pope will start either under askey, imo Cullen will be the main man and pope used as an impact sub last 30 mins 

• Like 2

I'm really curious to know howcome Amoo has signed a one year contract.

Can anyone explain?

I think he's had a few injuries.

Going back to what XI we'll end up with next month is already interesting, and I suspect there might be 2-3 more to arrive.

If we stick with 4.3.3 the front three places are already up for grabs with 5-6 lads after a place.

7 hours ago, werstayinup said:

With this comment I have no doubt at all that you didn't go on Saturday so have no real idea how he played,ONE person has said he was poor and that's you,you really are making yourself look a right cock

Is he the one with blonde hair playing on the left of midfield?

Must have blinked and missed it or when I went for my sausage butty.

Edited by Erniemossrules

10 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Is he the one with blonde hair playing on the left of midfield?

Must have blinked and missed it or when I went for my sausage butty.

5EFC12D5-1E29-4482-BE97-BBCD75387086.jpeg

• Like 1

In view of Monty's 15 minute contribution to the season so far before getting injured, it looks like we will need cover on the left of midfield so perhaps it's as well we've got Lloyd?  I thought he did OK on Saturday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

In view of Monty's 15 minute contribution to the season so far before getting injured, it looks like we will need cover on the left of midfield so perhaps it's as well we've got Lloyd?  I thought he did OK on Saturday.

Don’t be silly we have Amoo to play on the left and Worrall on the right.

Conlon,Oyeleke and Joyce in the middle.

Where do you think Lloyd would fit in?

In fact Whitfield would do a better job.

Bench warmer at best.

Edited by Erniemossrules

Lloyd is probably more likely to be in competition with Conlon for the left side of a midfield 3. At Chester he played exclusively in central midfield. The main reason he turned down money moves during the last window he was at Vale and went back on loan to Chester was the clubs trying to buy him wanted him as a winger. He played both left side of a front 3 and left side of a midfield 3 at Macclesfield but I believe his preference was the latter. I'll be interested to see how it goes. I remember Russel Bromage as a very ineffective winger who dropped further back and did well. Earle did well as a forward but proved to be a much better midfield player. I remain a little sceptical about Lloyd but Adams and Page both thought there was a good player in there. I'm not sure he has the explosive pace to play further forward in a front 3 or the physicality to compensate. Hopefully he's developed during his time away and has come back an improved player. 

I will admit I had my reservation on Lloyd, but he surprised me how well he did at Kidsgrove. Hope he continues to prove me and others wrong

Ryan Lloyd is a capable footballer, and I think that escapes some on here. He did well on Saturday, and looked a different lad to the one who left Vale. I'd agree that his likely competition for a place in the team will be Tom Conlon, on the left of a midfield 3.  Whether its a blessing or a curse, he's also versatile enough to play at left back or the left of a front 3 as cover.  Adams played him at left back as cover, and with Micky's somewhat debatable view of younger players, I think that's a pretty good endorsement of the ability that he has.

51 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I will admit I had my reservation on Lloyd, but he surprised me how well he did at Kidsgrove. Hope he continues to prove me and others wrong

Seen a lot of people praising him after that game.

What was it that impressed you? Passing/tackling/dribbling?

I didn't go to the game so am just curious.

I just remember him as a skinny winger getting pushed off the ball a lot - men against boys at times. Assuming he's developed since then!

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Lloyd is probably more likely to be in competition with Conlon for the left side of a midfield 3. At Chester he played exclusively in central midfield. The main reason he turned down money moves during the last window he was at Vale and went back on loan to Chester was the clubs trying to buy him wanted him as a winger. He played both left side of a front 3 and left side of a midfield 3 at Macclesfield but I believe his preference was the latter. I'll be interested to see how it goes. I remember Russel Bromage as a very ineffective winger who dropped further back and did well. Earle did well as a forward but proved to be a much better midfield player. I remain a little sceptical about Lloyd but Adams and Page both thought there was a good player in there. I'm not sure he has the explosive pace to play further forward in a front 3 or the physicality to compensate. Hopefully he's developed during his time away and has come back an improved player. 

I've referenced Russell Bromage many times as a player who developed and evolved, putting my initial reservations in their place.

Players need time and patience.

They can be nurtured through good management and benefit greatly from a tolerant and supportive crowd.

The style of negative criticism that can be seen on here at times benefits no one.

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

Don’t be silly we have Amoo to play on the left and Worrall on the right.

Conlon,Oyeleke and Joyce in the middle.

Where do you think Lloyd would fit in?

In fact Whitfield would do a better job.

Bench warmer at best.

Don't be silly.  Did you know for definite that the Amoo deal was going through?  Did he play on Saturday?  I am happy for Lloyd to be a squad player who will come in down the left when needed.  I keep think Lloyd must have had his wicked way with your missus or something the way you keep wittering on about him.

• Like 2

Don't get the bashing of Lloyd, I was at most home and many away games during his last spell with us and couldn't really tell you anything about him as he was so rarely played it didn't register.

Adams rarely played kids, Page went the same tangent as MA and well Brown was useless... would Smith have got his chance had it not been for Bruno for example? We will never know.

We've good competition for places in the area which Lloyd plays, at the end of the day if he is good enough he will break into the team, if not its a back up option... not sure why there are pages of negativity about him really. You don't see the same about players like Kennedy for example who are untested?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Don't get the bashing of Lloyd, I was at most home and many away games during his last spell with us and couldn't really tell you anything about him as he was so rarely played it didn't register.

Adams rarely played kids, Page went the same tangent as MA and well Brown was useless... would Smith have got his chance had it not been for Bruno for example? We will never know.

We've good competition for places in the area which Lloyd plays, at the end of the day if he is good enough he will break into the team, if not its a back up option... not sure why there are pages of negativity about him really. You don't see the same about players like Kennedy for example who are untested?

I think it's just people's recollection of what he was like when he was here as a youngster. Plus the fact a team that finished below us released him.

I wasn't keen on him returning myself, but as with every player, I'll support them fully while we're here.

I'd love him to shut some people up!

Don't be silly.  Did you know for definite that the Amoo deal was going through?  Did he play on Saturday?  I am happy for Lloyd to be a squad player who will come in down the left when needed.  I keep think Lloyd must have had his wicked way with your missus or something the way you keep wittering on about him.

Still think he was a waste of the budget.

Its just like the old Dodders who said Dodds would score 10 goals last season.

Just hope we sign Sam Foley who would improve the team.