onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

A lot of expectation management I feel. I think the hope is, because there are so few changes in defence and midfield the players know what's expected, while potentially there are more goals coming from midfield and the forwards. 

We'll see how it pans out but I'm more optimistic this season. 

Askey says we won’t be signing any more players except a goalkeeper.

We are then signing a player then loaning him back to his club.

Tricket Smith going out on loan and Whitfield  moving on leaves us with a squad of about 20 players.

We currently have 3 players injured which means we can just about fill the bench.

Just hope Sir John has a couple of decent loan signings up his sleeve but decent ones cost money which we haven’t got.

The bench will not have game changers who can come on and improve the team.

But we are expecting a top 10 position.

57 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

With the current squad when everyone’s fit the players expected to come on and change a game will be Monty, Cullen, Bennett and Brown. Those options don’t seem to bad to me. 

12 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Been going 56 years - not that it makes any difference! No season ticket because of work and health issues...stress not a great thing at the moment. I don't get the hysteria from some people on here? There is no harm in accepting that we have been at a very low period of our history, thanks to successive bad ownerships, and that stability, this season, and a higher finish than the last 2 years would be a very small step towards getting to where we want to be - which, for me, is challenging for promotion to the Prem, like the near-mythical season with Rudgie in charge. If we'd had the Shanahans as owners, then, i think we may have had the squad strengthening we needed for the play-offs at least. Now, though, is time for a reality check - none of us wants slow progress, i'm sure? We'd all like to soar up the League...but it probably won't happen. I think we have a marginally better team/squad than last season - and if we can perform as well, or better, defensively than we did last season, and combine that with scoring some extra goals we could improve better than a single place...but, I would take that! That, and the renewed optimism around the club, and the restoration of our place in the community, and the brightening up of Vale Park, fixing the numerous petty little jobs that Smurthwaite neglected...and, hopefully, better catering, and admin, and more efficient running of the club and club shop...all this would be progress. Where's the harm in that? Where's the harm in being grateful for putting this club on more solid foundations? And being better prepared for more progress the following season? And the one after that? Yes - i would love us to get promotion...this season...but i won't be too dismayed if we don't! And - as Alsager keeps saying - as long as the players are prepared to fight for the club, and the shirt, I will be pleased! UTV VTID

Sorry but finishing 18th isn’t exactly progression..... take about 15 years get promoted at that rate! If we finish mid table then that is progression not 18th. For me at the end of the day it’s about football and I’d be extremely disappointed with 18th. 

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

Tricket Smith going out on loan and Whitfield  moving on leaves us with a squad of about 20 players.

We currently have 3 players injured which means we can just about fill the bench.

Just hope Sir John has a couple of decent loan signings up his sleeve but decent ones cost money which we haven’t got.

For the love of whoever is up there Ern.

Stop making stuff up!

Last week it was Kennedy being turned by Bott for Leeks equaliser even though he had been subbed off about 10 mins before hand... which you insisted happened even after someone corrected you.

now you are saying that “we”... the collective... are expecting 10th. 

I think it’s painfully obvious, to everyone who isn’t trying to wind people up, that the vast majority are expecting mid table at best but realistically a few places higher than last season.

i wouldn’t mind but you will use the “you all expected 10th line” over and over and over and it’s boring... and wrong.

You are a funny little man Ern. You really are!

52 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

With the current squad when everyone’s fit the players expected to come on and change a game will be Monty, Cullen, Bennett and Brown. Those options don’t seem to bad to me. 

Ern doesn’t deal in facts... the exact opposite infact!

3 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

When you say we are expecting a top 10 finish...who is?? mid table is a massive improvement foe a squad built on little money

By the way you haven't mentioned how he explained yesterday having to balance the squad with cheap options who he knows wont play every week,he has done it on a budget less than the majority.... again I would love you to explain who you would of got in on the budget,i know you said foley and a couple of others,not bad I guess put paying their wages(and like you I don't know what they want but I would guess more than burgess) we would probably have a squad of 17 players

For the coming season, mid table would be nice, realistically anywhere up from 18th will be a vast improvement over the last few seasons, as noted on here improvement on our home form is required.

Our summer transfer window has been good, we have strengthened in attack which should yield more goals than last, kept key players in all area's, got rid of troublesome players and recruited squad players that fit both our budget and playing style. Off the pitch we have recruited personnel to aide and assist the players and manager,have improved season ticket sales and the owners working hard to bring the fan base back.. We have done the best we can being in the situation and league position we were in.

Coming from what we had and our situation in April/May our summer has been a massive turnaround, we have no real idea of what the state of the club was like before our takeover (much worse I fear then we thought).

Mid table great, avoid a relegation battle an improvement but with the feel good factor back, a bit of luck and some good attacking football who knows - I always dream of promotion at the start of every season. Now is the time to put the last bit of negativity away on who we have signed, where they played last and who we should have signed, its time to and support the club for the new season, without doubt we are in a far better place than we were the start of last.

9 minutes ago, sheffieldclayhead said:

For the coming season, mid table would be nice, realistically anywhere up from 18th will be a vast improvement over the last few seasons, as noted on here improvement on our home form is required.

Our summer transfer window has been good, we have strengthened in attack which should yield more goals than last, kept key players in all area's, got rid of troublesome players and recruited squad players that fit both our budget and playing style. Off the pitch we have recruited personnel to aide and assist the players and manager,have improved season ticket sales and the owners working hard to bring the fan base back.. We have done the best we can being in the situation and league position we were in.

Coming from what we had and our situation in April/May our summer has been a massive turnaround, we have no real idea of what the state of the club was like before our takeover (much worse I fear then we thought).

Mid table great, avoid a relegation battle an improvement but with the feel good factor back, a bit of luck and some good attacking football who knows - I always dream of promotion at the start of every season. Now is the time to put the last bit of negativity away on who we have signed, where they played last and who we should have signed, its time to and support the club for the new season, without doubt we are in a far better place than we were the start of last.

Agreed.

Success to me this year means not even thinking of a relegation... I’m happy for us to finish 18th but comfortably clear of the bottom 2.

Next season, Askey will be able to build again.

I suspect players like Whitfield (if he doesn’t go this summer), Monty and Legge will go next summer who are some of our bigger earners (I guess) allowing us once again to develop and build nice and sustainably.

5 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

You wanted quality over quantity now you want more quantity? The potential Hurst deal is an odd one but maybe loaning him back is part of the financing deal and he's very young and an extra six months at Bradford PA is probably better for him than 6 months in the reserve side. I suspect Burgess, Lloyd and the right back combined are on roughly what Foley would want. Given the size of our squad there is a valid debate about what represents value for money and there isn't a clear answer.

Archived