onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

57 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I can see how much damage he has done. I don’t understand what makes you think 18th is an excellent season. It’s essentially the same 11 with a couple of decent additions that improve it and a better manager. 18th imo is completely unacceptable. 

I would say. 

Macc

crawley 

morcambe 

cheltenham 

Grimsby 

Carlisle 

cambrige  

I can also see us finishing above the likes of Stevenage, Crewe, orient, Newport, Oldham possibly forest green. There’s no reason why we should finishing higher than these sides. 

What is the reason why these sides should finish above us? 

Fair enough, it's all about opinions but we'll see at the end of the season!

I think Macclesfield and Morecambe will struggle again (bottom 2) as they've both lost some keys players (Smith, Collins etc)

Cambridge are worse off after losing Jevani Brown and Amoo so I'd like to think we'll finish above them.

Cheltenham and Carlisle have done some good business this summer so they'll be okay.

Grimsby with Hanson and Green should have enough to stay clear of trouble again.

Oldham are a bit of a mad-cap club and have gone down the foreign experiment again - that could go either way really!

Crewe, Newport and Forest Green will 100% finish above us. They'll be pushing for the playoffs.

It's a really really tough league this year for me and our 1st team is pretty much the same apart from Amoo and Cullen so for us to go from 20th to mid table is a massive ask.

Advert

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

...18th is nowhere near like progress and is totally unacceptable

Oh dear!!!!! Clearly, 18th is progress from being 20th for the last 2 seasons and, without spending a fortune and trying to trim some of the dead wood from the squad, ought to be acceptable!...for now!

Not losing 13 home games should see us move significantly up the table which must be possible just by being fitter, better organised and a bit more positive, even with a team that will be quite similar to last season. i would be happy with 15th/16th and not having my head in my hands for large proportion of games.

14 minutes ago, jasmart02 said:

Not losing 13 home games should see us move significantly up the table which must be possible just by being fitter, better organised and a bit more positive, even with a team that will be quite similar to last season. i would be happy with 15th/16th and not having my head in my hands for large proportion of games.

This is spot on. The home form has GOT to improve and I feel it will with the added pace we now have in the squad.

The only slight reservation with a 15th/16th place finish is that it could still mean we’ve flirted with those relegation positions a little.

We’ve a small squad and will definitely need a bit of luck with injuries.

Also, let’s all pledge to spend lots of cash in the ground as it’ll obviously help more than ever.  Who knows, there may even be something in the budget to push us on further come January.

UTV 👍

Irrespective of who else we sign I’m hoping that whoever pulls that shirt on is sent out there with a game plan and that we actually look like we know what we’re supposed to be doing. I also hope we don’t see knee jerk panic reactions from the management if things don’t go well. Aspin did exactly that last season and seemed to be picking names and formations out of a hat. We’ve had no identity for a while now and if Askey gets the time I’m sure he can give us that. 

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

Of course there's debate about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

Oh dear!!!!! Clearly, 18th is progress from being 20th for the last 2 seasons and, without spending a fortune and trying to trim some of the dead wood from the squad, ought to be acceptable!...for now!

Don’t be silly. Finished 18th is not progress. Wake up! We have already trimmed this dead wood have we not???? 18th in league 2 is not acceptable!!!! 20th and 19th under smurthwaite and now 18th is acceptable. Come off it. Mid table is progress. Not just about staying in the division 

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Fair enough, it's all about opinions but we'll see at the end of the season!

I think Macclesfield and Morecambe will struggle again (bottom 2) as they've both lost some keys players (Smith, Collins etc)

Cambridge are worse off after losing Jevani Brown and Amoo so I'd like to think we'll finish above them.

Cheltenham and Carlisle have done some good business this summer so they'll be okay.

Grimsby with Hanson and Green should have enough to stay clear of trouble again.

Oldham are a bit of a mad-cap club and have gone down the foreign experiment again - that could go either way really!

Crewe, Newport and Forest Green will 100% finish above us. They'll be pushing for the playoffs.

It's a really really tough league this year for me and our 1st team is pretty much the same apart from Amoo and Cullen so for us to go from 20th to mid table is a massive ask.

It is a tough league this year but with how bad we were last year it’s surely not difficult to improve on that. For me I’d sat 18th is another garbage season with no progression. Mid table and at least the team seems to be moving in the right direction. 

2 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Oh dear ? Lancy I've been going 48 years and I'm sorry pal I'm not buying a season ticket and travelling up and down the land with a view to coming 18th. 

All 92 clubs should be aiming to top their league, clearly this is fantasy island but in football you have to dream. 

To be satisfied with 18th is purely an acceptance that mediocrity is good. 

The only teams happy with 18th ought to be the likes of Macc and likewise 17th in The Premier for Norwich or Sheff Utd 

Been going 56 years - not that it makes any difference! No season ticket because of work and health issues...stress not a great thing at the moment. I don't get the hysteria from some people on here? There is no harm in accepting that we have been at a very low period of our history, thanks to successive bad ownerships, and that stability, this season, and a higher finish than the last 2 years would be a very small step towards getting to where we want to be - which, for me, is challenging for promotion to the Prem, like the near-mythical season with Rudgie in charge. If we'd had the Shanahans as owners, then, i think we may have had the squad strengthening we needed for the play-offs at least. Now, though, is time for a reality check - none of us wants slow progress, i'm sure? We'd all like to soar up the League...but it probably won't happen. I think we have a marginally better team/squad than last season - and if we can perform as well, or better, defensively than we did last season, and combine that with scoring some extra goals we could improve better than a single place...but, I would take that! That, and the renewed optimism around the club, and the restoration of our place in the community, and the brightening up of Vale Park, fixing the numerous petty little jobs that Smurthwaite neglected...and, hopefully, better catering, and admin, and more efficient running of the club and club shop...all this would be progress. Where's the harm in that? Where's the harm in being grateful for putting this club on more solid foundations? And being better prepared for more progress the following season? And the one after that? Yes - i would love us to get promotion...this season...but i won't be too dismayed if we don't! And - as Alsager keeps saying - as long as the players are prepared to fight for the club, and the shirt, I will be pleased! UTV VTID

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

Having spent two seasons bricking it we'd go out of the league, it would do my blood pressure good if at least we spend the season clear of that. Anything else is a much appreciated bonus.

Think your blood pressure may take a pounding. I am confident we will at least be battling for a play off place. If not automatic promotion. It is just as stressful at the top.  18th place get a life. Vale are going up.

I anticipate Vale will score more goals than last eason as we've strengthened up top but concede more. Leon Legge wasn't the same player after his lay off and I'm a tad edgy about the quality of cover for central defense. Also we'll miss Mitch Clarke, he covered well behind Legge and Smith last year and saved Vale a number of times.

Just crossing my fingers Vale get off to a decent start over the first 6 games. My heart  says mid table, my head says around 18th. 

Archived