onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

5 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Why not sign Cullen,Bennett and Amoo and Foley.

Just manage the budget correctly.

Do we need the Macclesfield Messi?

Quality not quantity.

Everyone would have been up in arms if Aspin had signed some of these players.

All the players you would like to sign instead of those signed(as you think you would of managed the budget better knowing the exact budget) you know their wage demands and what they are like in the dressing room? Lets be fair here I am very impressed by that

Someone at some point might get a tune out of Whitfield on a consistent basis. 

My impression is that I've seen him perform to his capable level once in three years - that marvelous performance in our destruction of Luton in December 2017. They must've wondered who the hell he was that day because he was unplayable, especially in the second half. One game in two seasons is nowhere near good enough and we can;t afford to carry players in a small squad. Since he rejoined he's looked a little overweight and heavy legged on the occasions I've seen him which is worrying for a young bloke. He's also stuck with the stigma of being a 'Norman' signing which he won't be able to shake.

I'd say it's more likely he drops down the leagues and it takes him until his late 20s to realise what a talent he has, than him to move on an instantly become a consistent League player.

28 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Being exciting and actually being effective are 2 different things though. Sometimes to me it looked like he was doing stuff just for the crowd and himself rather than for the team. 

At times I've watched Whitfield and been excited that he was about to be exciting ... only to be left a little disappointed he hasn't.  You can either be inspired by the odd highlight or depressed by the overall mediocrity of many of his games. I suspect he is one of those players who makes a career from flattering to deceive.

3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I thinks this is a bit of a myth about Ben... can he really win points off the bench by himself?

how many examples of this were there last year?

He benefited from bringing high energy into games that last season were often slow and lethargic... but he often only did it for 15 mins before running out of puff.

That is the issue with him. It’s situations like the chesterfield game (granted I’m going over a season ago for this) just think he’s comfortably good enough for this level. 

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

With regards to the Whitfield debate, he can excite coming on as a sub. Then when he is selected for 90 minutes is largely anonymous. 

I'll always be fond of the lad purely because had we not beaten Chesterfield with 10 men I'm convinced in my mind we would of gone down.

The last 2 seasons have seen 2 absolutely pivotal moments for me. 

The Whitfield winner and the Scott Brown penalty save against Mansfield. Without either of those we possibly could be non-league. 

It looks like it hasn't worked out for him but his screamer against Wycombe and individual excellence against Chesterfield show there is a player in there somewhere

If Whitfield had performed in the other games he played in then the goal against Chesterfield would have been irrelevant. Sadly that the gist of it. If he had scored anywhere near the goals his potential promised then we would not have struggled the last two seasons.

3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I have done some digging into this by going through every game of last season on Sky Sports.

It doesn't make very good reading for Ben or your point that he can win points by himself... the truth is he just doesn't.

Ben was brought on as a sub in 12 games as a sub last year (I have ignored the 90 min plus time wasting substitutions)

In 10 of those games the scoreline stayed exactly the same after Ben came on

In one of those games we lost points after Ben came on

In one game (Lincoln) we gained points after Ben came on... But watching the video, he has little, or nothing to do with Manny's wonder goal.

So points won by Ben from the bench over the season ranges from 0-3 depending on how nice you are.

Of the games Ben started we Lost 72%, Won 18% and Drew 9%.... This is a FAR FAR worse record than the season as a whole.... so the Vale without Ben performed significantly better.

Its unfortunate, because I liked the idea of him... unfortunately that all it seems to be... an idea that never became relaity.

Fair enough. Always saw him as an impact player. I do think he would be great in a decent team but those stats don’t paint a great picture 

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

The issue for me with these ‘versatile players’ is that they are generally much worse in their so called secondary position. Look at rawlinson. Decent centre back, awful at right back, same as montano. Decent winger, awful left back. It always worries me seeing players who can apparently play in 4/5 positions but are actually not particularly good in any of them. 

Looking at that squad for me we’re still weak in midfield. If manny gets injured I think we’re a player short there. 

Montano awful at left-back is a bit of a stretch. I thought he was pretty good when he moved there towards the end of the 17/18 season (It looked a natural position for him as he could bomb forward from deep - Sometimes he looks a bit stifled when he hasn't got room to run at players). I think the issue was that Aspin tried to turn him in to a centre-back for some inexplicable reason. That would mess with anyone when they're already having to do some adjusting to play a new position.

I feel more confident that Askey knows Montano's best position. When he's back from being injured of course 😀

14 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Fair enough. Always saw him as an impact player. I do think he would be great in a decent team but those stats don’t paint a great picture 

Thought we had a couple of stars, 3-0 down 1st home game of the season, last few minutes  Whitfield and Turner came on and scored a couple of goals, we still lost. Consistency was the problem.. 

3 hours ago, werstayinup said:

All the players you would like to sign instead of those signed(as you think you would of managed the budget better knowing the exact budget) you know their wage demands and what they are like in the dressing room? Lets be fair here I am very impressed by that

I would have signed Mark Marshall as well but he’s gone.

9 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Our squad is actually quite small right now. Off the top of my head maybe 22 signed pros.

Absolutely true about the centre halfs though. We’ve got Kennedy, rawlinson, Legge and smith battling it out for the centre half slots. How anyone can make a judgment on Kennedy based on 1 half at kidsgrove is beyond me. 

Left back can be covered by Crookes / evans / Campbell-Gordon (if he can make the step up) Monty should be nowhere the left back spot and I don’t believe that the management see him as an option there either. 

Right back covered by Gibbons / Evans. 

Im sure as August progresses that loan signings will be brought in if we’re short in a particular area through injury or players form.

Kennedy played two halves at Kidsgrove and Leek.In fact he let in Bott to score their goal at Leek.He is only 6ft tall and doesn’t seem to dominate the opposing forwards.

Whitfield has energy. He has ability. No doubt. But from what I've seen he lacks tactical discipline. He tends to go out of position and start looking for the ball if he's not been involved for a bit. As a manager trying to organize a system this is not what you want.

There is also the probability that he is a Smurthwaite signing and on a decent wedge that Arthur is looking to free up.

Archived