onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

As I have said before, I, and doubtless many others, use OVF as a barometer.

Most of the things I read are useful and constructive.

These petty squabbles are neither useful, constructive or amusing and they give an appalling impression.

If you want to support the club, please make your points and leave it alone.

Advert

1 minute ago, SFBT said:

As I have said before, I, and doubtless many others, use OVF as a barometer.

Most of the things I read are useful and constructive.

These petty squabbles are neither useful, constructive or amusing and they give an appalling impression.

If you want to support the club, please make your points and leave it alone.

You just end up wading through posts going back and forth with nothing constructive or worth commenting on, it was like that when rep and bea were around. Is the ignore function still on this new board?

For the record the so called Mac lads.....

Kennedy was at Man City was in the same England U21 team as Harry Kane and has played in the SPL is a ball playing centre half about six foot one and very quick who can also play right back who Askey had at Macc and won promotion and then signed for Shrewsbury in league 1 aged 25 and experienced....seems a good signing on paper.

Evans 23 right back who can play left back and defensive midfield said to be very quick and has talent again Askey knows the player from Macc.....seems a usefull addition....won promotion.

Lloyd Port Vale youth team left winger scouted by Arsenal amongst others now 25 rolled the sleeves up got stuck in became a midfielder playing for Chester and Macclesfield but can play left back also said to be mobile and hardworking with a great left foot again won promotion and trusted by Askey.

Burgess from Bury again one Askey had at Macc and has won promotion aged 21 right footed midfielder likes to drive forward again mobile hard worker another tried and tested back up.

Off the others even Madison at 24 has over 60 games half in the league half in the conference which is a season and half under the belt which is good experience for a back up keeper.

Browne 23 is very highly rated and Hurst is another versatile player for left back or left midfield and 19....added to home grown talent like Smith and Gibbons along with Campbell-Gordon and of course Conlon and Oyeleke then signing Crookes it looks like Askey is building something.

There are of course older more experienced players like Brown/Legge/Joyce/Pope as a spine and  Worrall plus of course the signing of Cullen and Bennett and Amoo while age wise both Montano and Rawlinson would be considered older heads around the squad.

But the Macc lads are all good young footballers all mobile and hardworking trusted by Askey all have won promotion and like Bobby Robson used to say "Don't just sign good players sign good people"

The only question that remains is Whitfield.

10 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

For the record the so called Mac lads.....

Kennedy was at Man City was in the same England U21 team as Harry Kane and has played in the SPL is a ball playing centre half about six foot one and very quick who can also play right back who Askey had at Macc and won promotion and then signed for Shrewsbury in league 1 aged 25 and experienced....seems a good signing on paper.

Evans 23 right back who can play left back and defensive midfield said to be very quick and has talent again Askey knows the player from Macc.....seems a usefull addition....won promotion.

Lloyd Port Vale youth team left winger scouted by Arsenal amongst others now 25 rolled the sleeves up got stuck in became a midfielder playing for Chester and Macclesfield but can play left back also said to be mobile and hardworking with a great left foot again won promotion and trusted by Askey.

Burgess from Bury again one Askey had at Macc and has won promotion aged 21 right footed midfielder likes to drive forward again mobile hard worker another tried and tested back up.

Off the others even Madison at 24 has over 60 games half in the league half in the conference which is a season and half under the belt which is good experience for a back up keeper.

Browne 23 is very highly rated and Hurst is another versatile player for left back or left midfield and 19....added to home grown talent like Smith and Gibbons along with Campbell-Gordon and of course Conlon and Oyeleke then signing Crookes it looks like Askey is building something.

There are of course older more experienced players like Brown/Legge/Joyce/Pope as a spine and  Worrall plus of course the signing of Cullen and Bennett and Amoo while age wise both Montano and Rawlinson would be considered older heads around the squad.

But the Macc lads are all good young footballers all mobile and hardworking trusted by Askey all have won promotion and like Bobby Robson used to say "Don't just sign good players sign good people"

The only question that remains is Whitfield.

Couldnt have said it better myself!

Askey is building a squad that’s more than the sum of its parts. No Mavericks (Whitfield), no poor behaviour (Miller, Hannant and Howkins allegedly).

He has gone for people that a) know his system, b) are willing to follow it and c) are mobile with high energy and an ability to get up and down the pitch all day.

11 hours ago, stupers said:

I have heard from many people that when Askey refers to players acting unprofessionally last season, Whitfield is one of the players he is referring to. At least two of the players that left in the summer would also be covered under the term 'unprofessional'.

So hearsay then? 😳

Got to add that the players certainly against more or less a full Premiership Burnley first team held their own if not outplayed

Sean Dyche and assorted Internationals with a high press and good movement of the ball for an hour before mass changes......Askey has certainly got the squad

extra fit and this week a training camp in Scotland three sessions a day starting at 7.30 am.

Does anyone know whether Trickett-Smith an attacking left footed midfielder is essentially a number 10 or front three

inside forward/wide attack type with goals in him or left side midfield three box-to-box attacking midfielder....in short can he tackle and have the discipline for a midfield role out of possession or is he a between the lines type like Whitfield....said to    have a cracking set piece dead ball delivery.

2 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

You are really clutching at straws with your rants about Tonge and Pugh not being wingers.

The quote was that Tonge and Pugh could play in the same position as Dodds.

Which you have twisted to mean they are wingers.

Another of your pals said Pugh had NEVER played on the wing which again was incorrect.

If you are trying to discredit me at least make sure your silly quotes are true because you are making yourself look silly (which isn’t difficult)..

It is understandable that we need to bring in cheaper players to offset Cullen,Amoo and Bennett but I am sure there are better players around for the same price as the Macc Rejects bought in by Askey.

The majority of these are not good enough to play in the first team and are worse than players released

Do you not think though that with making 8 new signings already, he wants back up players that he knows can do a job. If you look at all those players he's bought in to do that job, they're all on one year contracts.

The guy's only been in charge since February, he probably hasn't has too much time to scout a whole host of new players. So he's spent his time wisely getting in forward players we need, whilst completing the squad with players he can trust. It's not that hard to understand.

12 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not quite sure why there seems to be so much ill feeling on here towards Whitfield, who always struck me as a decent option in attack, a good link up player with an eye for the odd goal.  Inconsistent, OK fair enough, but he’s a relatively young player plying his trade in the fourth tier so inconsistent is par for the course.  Also where’s all this talk of him having a bad attitude come from? Has anyone specifically named Whitfield, or have fans put two and two together and got five?

I’d happily see him warming our bench, coming on as an impact player, but it’s most likely about finance.  Askey probably sees him as being too expensive in that roll.

Some mention has been made of Hurst but we know very little about him so to prefer Hurst to Whitfield is ludicrous.

I think the issue with Whitfield is that he doesn’t fit into Askeys system... he is a flare player who can produce a moment of magic... the problem is if that’s your game you need to do that more frequently than Ben does.

Askey wants players to work hard, cover a lot of ground and play within the team guidelines.

The best example was at Kidsgrove... every time any wife player broke down the wing, they either cut in and payed the ball off, or hit the byline and looked to pull the ball across... except Ben... Ben tried an audacious shot that sailed 10 ft over the bar.

Im not saying that’s a bad thing, as some of them will come off... but my guess is Askey thinks he will get more goals from plan a than speculative “worldies”.

Then you need to add on top the point that Ben doesn’t have the engine to cover all his defensive and pressing duties.

he may well go somewhere and be a huge success if they play a system that allows a flare player to do nothing but try and beat the world... a lot of teams have them... Askeys system doesn’t suit one, so what’s the point in us paying his wages when it works for everyone to move him on and find someone who does what’s required.

38 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I think the issue with Whitfield is that he doesn’t fit into Askeys system... he is a flare player who can produce a moment of magic... the problem is if that’s your game you need to do that more frequently than Ben does.

Askey wants players to work hard, cover a lot of ground and play within the team guidelines.

The best example was at Kidsgrove... every time any wife player broke down the wing, they either cut in and payed the ball off, or hit the byline and looked to pull the ball across... except Ben... Ben tried an audacious shot that sailed 10 ft over the bar.

Im not saying that’s a bad thing, as some of them will come off... but my guess is Askey thinks he will get more goals from plan a than speculative “worldies”.

Then you need to add on top the point that Ben doesn’t have the engine to cover all his defensive and pressing duties.

he may well go somewhere and be a huge success if they play a system that allows a flare player to do nothing but try and beat the world... a lot of teams have them... Askeys system doesn’t suit one, so what’s the point in us paying his wages when it works for everyone to move him on and find someone who does what’s required.

have to agree with that, and as much as I like Whitfield, he is not suited to our current style of play. If we can get another midfielder in when he goes, then that would strengthen the team and give us further options.

When Whitfield first arrived as a winger who could play either side the former loan team fans said that Whitfield was best used down the middle as a number 10 but they also said that Whitfield was hard working and busy.....at times it seems that Whitfield needs coaching and a better use of resources to last 90 minutes and a clear game plan and place in a team or system....the lad has the talent and application but seems frustrated never getting a run of games or a clear role to grow into....the question is can Whitfield find the discipline and focus to become a team player and track back following orders...then again Askey is all about player development and it says a lot that Askey has transfer listed Whitfield...indeed it might be a question of wages but perhaps after all Whitfield is a luxury player not trusted to track back and follow instructions so perhaps it is down to the system and style of play......then again some said Amoo doesn't track back yet against Burnley Amoo put a shift in....then again if Whitfield fails to find another club Askey has said that train hard and all players have a clean sheet and a chance of game time.

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Couldnt have said it better myself!

Askey is building a squad that’s more than the sum of its parts. No Mavericks (Whitfield), no poor behaviour (Miller, Hannant and Howkins allegedly).

He has gone for people that a) know his system, b) are willing to follow it and c) are mobile with high energy and an ability to get up and down the pitch all day.

Macclesfield were well clear of Tranmere who did pretty well last season with basically the same players with a bit of quality added. Top 10 teams in the National League are at least on a par with the bottom 10 in this league. Most of his signings were regulars under Askey. Evans only signed in the January window for them so although his total games looks small it wasn't bad for 3 months. It's easy to underestimate what these young lads achieved at Macclesfield. Our team for the last 2 maybe 3 seasons would not have got promoted from the league below. Pretty much think your points are spot on.

If Whitfield doesn’t find a club or isn’t forced out then he isn’t going to be ready to start the season anyway. He’s only played in the Kidsgrove friendly. That’s nowhere near enough game time in preseason. 

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

If Whitfield doesn’t find a club or isn’t forced out then he isn’t going to be ready to start the season anyway. He’s only played in the Kidsgrove friendly. That’s nowhere near enough game time in preseason. 

There's more chance of me starting the first game of the season.... and I'll definitely be in Kuala Lumpa. Whatever anyone's view on him as a player I think that's pretty clear now.

8 minutes ago, JRC said:

There's more chance of me starting the first game of the season.... and I'll definitely be in Kuala Lumpa. Whatever anyone's view on him as a player I think that's pretty clear now.

Exactly which makes a mockery of Askeys comments about the transfer listed players getting a chance, because clearly Whitfield isn’t going to get a look in. 

Archived