onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

5 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

What are your thoughts about Manny playing DM to accommodate Worrall on the right side of the midfield three?

Probably wasting his bursting runs, but it would certainly give us a physical presence in that central role and also frees up a spot for Cullen /Benett or another quick winger (if we bring one in)

I think Conlon is the odd one out in the scenario above. He's had a look at Worrall in a midfield 3, and I like the idea of Worrall/Oyeleke/Joyce trio. Plenty of legs in there and opens us up to have maybe play Amoo, Pope and Cullen up top. I know Cullen is a striker, but with him looking to get behind the defenders and play between the full back and centre back, he would potentially be very good as a wide forward in a front 3. The worry would be of course, about tracking back and covering their full backs.

Advert

3 minutes ago, stupers said:

I think Conlon is the odd one out in the scenario above. He's had a look at Worrall in a midfield 3, and I like the idea of Worrall/Oyeleke/Joyce trio. Plenty of legs in there and opens us up to have maybe play Amoo, Pope and Cullen up top. I know Cullen is a striker, but with him looking to get behind the defenders and play between the full back and centre back, he would potentially be very good as a wide forward in a front 3. The worry would be of course, about tracking back and covering their full backs.

I was thinking that as well, but has he played wide in his career before? He would certainly give us an added goal threat, but the lack of tracking back and natural width could be a bit of a concern.

From Askey’s team selections so far it seems a straight shootout between Pope and Cullen for the central striking role.

I was thinking that as well, but has he played wide in his career before? He would certainly give us an added goal threat, but the lack of tracking back and natural width could be a bit of a concern.
From Askey’s team selections so far it seems a straight shootout between Pope and Cullen for the central striking role.

The good thing now is options so we can go with the old fashioned physical number 9 in Pope to start games or the like of Cullen who’s probably more suited to getting in behind defences.

Wouldn’t mind seeing them together actually at home and take games to teams more but that’s another debate entirely.

22 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Not sure if he has played wide before. But we're getting a lot of width from Amoo, so maybe we can afford to not be so wide on the other side. Unless you play Monty out on the wing, we don't have the other natural winger as I don't think Worrall is an out and out wide man in a front 3. Cullen and Amoo are the 'marquee' signings of the summer, so I would think that maybe Askey is going to find a way to get them all on the pitch with Pope at the same time. I hope so, as it would be exciting to see us really take it to teams having to worry about many and different types of threats all at once.

As Valefan16 said too, we've also got different options so they don't all have to play at once. I don't recall us having options like this since the 2012/13 season really. It was all an unknown quantity back then as well, so it will be interesting to see how we line up on the opening day.

I think having Conlon on the left of that midfield 3 gives us more balance. If Manny is fit then I’d prefer to see Conlon Joyce and Manny, with Joyce sitting which gives Manny and Conlon licence to get about a bit more. That then frees up Worrall and Amoo to play on the wings. Amoo on his day take a full back to the cleaners and no doubt teams will double up on him, if we’re clever enough and move the ball quickly enough that could see space open up elsewhere. Worralls industry and quality is too good to go to waste playing deeper in that midfield 3, I also think he and a Gibbons have a great partnership on the right hand side too. 

The problem comes with Manny being injured, I think that’s why he’s taking a look at worrall in there. Just in case Manny isn’t fit enough to start the season. 

9 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

REP was binned for less wasn't he?

He can't be banned for having illogical opinions,his personal attacks on Garlick should have seen him sacked off though,my Mother used to say "He's more to be pitied " when talking about folk that are, should we say, a sandwich short of a picnic.

42 minutes ago, stupers said:

Not sure if he has played wide before. But we're getting a lot of width from Amoo, so maybe we can afford to not be so wide on the other side. Unless you play Monty out on the wing, we don't have the other natural winger as I don't think Worrall is an out and out wide man in a front 3. Cullen and Amoo are the 'marquee' signings of the summer, so I would think that maybe Askey is going to find a way to get them all on the pitch with Pope at the same time. I hope so, as it would be exciting to see us really take it to teams having to worry about many and different types of threats all at once.

As Valefan16 said too, we've also got different options so they don't all have to play at once. I don't recall us having options like this since the 2012/13 season really. It was all an unknown quantity back then as well, so it will be interesting to see how we line up on the opening day.

I agree, it’s good to have options up top again! 

The other thing to take into the equation, is height from set-pieces.

If Colchester are the same as last season they are likely to have 5-6 lumps in their team who are dangerous in the air from set-pieces.

We have Legge, Smith, Crookes, and Manny at a push from defence/ midfield.

So it might be the case that Askey will have to find a place for Pope/Bennett to combat that. Maybe both depending on how Colchester set up.

I would still like to see a physical DM come in to give us that option. Think I would definitely feel a tinge of disappointment if Cullen was on the bench, as I think he will get goals at this level. 

46 minutes ago, Mario said:

He can't be banned for having illogical opinions,his personal attacks on Garlick should have seen him sacked off though,my Mother used to say "He's more to be pitied " when talking about folk that are, should we say, a sandwich short of a picnic.

The problem is the truth hurts.

Instead of moaning why don’t you come up with some constructive arguments .

Not everybody thinks everything is rosy in the garden and things are an improvement.

Obviously  the Shanahans have paid over the odds for the club and Askey is not being very clever with his signings with the budget he has been given.

I must admit Bennett,Amoo and Cullen are better than we had last season but the rest are no better than what we had last year.

The problem is a few injuries and we will badly weaken the team and really haven’t got any game changers to bring on when we are losing.

If you think Askey is The Messiah so be it everyone has a cross to bear.

Accept that some people don’t agree.

9 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Not everybody thinks everything is rosy in the garden and things are an improvement.

Obviously  the Shanahans have paid over the odds for the club and Askey is not being very clever with his signings with the budget he has been given.

I must admit Bennett,Amoo and Cullen are better than we had last season but the rest are no better than what we had last year.

The problem is a few injuries and we will badly weaken the team and really haven’t got any game changers to bring on when we are losing.

How is it obvious that 'Askey is not being very clever with his signings with the budget he has been given'? We'll only know that in the coming months. Until then, it's just opinion and your opinion is worth just as much as anyone else's on here. Unless you have a Delorian with a fitted flux capacitor sitting on your driveway, you have no idea what's going to happen this season.

Injuries will no doubt weaken many teams in our league. We might not be able to have considerable squad depth because of our budget. What we can do is try and keep our best players on the pitch as much as possible. Having a physiotherapist and sports scientists back at the club, along with equipment to monitor and identify potential fitness issues is surely a benefit in this regard.

Askey, like other managers will live and die by their signings. He's added some players at the top of the team, and then decided he didn't trust many of the backups. I'm sure if we had more money available, then we would have brought in more starters. But 15 teams conceded more than us last year, so the priority had to be attacking players. We look to be better than last year on paper, but we'll only know when the season starts.

39 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Pmsl, I honestly don’t think any Vale fan thinks Askey is The Messiah, no one on this forum has  probably even thought this, and just want a manager to bring mid table stability to the club. The only person mentioning Askey as “The Messiah “ is YOU.

20 minutes ago, aspin for england said:

Pmsl, I honestly don’t think any Vale fan thinks Askey is The Messiah, no one on this forum has  probably even thought this, and just want a manager to bring mid table stability to the club. The only person mentioning Askey as “The Messiah “ is YOU.

Read the Macclesfield forum.

The Macc fans all thought Durrell would follow The Messiah to Port Vale But we got Lloyd instead.

Not quite sure why there seems to be so much ill feeling on here towards Whitfield, who always struck me as a decent option in attack, a good link up player with an eye for the odd goal.  Inconsistent, OK fair enough, but he’s a relatively young player plying his trade in the fourth tier so inconsistent is par for the course.  Also where’s all this talk of him having a bad attitude come from? Has anyone specifically named Whitfield, or have fans put two and two together and got five?

I’d happily see him warming our bench, coming on as an impact player, but it’s most likely about finance.  Askey probably sees him as being too expensive in that roll.

Some mention has been made of Hurst but we know very little about him so to prefer Hurst to Whitfield is ludicrous.

Archived