onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Whitfield is a quality player no doubt; anyone who saw his performance in supporting Tom Pope in the game against Luton the season before last will acknowledge that. 

However, it hasn't been backed up with consistently good performances since, and if he is going to have an impact in the Vale first team he'll have to address that - if he can. My opinion is the problem is psychological. 

Advert

31 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

Whitfield is a quality player no doubt; anyone who saw his performance in supporting Tom Pope in the game against Luton the season before last will acknowledge that. 

However, it hasn't been backed up with consistently good performances since, and if he is going to have an impact in the Vale first team he'll have to address that - if he can. My opinion is the problem is psychological. 

The problem is Askey doesn’t seem to rate him and he hasn’t played for Macclesfield.If he can offload Whitfield he can probably bring in two Macc Rejects for the same money.

27 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

The problem is Askey doesn’t seem to rate him and he hasn’t played for Macclesfield.If he can offload Whitfield he can probably bring in two Macc Rejects for the same money.

Whitfield's has two problems:

Can't last more than 60 minutes

One good game in 10 at best

He's lived on the Luton game for 18 months. Maybe he'll come good but clearly there is no stampede to sign him. Maybe his wage demands are a bit steep but he's not as good as he, is agent or his father think. 

2 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Usual pathetic response

Whitfield hasn't performed for Vale on a regular basis and never looks match fit,no loss imo and it allows us to buy Hurst then fair enough

8 hours ago, JRC said:

I suspect the deal was already done when Evans got Macclesfield to cancel his contract. Askey probably decided what he could afford was not as good as Evans and had been in discussion with him in advance. Also covers the problem of no like for like Joyce cover. I believe Campbell mainly used him in midfield last season.

Evans cancelled his contract because he hadn’t been paid.

I think Whitfield has to go. For all the quality he has shown at times his attitude is poor and is incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes players just don't fit with a manager and you move them on. If you are looking for a squad that is greater than the sum of its parts, then you need everyone working hard and pulling in the same direction. From what I see, Whitfield doesn't fit in to what Askey is trying to do so you get rid.

As for Rawlinson, I am no big fan (And he certainly isn't a right back as someone suggested earlier in the thread - There's a difference between having played right-back, and actually being competent in the position to play there) but, I would imagine his attitude is pretty spot on. He's come from the Welsh league and been given a chance to make a decent professional career from football. He genuinely looked happy to be here last year, even with all the other stuff going on. I would say if Askey's thinking about keeping him on, then it'll be down to that. I think to be anything other than a backup for us though, his decision-making and distribution need to improve considerably.

I'll admit that I have had concerns about some of our recruitment this summer. On top of what we've done, I would have liked us to bring in another centre-back as I'm not convinced Legge is going to be on top form for the whole of next season. But the first eleven looks good aside from that, and we've got a couple of decent backups in place even if we head in to the unknown should we pick an injury up in defence. There was a lot of problems with the squads put together in previous seasons, and trying to bring in half a squad is an extremely difficult proposition particularly when off the field moves were being made after the season ended. It's a summer of readjustment and getting us ready for a proper push next season in my opinion. However I do think we have goals in the team, and if we can stay as solid at the back as we did for the majority of last year then we might surprise a few people and finish around 10th. More likely a finish around 14th I would expect. Quite a few clubs expected to finish in the bottom third would walk over hot coals to have Pope, Cullen and Amoo to pick from so I am optimistic that we won't be dragged in to any trouble this time around.

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

Evans cancelled his contract because he hadn’t been paid.

In all probability you are right I know the rumour doing the rounds is they've paid nobody for 3 months. If it's true I still think he pulled the plug after talking to Askey, foolish to jump from a sinking ship before you see a liferaft.

9 hours ago, JRC said:

We'll see more on Saturday but can't see past the starting 11 vs Burnley, Oyeleke and Cullen to start against Colchester. Think Pope and Amoo will be 2 of the front 3 and back 4 will be Gibbons, Legge, Smith and Crookes. Worral, Oyeleke and Conlon will all start if fit. Not sure where Worral will play. That leave Cullen, Joyce and Bennett for one spot. Given how Colchester play I fancy Bennett as I think it will be physical with a fair bit of head tennis.

What are your thoughts about Manny playing DM to accommodate Worrall on the right side of the midfield three?

Probably wasting his bursting runs, but it would certainly give us a physical presence in that central role and also frees up a spot for Cullen /Benett or another quick winger (if we bring one in)

Archived