onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

10 hours ago, SFBT said:

I think it's important to assess signings and the building of the squad, especially after the last three seasons.

My impression is that we have a pretty decent first team.

Beyond that are squad players of limited experience, some of whom will flourish, others won't.

The season could turn on keeping key players fit and how well their replacements adapt.

On this early evidence, Worrall could be a godsend as he can play in midfield as well as in a front three.

I was fairly optimistic this time last year.

I am again this year, for a mid/ lower mid table, middle of the road season.

Heaven!

I think we've got 14 players you'd say are competitive at this level and the rest a bit unknown. If we can keep 11 of them fit all season I think we have enough to finish as high as 10th, which I'd be happy with. 

Advert

14 hours ago, Emile said:

Interesting that this lad wasn't first choice though. Askey obviously knew him so I wonder if he is plan C behind the trialist and Clarke. 

Plan D, there was another trialist right back in this week too. 

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Plan D, there was another trialist right back in this week too. 

A few things on this.

1. No team (excluding the Premier league mega clubs) ever gets all their number one choices... read the secret footballers book. A managers skill comes in identifying options and navigating a minefield of identifying players, and more disruptively Agents, who change their minds on where to go all the time. 

2. It’s clear from his interview that Cummings wasn’t the type of player Askey wanted... he suited the “expensive big name” that some people yearn for... but he called him a Steady Eddie. Sounds more like HE was there as plan C or D if the Evans deal couldn’t be done.

3. Cummings was on a rather long trial. Evans was there only a day or two and signed on Saturday... that’s a very decisive decision for someone who was supposedly 4th choice... surely Askey would have at least waited until after the game?? Unless he wasn’t 4th choice as all.

4. I don’t remember reading about this other trialist right back, is it the one mentioned in the podcast. If so I believe that’s Evans. If it’s not Evans then they arrived roughly the same time and therefore arbitrarily applying a ‘choice order’ doesn’t make sense.

I think it would be surprising if we went for another right back after signing Evans, and keeping Gibbons here.

I imagine any further developments will now depend on (a) if BW and CR stay or go and (b) the loan market.

I'd want another midfielder here. It isn't looking likely that either Manny or Monty will play 50 games this season and they are two of our better, more established players, so that's a bit of a concern.

If CR goes then we'll need another defender.

I'm not particularly in favour of developing other team's players (as we did with Clark) but if we could strengthen the side with 1-2 good loan players then I'd try and do that, definitely. All lower league clubs do it and some very successfully. A good defensive midfielder would be useful when we are under the cosh away from home.

So we might see an odd one still departing and 2-3 new ones arriving. But only one pre-season game left now so not a lot of time to sort it out, though the loan market is open for a bit longer isn't it?

A few things on this.
1. No team (excluding the Premier league mega clubs) ever gets all their number one choices... read the secret footballers book. A managers skill comes in identifying options and navigating a minefield of identifying players, and more disruptively Agents, who change their minds on where to go all the time. 
2. It’s clear from his interview that Cummings wasn’t the type of player Askey wanted... he suited the “expensive big name” that some people yearn for... but he called him a Steady Eddie. Sounds more like HE was there as plan C or D if the Evans deal couldn’t be done.
3. Cummings was on a rather long trial. Evans was there only a day or two and signed on Saturday... that’s a very decisive decision for someone who was supposedly 4th choice... surely Askey would have at least waited until after the game?? Unless he wasn’t 4th choice as all.
4. I don’t remember reading about this other trialist right back, is it the one mentioned in the podcast. If so I believe that’s Evans. If it’s not Evans then they arrived roughly the same time and therefore arbitrarily applying a ‘choice order’ doesn’t make sense.

Don’t let common sense get in the way of people wanting to have a good moan.

Evans can play right back/left back/holding midfield and is said to be very quick.

At this stage both Madison and Browne must be near to being sorted with a deal

and Askey seems keen on left back/midfielder Hurst.

GK Brown/Madison

RB Gibbons/Evans

CB Legge/Smith/Rawlinson/Kennedy

LB Crookes/Hurst

Midfield Oyeleke/Joyce/Conlon/Lloyd/Burgess/Trickett-Smith

Wingers Worrall/Amoo/Montano/Browne/Whitfield

CF  Pope/Cullen/Bennett

24 man squad and call it 25 if Campbell-Gordon gets the odd game/makes the bench while Green-Birch and Berks could go out on loan.

There has been some question about strength in depth but Evans should be decent cover at right back Rawlinson/Kennedy at centre back and both Montano and Hurst at left back if needs must.....in midfield a fit Oyeleke is key but Worral can play right midfield and Askey seems to trust Burgess and Lloyd as back up players while Trickett-Smith is said to be a more attacking midfielder....on the wings Worral and Amoo would be first choice and Whitfield and Browne to understudy are good back up not to forget Montano....Pope and Cullen to choose between to start as number 9 with Bennett as back up.

Askey likes a small squad and plays 4/3/3 and Madison/Hurst/Browne would pretty much conclude business with a final pre-season friendly next saturday and two weeks of hard running before kick off and as a squad the players already look very fit and full or running with a high press and on the ball move it about well.

21 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Signed a two year contract at Macc end of 2017-18 but didn’t play a game?

Just what we need another Macc reject.

Askey shopping in Poundland again to make up the numbers.

Could,nt see anything wrong with Cummings who looked decent and good league experience.

Gibbons still struggling with fitness issues like last year  and Rawlinson and Kennedy can play full back.

Throwing away the budget on squad players again.

You couldn’t make it up.

Didn't play a game? Apart from the 18 he did play including the 1-0 win at Vale!

45 minutes ago, Phil said:

Didn't play a game? Apart from the 18 he did play including the 1-0 win at Vale!

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good moan. There was someone on social media yesterday moaning we didn’t know what colour socks went with the new kit, were they black or white.

14 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good moan. There was someone on social media yesterday moaning we didn’t know what colour socks went with the new kit, were they black or white.

Ernie doesn’t like facts

Ernie is the Main Moaner

Ernie only judges player based on Wikipedia

But always remember... Ernie thinks Pugh and Tongue are both wingers

3 hours ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Evans can play right back/left back/holding midfield and is said to be very quick.

At this stage both Madison and Browne must be near to being sorted with a deal

and Askey seems keen on left back/midfielder Hurst.

GK Brown/Madison

RB Gibbons/Evans

CB Legge/Smith/Rawlinson/Kennedy

LB Crookes/Hurst

Midfield Oyeleke/Joyce/Conlon/Lloyd/Burgess/Trickett-Smith

Wingers Worrall/Amoo/Montano/Browne/Whitfield

CF  Pope/Cullen/Bennett

24 man squad and call it 25 if Campbell-Gordon gets the odd game/makes the bench while Green-Birch and Berks could go out on loan.

There has been some question about strength in depth but Evans should be decent cover at right back Rawlinson/Kennedy at centre back and both Montano and Hurst at left back if needs must.....in midfield a fit Oyeleke is key but Worral can play right midfield and Askey seems to trust Burgess and Lloyd as back up players while Trickett-Smith is said to be a more attacking midfielder....on the wings Worral and Amoo would be first choice and Whitfield and Browne to understudy are good back up not to forget Montano....Pope and Cullen to choose between to start as number 9 with Bennett as back up.

Askey likes a small squad and plays 4/3/3 and Madison/Hurst/Browne would pretty much conclude business with a final pre-season friendly next saturday and two weeks of hard running before kick off and as a squad the players already look very fit and full or running with a high press and on the ball move it about well.

I reckon Campbell-Gordon will be more of the LB cover than Hurst (if he signs)... similar age to Smith when he made his debut and increasingly highly thought of.

We still need a natural LB. Crookes will play there but he's a CB playing out of position. Evans "can play LB" but he's a right footer so again, isn't a natural LB.

Obviously we need a backup GK too - hopefully it's someone young that can learn from Brown and develop into our #1 when Brown leaves.

We also need another winger. It's obvious that Amoo will be our danger man but teams will likely double up on him so someone similar on the other flank would be welcome. Wingers are often extremely inconsistent, especially at our level so some pacey options off the bench would be useful. Rhys Browne will hopefully be signed and shouldn't cost the Earth. 

27 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

We still need a natural LB. Crookes will play there but he's a CB playing out of position. Evans "can play LB" but he's a right footer so again, isn't a natural LB.

Obviously we need a backup GK too - hopefully it's someone young that can learn from Brown and develop into our #1 when Brown leaves.

We also need another winger. It's obvious that Amoo will be our danger man but teams will likely double up on him so someone similar on the other flank would be welcome. Wingers are often extremely inconsistent, especially at our level so some pacey options off the bench would be useful. Rhys Browne will hopefully be signed and shouldn't cost the Earth. 

Campbell-Gordon!

Archived