onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Ernie, stop trying to be pendantic. You said Pugh and Tongue played in the same position as Dodds. 

I’m with Ern on this one.  Not only did Pugh and Tonge play in the same position as Doddsy, they played there AT THE SAME TIME. Doddsy had so much class, and Ern, being his biggest fan, will affirm, Aspo would sneak 12 players on when Doddsy wasn’t  playing.  Pugh would play the roll of Doddsys right boot whilst Tongy would be the left.  Unfortunately, as we saw, they hadn’t got the required energy levels and so the tactic was dropped.

I'm going to try and see if the club shop has a DVD just to put my mind to rest.

I recall perspiring prior to kick off when i saw Pugh on the team sheet. I'm sure had he appeared on the right wing i'd of been apoplectic. 

Anyway back to the serious stuff. 

The right back scenario is interesting, Gibbons barely featured under Askey at all. I guess as always it is down to budget but for me it is a no brainer. Come on down Mr Grimmer.

Gibbons is arguably suited better to home games where his pace can be utilised, away from home he can be exposed.

11 hours ago, Emile said:

Ernie, stop trying to be pendantic. You said Pugh and Tongue played in the same position as Dodds. Your context for this was we didnt need Dodds as we already had enough cover for his position. Its in black and white.

If he played right wing for 10 minutes that doesn't make him a winger. It doesn't mean signing Dodds was a waste because Pugh and Tongue already to the same job. They don't, you were wrong. Now please shup up about it.

Mike Calverley played in goal for Nuneton last season, is he a keeper? Should they not have signed a backup keeper because he can play in goal?

Honestly, you are the number one waste of energy on this forum, the sooner you leave the better. I'm using this site to stay in touch with the vale whilst living abroad. You are killing my enthusiasm to come onto this site and instead I spend more and more time typing port vale into twitter and hoping to find some kind of news. Thats what it comes down to, because I so desperately want to avoid reading your pathetic posts. The new owners are building a great positive attitude around the club, get behind it or just buggar off please.

Try making use of the ignore button

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

I'm going to try and see if the club shop has a DVD just to put my mind to rest.

I recall perspiring prior to kick off when i saw Pugh on the team sheet. I'm sure had he appeared on the right wing i'd of been apoplectic. 

The right back scenario is interesting, Gibbons barely featured under Askey at all. I guess as always it is down to budget but for me it is a no brainer. Come on down Mr Grimmer.

Gibbons is arguably suited better to home games where his pace can be utilised, away from home he can be exposed.

He did play on the wing a couple of games (think it was left though) one was the Lincoln debacle IIRC and one was the Checkatrade.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Believe it or not Jack Grimmer is only 25 so must have been in nappies when he played for the Vale.Dont think we will get him because Askey is shopping in Poundland again for squad players.We still need a box to box midfielder.

4 hours ago, darren1810 said:

The problem with the Pugh issue was he and Vassell played well together in the game before, (was it Burton in the cup), but then for the next game against Lincoln  Aspin stuck with it and it was a disaster. Could have seen that coming a mile off really.

On the right back, we saw Clark done time and again with a ball over his head because IMO his positional discipline wasn’t great and he was playing too high up the pitch in relation to the rest of the back four, which was easier for teams to exploit. That’s why I think maybe someone like Cummings could be a useful signing for games away from home where the manager might want to go with a more conservative right back who’s natural tendency isn’t to overlap and bomb on. That’s not to say I don’t think Gibbons isn’t a good player as I’ve said all along he’s a better defender than people have given him credit for, but maybe someone with more experience under his belt would be a useful foil in the squad and a different option. 

4 hours ago, Wrex said:

Try making use of the ignore button

If you could let me know where that is since the forum changeover that would be great. He was on my ignore before but since the change has snuck back on. 

This thread has gone a bit off topic....(Dodds played over 300 games for Port Vale and scored over 50 goals for the club)

Anyway it seems that the trialists have been at the club for weeks and have played in most pre-season games and must

therefore at this stage be thought of as possible signings.

Askey had said a goalkeeper,right back and winger were needed and therefore Madison,Cummings and Brown could

get offers as all have done well and furthermore Askey is interested in Hurst....not sure about Thomas as Askey already

has three strikers on the books for that one central striker role.

GK Brown/Madison

RB Gibbons/Cummings

CB Legge/Smith/Kennedy/Rawlinson

LB Crookes/Montano/Hurst

RM Oyeleke/Burgess

CM Joyce/Conlon

LM Lloyd/Trickett-Smith

RW Worrall/Brown

CF Pope/Cullen/Bennett

LW Amoo/Whitfield

So a squad of 24 senior professionals which could perhaps be rounded up to 25 with Durrell the cherry on the cake.....then again consistent with the reasoning above Thomas to complete a small but perfectly formed 25 man squad and perhaps Durrell  was never on the radar afterall.

3 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Believe it or not Jack Grimmer is only 25 so must have been in nappies when he played for the Vale.Dont think we will get him because Askey is shopping in Poundland again for squad players.We still need a box to box midfielder.

We have a C & A budget. He's done some of his shopping at M & S so he's got to do some at Poundland, that's the economics. Offer Askey Grimmer on Cummin's wages he'd bite your hand off. Maybe as a civil servant where wages for employees are fixed it's a different situation as a manager but it's the reality in the private sector. You could debate if Grimmer and no Cullen is the better option. Without the option of loans you need at least 22 players in a squad; probably more. All the promoted teams had bigger squads than we had last season and all with 4 or more young players on loan who played very few games; so fewer better players is pretty limited as to how few you can get away with. It is pretty clear some shopping has been and will be at Poundland. 

Archived