onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

On 7/12/2019 at 3:51 PM, valeparklife said:

Where does Trickett-Smith play?

In the latest YouTube interview with Askey, the interviewer says "what about the young striker Trickett-Smith...". I thought he was a centre mid?

I think he's a kind of number ten isn't he? I hesitate to use his name due to the reaction from some on here - but the way Louis Dodds would play behind a striker and link up play. 

33 minutes ago, robf said:

I think he's a kind of number ten isn't he? I hesitate to use his name due to the reaction from some on here - but the way Louis Dodds would play behind a striker and link up play. 

A Norman signing and it might be harsh but he looked it today.

I thought that the budget was supposed to be the same/very similar as last season (isn't that what Kevin S said when they took over?).........well, The Sentinel quotes Askey saying otherwise after today's friendly :-

"Obviously the budget is not as big as it was last season so it is tight."

That's not a dig at the Shans before the usual suspects on here start crying - just a little surprising after Kevin S's initial comments and then selling more season-tickets than last season.

Clearly the Shans have had to pay way, way, way over the odds to that fat cnut and are consequently starting at absolute rock-bottom in attempting to revive the club.

(the main point of The Sentinel article was Askey saying he'd be interested in taking the young non-league midfielder from Bradford Park Avenue if he can afford it).

The comments about the budget surprised me, I expected similar to last season or more. Leads me to think that Whitfield going is also a budgetary decision too. I agree about Cummings providing competition and cover and he may not be as pricey as Clark who’s coming down from a championship club, where they play stupid money.

56 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Strange and slight worrying comment from JA about the budget I have to be honest. That said is that down to us having less players overall. I.e a squad of 30 plus can’t have been cheap!

It’s all about how you spend it.

Kennedy is no better than Rawlinson and Burgess doesn’t seem to be any better than Whitfield or players we have released.

Everyone knows my feelings about Lloyd but there are players available now who would improve the team rather than squad players.

on a brighter note thought Bennett had a decent game and could actually play as well as Pope and would give us another option up front.

Amoo looks decent if he can stay fit and Cullen dangerous at times.Hopefully there are now more goals in the team.

Cummings and the keeper looked decent and could play in team if required.

7 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Strange and slight worrying comment from JA about the budget I have to be honest. That said is that down to us having less players overall. I.e a squad of 30 plus can’t have been cheap!

Some of the loan players probably were very cheap. I always interpreted a budget about the same as last season to mean a little less. It is what it is. Yeovil, Bury, Macclesfield and Notts County all ended last season in àcute financial distress. At least 2 other clubs have external debt of over 10 million.  The problem is too many people see football as  a roulette wheel not a business. Swindon and Grimsby chairmen were both complaining about losses at the end of last season but both seem to have bought in some expensive signings.

7 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Kennedy is no better than Rawlinson and Burgess doesn’t seem to be any better than Whitfield or players we have released.

Everyone knows my feelings about Lloyd but there are players available now who would improve the team rather than squad players.

on a brighter note thought Bennett had a decent game and could actually play as well as Pope and would give us another option up front.

Amoo looks decent if he can stay fit and Cullen dangerous at times.Hopefully there are now more goals in the team.

I suspect Whitfield is a high earner. Not sure there are players available now who weren't a month ago, although I assume you mean they may now have lowered wage demands. With someone like Grimmer we don't know who he is currently talking to or what kind of salary. I doubt he has had no interest.

8 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Football is a squad game though. I thought we looked like a League Two team playing a non league team yesterday. Remember the Leek boys all know each other and have played together, most of our team have only just met.

Am I right in thinking that last season we had Pope and Miller, oh and Whitfield up front.
This season, we have Pope, Cullen, Bennett and Amoo, all attacking players.
Midfield and defence at least as good, with a fit, so far, Manny.
With more depth in most positions.
It looks much more solid and fit for purpose.
Am I missing something?

I wouldn’t take a manager talking about budgets too seriously.

If we want the kid from Bradford PA it’s not going to help our negotiating position to make positive noises about our budget.

The squad looks to have more than last year in terms of attacking threat.

Personally think both full back positions look a little light and we clearly need a back up keeper.

Despite what the weird attention seeker  Ernie thinks imo we have got better than who has left...we have resigned Manny,Worrall and Brown(our better players)

Elliot,Turner,Hannant and likely Whitfield replaced with Bennett,Cullen and Amoo I know the 3 I prefer

Kay,Tonge,Pugh have left replaced with a younger Lloyd and Burgess who folk have been impressed with

Bring in a keeper and RB and add maybe Browne then couple of loans and I think we are good to go,i await Ernie coming along quoting me and slating Lloyd again

Archived