onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Seen a lot of people praising him after that game.

What was it that impressed you? Passing/tackling/dribbling?

I didn't go to the game so am just curious.

I just remember him as a skinny winger getting pushed off the ball a lot - men against boys at times. Assuming he's developed since then!

The main thing I would comment on is that he was always looking to get involved and didn’t hide, which I felt he may do given the reaction, in some quarters,  to his return hasn’t been 100% positive.

He looked neat and tidy when in possession, sharp, didn’t get pushed around, and worked hard off the ball.  Certainly one of the better performers on the day. 

Looked to have filled out a bit too.

This is just my opinion, Erniemossrules would’ve been better qualified to comment but unfortunately it seems from his earlier comments that his vision was obscured by thick bread and sausage meat.

Advert

23 hours ago, toyahw said:

Oh here we go again. Pope bashing already... Pope will be the first name on the team sheet under plan A. Who you going to put up top instead? Sorry, second. Brown first.

Open your eyes....where did I bash Pope???? yea thought not,maybe you should read first...did I say I hope pope is sub NO....only my opinion but I think Askey will use him as sub(for what its worth I hope I am wrong) mainly due to how he wants his forwards to play with mobility etc

32 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Open your eyes....where did I bash Pope???? yea thought not,maybe you should read first...did I say I hope pope is sub NO....only my opinion but I think Askey will use him as sub(for what its worth I hope I am wrong) mainly due to how he wants his forwards to play with mobility etc

In that case I apologise. Askey seemed to put a lot of faith in him last season even rushing him back from injury. But is it time to take the burden off Pope? sure it is. But do we have the personnel at the moment to play a fluent front three all with goals in them? I don't think so. So as will all managers the approach will be pragmatic. Their career is on the line.

This is something I often think people forget. Managers are going to buy crap players, play players out of position, have favourites. It might look like it from the outside, but I doubt it is ever the case. Their head is on the block. This is particularly true of Askey, who does not have Mr Evil to blame if things go its up.

Lloyd, well I can see both sides really. The match against us last season he had bulked up since with us. Harder to push of the ball. Good left foot. But did he look better than Hannant on the day. Not really. Looked like he didn't have the pace for a winger. So I suppose that it is whether you are looking for an upgrade on last season's squad. Probably not. Could he do a job, probably at the same kind of level as we were last season. Probably so.

Amoo is an odd one. He's an out and out winger. He certainly tore us one at Cambridge. But not one of a front three, from his own words.

Maybe this stuff with Askey going 4-3-3 is a bit premature, and he'll use a system to suit the players available. I hope so, because that is the way to go and being predictable just suits the oppo. 

Either way, all the best to them all and let us hope for a better 2019/20 than the last few years. The new owners, and us long serving fans certainly deserve it.

3 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Seen a lot of people praising him after that game.

What was it that impressed you? Passing/tackling/dribbling?

I didn't go to the game so am just curious.

I just remember him as a skinny winger getting pushed off the ball a lot - men against boys at times. Assuming he's developed since then!

When you think back over the last two seasons we have had to suffer Harry Middleton, Antony De Frietas, Jack Stobbs, Chris Regis, Lawrie Wilson, Lewis Hardcastle etc. Nothing against those lads, a couple of whom have carved out half decent careers, Ryan Lloyd immediately stood out in a friendly as a class above all of those players from his first touch of the ball.  Lloyd's first touch, the same as every permanent signing made so far this summer (up to Saturday) was top drawer.  All of those players, Lloyd included worked smarter as well as harder, in 10 x 10 boxes dependant on where the play was.  Lloyd was clearly comfortable performing in his role, under the conditions set by the manager.  Now far be it for me to proclaim Askey as a tactical genius, he clearly had asked the players to play in a specific pattern, particularly with the ball.  Lloyd was very comfortable and tidy in possession. 

The key thing for me is that he has been clearly brought in to do a specific job for us, a player JA knows and trusts, and knows his ability, what he can do, what he can't do, how he can affect the team.  It seems to be a similar theme with every player who he has signed permanently, he's been prepared to wait for players (Cullen, Amoo etc.) as they are the RIGHT players for 1) the football club 2) the way we want to play. This gives me the confidence as a supporter that he knows what he is doing signing Ryan Lloyd, and that Ryan Lloyd is an improvement on players in the last two seasons, in particular the "8 or 9 who weren't even close to getting in the team", to quote our manager. 

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Don't be silly.  Did you know for definite that the Amoo deal was going through?  Did he play on Saturday?  I am happy for Lloyd to be a squad player who will come in down the left when needed.  I keep think Lloyd must have had his wicked way with your missus or something the way you keep wittering on about him.

Actually my problem with Lloyd is that Askey released Hannant and put Whitfield on the transfer list then signs Lloyd who isn’t rated by Sol Campbell to be offered a contract.Considering they haven’t got a pot to p@ss In you would have thought they would have kept any player willing to stay.

A bit of brainless decision by Askey especially when there are now players coming available who could play in the first team.

1 minute ago, Erniemossrules said:

A bit of brainless decision by Askey especially when there are now players coming available who could play in the first team.

Time will tell Ernie. Time will tell. I have some sympathy with your point. But stopping banging on about would do your credibility a world of good. Let us see how it goes.

Just now, Rampant Zebra said:

Hannant was a headless chicken, be interesting to see how he gets on at his new club

A useful headless chicken. It will indeed be interesting to see how he gets on. Let's hope it is not a "car crash" for him with the Don's. I reckon he will do alright there. 

1 hour ago, Bradwell Exile said:

When you think back over the last two seasons we have had to suffer Harry Middleton, Antony De Frietas, Jack Stobbs, Chris Regis, Lawrie Wilson, Lewis Hardcastle etc. Nothing against those lads, a couple of whom have carved out half decent careers, Ryan Lloyd immediately stood out in a friendly as a class above all of those players from his first touch of the ball.  Lloyd's first touch, the same as every permanent signing made so far this summer (up to Saturday) was top drawer.  All of those players, Lloyd included worked smarter as well as harder, in 10 x 10 boxes dependant on where the play was.  Lloyd was clearly comfortable performing in his role, under the conditions set by the manager.  Now far be it for me to proclaim Askey as a tactical genius, he clearly had asked the players to play in a specific pattern, particularly with the ball.  Lloyd was very comfortable and tidy in possession. 

The key thing for me is that he has been clearly brought in to do a specific job for us, a player JA knows and trusts, and knows his ability, what he can do, what he can't do, how he can affect the team.  It seems to be a similar theme with every player who he has signed permanently, he's been prepared to wait for players (Cullen, Amoo etc.) as they are the RIGHT players for 1) the football club 2) the way we want to play. This gives me the confidence as a supporter that he knows what he is doing signing Ryan Lloyd, and that Ryan Lloyd is an improvement on players in the last two seasons, in particular the "8 or 9 who weren't even close to getting in the team", to quote our manager. 

Great post! Well thought out and considers the needs and style of Askeys play!

No one expects Lloyd to be a world beater but I think he will prove to be a shrewd bit of business to provide tidy backup at a price that has allowed us to free up cash for the likes of Cullen and Amoo.

Lloyd is now and has been for the last four seasons at Chester and Macclesfield a centre midfielder usually left of a three....

Lloyd is no longer that youth team winger that Arsenal amongst others scouted back in the day....infact Lloyd has rolled the sleeves up and got stuck in being a mobile and hardworking midfield player that Askey seems to rate and trust.

The comparison with Hannant is usefull as both are  hard working and mobile only Hannant was a bit of a headless chicked

and lacked end product whereas Lloyd is more likely to get his head up and deliver a pass or cross....as mentioned above Lloyd has a good first touch and a good left foot and has a better skill set than Hannant and a higher football intellegence in terms of reading the game and following instructions.....and probably cost less than Hannant in wages.

Usefull,versatile,trusted sums it up.

Archived