onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

I totally understand and agree with the perceived philosophy of JA and the new owners that this is time to get the club going in the right direction, consolidate and build for the future  and anything above a mid table finish would be a bonus. However, I do believe we need some decent/quality  Lge1/2 players, a RB, a CB, a powerful central midfield player and a forward or else we are looking a tad thread bare on experience and quality at Lge 2 level given the bulk of this squad missed relegation by not much this last two seasons.

If the unthinkable happened I would fear the worst for PVFC.

Advert

9 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Shrewsbury fans like Grant, best midfielder for them last season according to a shrews fan I know.

As he was here, but people questioned his attitude and commitment and accused him of being lazy.

I'd have him back at a drop of a hat. Sadly that ship has sailed. 

If true a great signing for League 2 

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I'm interested how Durrell seems so highly thought of on here ?

If he sat next to me on a bus i wouldn't know him.

The 0-0 at Macc if he played,  all 20 outfield players were hideous and the 0-1 at home i can't particularly recall anything that made him stand out ( assuming he played both games ) .

Just curious because Wikipedia doesn't paint the whole picture for players good or bad.

It was at the grand old age of 29 he made his Football League bow. 

I have met Elliott Durrell and his family a few times so would know him if he sat next to me on a bus. He is a very likeable chap. And on his day he is a very exciting player to watch.  He scored the goal that kept Macc up last season.  Unfortunately he is injury prone. And therefore would be a risky signing. He reminds me of a lower league Shaqiri, both in build and style of play. 

10 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I totally understand and agree with the perceived philosophy of JA and the new owners that this is time to get the club going in the right direction, consolidate and build for the future  and anything above a mid table finish would be a bonus. However, I do believe we need some decent/quality  Lge1/2 players, a RB, a CB, a powerful central midfield player and a forward or else we are looking a tad thread bare on experience and quality at Lge 2 level given the bulk of this squad missed relegation by not much this last two seasons.

If the unthinkable happened I would fear the worst for PVFC.

Only Mark Cullen will threaten to play in the first eleven.

The rest are back up to the existing players.

Other teams are signing decent league players plus Leyton Orient and Salford  coming up will have good players.

6 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

As he was here, but people questioned his attitude and commitment and accused him of being lazy.

The usual for a lot of vale fans sadly. A lot don’t see the class but prefer someone to just run around and chase everything. I remember Constantine scoring for fun but constantly getting moaned at. Won’t change. 

23 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Selling Grant and Alnwick was the reason we got relegated.  We have our previous owner to thank for his departure.

44 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Jevani Brown and Paris Cowen-Hall are superb signings for Colchester.

They have a LOT of debt I believe which has probably funded them which we can't compete with but it's the type of signings we need (pace + creativity out wide).

Until we sign a couple of pacey wingers I don't believe we're any better than last season.

Colchester have had a load of cash in from Bristol City for Szmodics.  All our transfer income has disappeared into a black hole in Leicestershire.

We've never really replaced Grant - a player who can help the back four, win headers and tackles and interceptions and break up play when we don't have the ball. Griffith did that a few years ago but since then we've made do with an aged converted centre back (Kay), even more aged Tongue and Pugh, and then Joyce who, for all his qualities in passing the ball and making space for himself, isn't a midfielder with tenacious tackling ability nor very good in the air. I'd like to see us find another strong lad like Grant but I guess they cost money.

We don't really know what our XI will be in 4-5 weeks time. I suspect both Bennett and Cullen will always be in the squad. Kennedy might oust one of the centre backs. We could have a new right back. Most people agreed that Worrall and Oyeleke were shoe-in first teamers and were delighted that they both signed. Pope remains - the best target man in the league, or the one at least who won most high balls last season. And I'm sure we'll see another winger and a midfielder arrive. 

I'm not as pessimistic as some. We'll have a competitive team. The spine is decent and we've added two lads who are capable of getting double figures to help out Pope. 

Monty I forgot. On his day he's an excellent player at this level and we've still got 1-2 loan players to add.

Don't jump the gun. Patience.

50 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Only Mark Cullen will threaten to play in the first eleven.

The rest are back up to the existing players.

Other teams are signing decent league players plus Leyton Orient and Salford  coming up will have good players.

Relegation it is then. Quite like Boreham Wood away and Solihull Moors anyway so welcome your pessimism greatly.

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Jevani Brown and Paris Cowen-Hall are superb signings for Colchester.

They have a LOT of debt I believe which has probably funded them which we can't compete with but it's the type of signings we need (pace + creativity out wide).

Until we sign a couple of pacey wingers I don't believe we're any better than last season.

Colchester is always a difficult game but, after seeing this, I think our first game is looking a whole lot more difficult. Brown is the kind of attacking midfielder we've missed for the last three seasons and he's going to be a thorn in the side of a lot of L2 sides. By the same token, Cambridge are now looking a lot weaker, having lost George Maris and now Brown from their midfield, with Amoo also refusing to sign a new contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see them occupying one of the relegation spots.

You may have a point too about the players we still need to sign. Amoo is one of them, in my view - he has pace to burn and gets a few goals too (usually one against us). We'll have to wait and see but our midfield still looks like it needs a lot of strengthening.

I'd love us to "do an Accrington" and I hate to be pessimistic but I'm very much being a realist too.

It's all very well cultivating a professional environment but good attitudes won't score goals, ability does.

I will be patient and hope someone can pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat in 4 weeks!

I'll be there 1st game of the season regardless though! 

Really looking forward to flying over for the first game! The mood is really really great, not a ball has been kicked yet, and we're pretty much relegated by many accounts. 🥺

People need to stand by what they say! You can't be on board the "slow and steady progress" train on one side as everyone say they are, but then be f'ed off that we haven't signed Ajose, Cowen-Hall and several other expensive names on the other side.

We all want what is best for Vale, but we have to listen to Carol and Kevin, when they say we are not going to make big name signings. Because that's not the way the club is being run! 

Everybody wanted the whole squad replaced, bar Brown and Pope. And Askey did what he could on that account! It was either keeping those with a year left, or waisting the budget paying them up, without any funds left to sign new ones.

I could understand if we were the only team, not signing expensive players but not many teams are! It's the usual suspect; ie. Mansfield, Colchester and ATM FC (Salford) throwing stupid money around.

Carol and Kevin has promised all money coming into the club, will stay at the club. So it is up to us, to HELP get better players in, by buying merchandise like nutters etc. I know I will! And people had already showed massive support, with the ST sales! 

I just really hope some positivity will turn up, before the season starts. Otherwise this is going to be one hell of a long season 😔

Archived