onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

With the additional season ticket sales, I would like to think that the budget might be able to be reviewed, although I suspect it is more likely that once Askey has his squad in place, it will be a case of trying to strengthen in January if we find ourselves at either end of the table.

I'd like to see some kind of 'statement' signing - someone that would get bums on, and then off seats, now that it looks like there will be a few more of them at Vale Park. For all the encouraging noises coming from Askey, it's clear that we are not going to suddenly start outplaying teams with the same players that we finished last season with, unless Askey is a lower league Guardiola!  The good thing is that his promoted Macc side were clearly better than the sum of its parts, so we should expect to see improvement. But we are still lacking quality - and in a smaller squad, with all of its versatility and togetherness, that flash of quality is what is going to elevate us above the humdrum pack around us. We should be positioning ourselves as a big player at this level.

Advert

I see where Ajose has signed for Exeter. Where are they getting their money from?

They sold Jayden Stockley to Preston for 750,000 in January so obviously have some money to spend
The Hugil money could help us the same , oh hold on a min someone trousered it all and left

One issue that has to be mentioned is the high level of players that have come from Macc and previous Askey experiences at low level rather than high. We dont seem to have got any Askey world beaters, more released players and players that left and dropped down. With the exception of Cullen It looks very much like previous managers bringing in tat they can trust rather than players that look exciting or experienced at league 2. I dont expect anything more than lower midtable with what we have. If that is where we are finishing up the goodwill around season tickets and honeymoon period for the Shanahans will dissipate very quickly. Don't get me wrong they are certainly an improvement but there doesnt seem to be much indicating a change in the product on the field rather than the board room

25 minutes ago, Mattholl said:

One issue that has to be mentioned is the high level of players that have come from Macc and previous Askey experiences at low level rather than high. We dont seem to have got any Askey world beaters, more released players and players that left and dropped down. With the exception of Cullen It looks very much like previous managers bringing in tat they can trust rather than players that look exciting or experienced at league 2. I dont expect anything more than lower midtable with what we have. If that is where we are finishing up the goodwill around season tickets and honeymoon period for the Shanahans will dissipate very quickly. Don't get me wrong they are certainly an improvement but there doesnt seem to be much indicating a change in the product on the field rather than the board room

If fans demand rapid improvement at a high cost then they will be disappointed.

its very very clear this is a slow and steady development. If that’s not what people want then that’s down to them... I hope they enjoy their Saturdays out shopping.

Carol and Kevin have the best interests of the club at heart... that’s what people will care about.

Dunno what it is, and admittedly i'm saying this with little substance to back it up, I just get the feeling we aren't quite done in terms of bringing players through the door, and I have a feeling that one might not be a trialist. Macclesfield's players took to court yesterday in an attempt to add their unpaid wages to a winding up petition.  That being said, I would hope that Elliott Durrell wanted to get this through to court prior to deciding his own future.  That is due to return to court in mid August, so with it being filed, I can only assume he will now resolve his own future, possibly signing for the Vale??? I wonder if this is why Askey has said, a couple of times over the past few weeks, that he is "prepared to wait" to get deals done. I'm probably putting 2+2 together and getting 5, although Durrell is a decent player at this level and did well in (no disrespect to Macc) a crap team. Would like to see him come in...

Other than that, I wonder if the forward players he's brought in on trial, who all strike me as being out and out centre forwards (Brown maybe the exception) would be there to replace Miller, giving us Bennett, Pope, Cullen and A N other.  Just wonder if we've brought these lads in on trial as they offer something different to the lads already on the books.

Cummings coming in on trial is probably the most likely signing, if he performs well, and barring Mitch Clark doing a U turn and not joining Real Madrid or Bayern Munich (😂 ) the right back opening in the squad is there for the taking.

As for the goalkeepers, again a chance for them both to impress, two lads from very different backgrounds who are essentially fighting for a deputy's spot. 

Wouldn't rule us out doing a little more transfer business just yet, so I'd urge patience

KTF

Agreed on that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Durrell is in a Vale shirt next season, especially if Whitfield leaves and frees up his wage.

Anyone who thinks we should are could challenge for promotion next season is daft. We're coming off the back of 3 years of neglect on the playing side and many more years of neglect on the non-playing side. We've only just appointed a proper physio for crying out loud. 

As long as we have some stability, some better/attacking performances at home and some kind of strategy other than 'hope Brown keeps us in the game for 60 mins then we'll have a few shots and see what happens' then we should all be fairly happy. This season is about putting the foundations in place to build success upon in the future. Rid the club of the bad eggs and create a winning mentality. If you're expecting us to be giving Nicky Maynard 7k a week then enjoy the drive to Mansfield because that's not how we're going to do things.

4 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

Agreed on that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Durrell is in a Vale shirt next season, especially if Whitfield leaves and frees up his wage.

Anyone who thinks we should are could challenge for promotion next season is daft. We're coming off the back of 3 years of neglect on the playing side and many more years of neglect on the non-playing side. We've only just appointed a proper physio for crying out loud. 

As long as we have some stability, some better/attacking performances at home and some kind of strategy other than 'hope Brown keeps us in the game for 60 mins then we'll have a few shots and see what happens' then we should all be fairly happy. This season is about putting the foundations in place to build success upon in the future. Rid the club of the bad eggs and create a winning mentality. If you're expecting us to be giving Nicky Maynard 7k a week then enjoy the drive to Mansfield because that's not how we're going to do things.

Very well said!

I'm interested how Durrell seems so highly thought of on here ?

If he sat next to me on a bus i wouldn't know him.

The 0-0 at Macc if he played,  all 20 outfield players were hideous and the 0-1 at home i can't particularly recall anything that made him stand out ( assuming he played both games ) .

Just curious because Wikipedia doesn't paint the whole picture for players good or bad.

It was at the grand old age of 29 he made his Football League bow. 

I've googled it actually. He was out all season until November, didn't play against us in December either. Was out most of January and February.

I presume he was injured.

Doesn't add up why he seems so highly talked of with that record?

3 hours ago, Mattholl said:

Of course, we are such an attractive proposition for players after three years of abject failure and an appalling reputation in the game to rid ourselves of.  I'm not expecting miracles but equally, i'm anticipating steady improvement.  Budget to fail, plan to succeed.

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I'm interested how Durrell seems so highly thought of on here ?

If he sat next to me on a bus i wouldn't know him.

The 0-0 at Macc if he played,  all 20 outfield players were hideous and the 0-1 at home i can't particularly recall anything that made him stand out ( assuming he played both games ) .

Just curious because Wikipedia doesn't paint the whole picture for players good or bad.

It was at the grand old age of 29 he made his Football League bow. 

I don't normally take much notice of visiting team's players but I thought that Durrell stood out in the game at Vale Park. Didn't go to the game at Macc so cannot comment on that game

He only played 16 games all season. The April game no disrespect My Granny could of bossed the midfield we were horrific.

I'm not saying he isn't any good just purely saying he has only ever played 16 times in the Football League yet even somebody like Ernie raves about him. 

9 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

He only played 16 games all season. The April game no disrespect My Granny could of bossed the midfield we were horrific.

I'm not saying he isn't any good just purely saying he has only ever played 16 times in the Football League yet even somebody like Ernie raves about him. 

On the Macc forum he is consistently voted into the all time Macclesfield XI.

As well as being described as a terrier who hassles defenders (something vale fans love), a game changer and a scorer of important goals. He is also recognised as having excellent delivery from out wide... making the prospect of him dropping pinpoint crosses on Popeys head  very exciting indeed.

I also thought he played well against us.

Archived