onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

I don't think so, no.
Askey said there are still players out there and I suppose he'll be watching and waiting. We still need at least 3 in, maybe more if anyone leaves. There is also the loan market. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 4-5 before the big kick-off. How many do we have in the squad now?

I had the number to 18 with Rawlinson and Whitfield so I think you maybe right sage 4 or 5 is a possibility

That starts to make a bit of sense doesn't it? What has Askey said in the past about his ideal squad size?

I might be wrong but it's hard to see those two here for much longer if they've been listed and told they can go. The manager might be making all the right noises about them in public but if they were told they were expendable at the end of last season you would expect them to find other clubs before the August kick-off rather than languish in the stiffs. I don't want to be unfair to them both but that's the way I see it going.

So, yes, maybe 5 more. The reserve 'keeper. A right back. Winger. We know those three are needed. Askey has admitted to that. And if two go out maybe 2 might come in, maybe 3. We tend to forget the loan market but we shouldn't. Our stock must be higher now under new owners. 

I'd hope we keep searching for a midfielder who can score. That would my choice for a fourth signing if there is one but I suppose it depends on how we play and who is available. If those two go then it frees up a little bit of money, though we might have to agree a settlement to let them leave.

Blimey. Friendly games start soon. Who would believe it?

Oh the loan market... The one we’ve used as well, as a narcoleptic managed to stay awake under the Aspin reign, for the past umpteen years...

Bringing the in by the shipload, only for them to end up making tea in the stands for half a season.

Yeah, not really expecting much on that front 🙄

14 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

Oh the loan market... The one we’ve used as well, as a narcoleptic managed to stay awake under the Aspin reign, for the past umpteen years...

Bringing the in by the shipload, only for them to end up making tea in the stands for half a season.

Yeah, not really expecting much on that front 🙄

As you quite rightly said that was under Smurthwaites Aspin Brown and Bruno's reign,are you not prepared to see what Askey and the Shanahans come up with ?

Just now, Mario said:

As you quite rightly said that was under Smurthwaites Aspin Brown and Bruno's reign,are you not prepared to see what Askey and the Shanahans come up with ?

I suspect we don't have much choice other than to wait and see. I am happier that we can start to get our good name back in football circles under the Shanahans, which will hopefully be beneficial to us in the medium to long term. 

2 hours ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I suspect we don't have much choice other than to wait and see. I am happier that we can start to get our good name back in football circles under the Shanahans, which will hopefully be beneficial to us in the medium to long term. 

I think that's really important. I also think it would help our cause if we tried to only sign loan players that we intended playing, or at least having in the match day squad.

We've generally tended to go for loan players where the parent club is only asking for a small percentage of his wages. If we want better loan players we will probably have to be prepared to contribute a bit more for them, rather than use them as cheap filler.

1 hour ago, Santa said:

We've generally tended to go for loan players where the parent club is only asking for a small percentage of his wages. If we want better loan players we will probably have to be prepared to contribute a bit more for them, rather than use them as cheap filler.

That, and the fact that we seem to have loaned players, the manager didn’t knew what even looked like when they turned up. Let alone how they played...

I don’t know if that’s how it works in general? That clubs loan players, they’ve never actually seen play?

23 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

That, and the fact that we seem to have loaned players, the manager didn’t knew what even looked like when they turned up. Let alone how they played...

I don’t know if that’s how it works in general? That clubs loan players, they’ve never actually seen play?

Most clubs don't let the chairman sign loan players without telling the manager.

Archived