onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

I remember Cummings at MK Dons being pretty steady, the amount of games he has played for a 30 year old is not great though, less than 200 with cup games included. I'd expect someone of his age to have pushing up nearer the 300 mark even if you say 8 seasons with 35 games on avg, accounting for a couple missed through injury if players break through at 18-20. That's either a lot of time injured or sat on a bench. Either that or he's had bad luck in that every team he's played for have had a better RB or made bad career choices. Appears to have played little in 6 or 7 years at Reading? 

10 hours ago, JRC said:

He has talent.

Key worries:

Worrying lack of stamina

Not quite talented enough to not do the parts of his game you highlight which he doesn't appear to enjoy.

This is his season either to come good or disappear out of full-time football. Currently their are a few odd moments in games and an occasional good 60 minutes. He needs to find ways to consistently influence games even when he isn't matched up with a player he can run rings around. There are less capable players making a living in the lower leagues; although there are equally talented players at places like Kidsgrove. It's obvious what he needs to do, it's up to him to knuckle down to achieve it.

Whitfield has ability no doubt about that. Can he do anything with it for the team is indeed the problem. Personally I think he has managers tearing their hair, or what is left of it, out because he lacks tactical discipline. If he's not in the game enough for his liking he goes looking for the ball and wastes loads of energy running around like a headless chicken.

But there is something there to work on at least, if he stays.

1 hour ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

I remember Cummings at MK Dons being pretty steady, the amount of games he has played for a 30 year old is not great though, less than 200 with cup games included. I'd expect someone of his age to have pushing up nearer the 300 mark even if you say 8 seasons with 35 games on avg, accounting for a couple missed through injury if players break through at 18-20. That's either a lot of time injured or sat on a bench. Either that or he's had bad luck in that every team he's played for have had a better RB or made bad career choices. Appears to have played little in 6 or 7 years at Reading? 

He's made a career out of being a backup. Quite tall, distribution  is ok. Not a fullback who overlaps the winger that much. Think he's only had a couple of seasons ever when he's been first choice. At this level I'm not averse to one fullback being predominately a defender but I'm not that convinced you'd want him as a regular on the right with Crookes on the left. We'd be his last chance and a big drop in salary from his time at Reading and the Millwall. With any player whose played most of his career I always think a manager needs to be really clear about their motivation in dropping down to the bottom league. It would be an odd signing if his motivation is just to play football as he's London born and played most of his football there. Personally I'd look at Harriman who was released by Wycombe who I always thought was a tidy player and has a great long throw.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:41 PM, Iron Curtain said:

Don’t believe everything you read on Facebook... if you are talking about the bloke between Popey and Danny Pugh that’s Kieren Kennedy the new centre half.

My gut reaction is Whittingham won't play again but I was told something about one of the trialists today which makes me wonder if this rumour isn't quite out of the question, or that at least one of the trialist isn't someone you'd associate with Port Vale. One of the trialists definitely drives a car well beyond the price range of a lower league footballer. The club does seem to be trying to keep one or two of the names under wraps and the 4 names being bandied about are all players it wouldn't be a shock to anyone in the game they are having trials somewhere like Vale, so not worth being evasive about. There is no way The Sentinel don't know who all 6 are as Mike Baggaley was at the club all day. Could be interesting at Kidsgrove.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

My gut reaction is Whittingham won't play again but I was told something about one of the trialists today which makes me wonder if this rumour isn't quite out of the question, or that at least one of the trialist isn't someone you'd associate with Port Vale. One of the trialists definitely drives a car well beyond the price range of a lower league footballer. The club does seem to be trying to keep one or two of the names under wraps and the 4 names being bandied about are all players it wouldn't be a shock to anyone in the game they are having trials somewhere like Vale, so not worth being evasive about. There is no way The Sentinel don't know who all 6 are as Mike Baggaley was at the club all day. Could be interesting at Kidsgrove.

To be fair if one of the lads was Cummings I imagine he has had decent earnings from his time at Reading for example to drive a sports car?

Whittingham is quality but assume has had a bad injury issue to not see him tied up last season?

18 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

To be fair if one of the lads was Cummings I imagine he has had decent earnings from his time at Reading for example to drive a sports car?

Whittingham is quality but assume has had a bad injury issue to not see him tied up last season?

He just didn't do well at Blackburn and agreed to leave part way through his contract. Maybe it was Cummings. Very top of the range 4 x 4 (more expensive than a Range Rover). I was told it was the midfield player who would surprise me if it came off. My initial thought was Charlie Adam as he genuinely just loves playing but he's at Blackburn.

2 minutes ago, JRC said:

He just didn't do well at Blackburn and agreed to leave part way through his contract. Maybe it was Cummings. Very top of the range 4 x 4 (more expensive than a Range Rover). I was told it was the midfield player who would surprise me if it came off. My initial thought was Charlie Adam as he genuinely just loves playing but he's at Blackburn.

Must be some images of said midfielder with some taken of a couple of the lads. 

Rumour is the attacking midfielder is from non league and 19 but has played a lot, couple of attacking players that are wide men/strikers.

11 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Must be some images of said midfielder with some taken of a couple of the lads. 

Rumour is the attacking midfielder is from non league and 19 but has played a lot, couple of attacking players that are wide men/strikers.

We'll see I guess. Askey plays his cards very close to his chest. There have been times when the club has leaked information, not under Askey.

Or leave it to the management team to sign the players rather than alerting other clubs to their availability. I know we all want to know but I would rather find out in two weeks that we had signed a really good player rather than find out tomorrow that he had signed for another club. 🙂

Or leave it to the management team to sign the players rather than alerting other clubs to their availability. I know we all want to know but I would rather find out in two weeks that we had signed a really good player rather than find out tomorrow that he had signed for another club.
Given our business so far I wouldn't stress to much about signing a really good player

Archived