onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

4 hours ago, Doha said:

Whitfield was involved in training at SGP. Maybe the transfer listing was a repeat of Micky Adams' fur coat.

I think the club learnt from last season that ostracising players just caused discontent. Askey has said both remain Vale players and he will play them if they come back and prove him wrong. Interesting that Whitfield came third in the endurance tests as he's never looked capable of lasting 90 minutes in either of his seasons with us. It wouldn't shock me if both have good seasons. Rawlinson looks clumsy but he's brave, strong, tall and prepared to battle with a big centreforward, which we need at times in this league. We've had worse centrehalves so If he stays I wouldn't lose too much sleep and as the window moves to its conclusion it will get harder to replace him. I'd rather have him than take a last minute risk on an under 23 loan signing who might not be capable of handling the physical side of the game.

Advert

7 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

Who are the two guys right of Monty?

Joe Berks a highly rated youth team midfielder. I can imagine he will get a loan this year to gain experience... has an eye for a wonder goal!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joe-berks-amazing-goal-best-2211047.amp

the other is Lucas Green-Birch

4 hours ago, JRC said:

I think the club learnt from last season that ostracising players just caused discontent. Askey has said both remain Vale players and he will play them if they come back and prove him wrong. Interesting that Whitfield came third in the endurance tests as he's never looked capable of lasting 90 minutes in either of his seasons with us. It wouldn't shock me if both have good seasons. Rawlinson looks clumsy but he's brave, strong, tall and prepared to battle with a big centreforward, which we need at times in this league. We've had worse centrehalves so If he stays I wouldn't lose too much sleep and as the window moves to its conclusion it will get harder to replace him. I'd rather have him than take a last minute risk on an under 23 loan signing who might not be capable of handling the physical side of the game.

Tend to agree with this. If neither of them goes, we might find they'll come in useful as the season goes on and injuries and suspensions kick in. Whitfield has a goal in him when you least expect it and Rawlinson is a typical L2 bruiser, though he is very limited. I'd prefer it if Arthur got the players he wanted - we're crying out for an experienced, battle-hardened box to box midfielder and one or both of these going to achieve it would be well worth it. We'll just have to wait and see.

Back to the "who should we sign" suggestions.

I'd like to see us bring in a young keeper as backup, someone that can learn from Brown over the next couple of years then potentially become our number 1 when Brown hangs up his gloves.

Everton have released a lad called Joe Hilton, he's a 6'5, 19 year old that spent some time on loan in non-league recently. He was at Man City before Everton where he was playing for the U-18 side when he was only 15. Seems to have been highly rated as a youngster but as with most Premier League academy players, had no chance of playing for the 1st team.

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Back to the "who should we sign" suggestions.

I'd like to see us bring in a young keeper as backup, someone that can learn from Brown over the next couple of years then potentially become our number 1 when Brown hangs up his gloves.

Everton have released a lad called Joe Hilton, he's a 6'5, 19 year old that spent some time on loan in non-league recently. He was at Man City before Everton where he was playing for the U-18 side when he was only 15. Seems to have been highly rated as a youngster but as with most Premier League academy players, had no chance of playing for the 1st team.

I agree that the backup keeper should be a young 'un - after all, what keeper with any experience is going to come and sit on the bench (for little money!). Your suggestion seems exactly the type to fit that bill.

Also, it seems highly unlikely, but I feel that we need another striker with Miller now gone, as going into the season with only 3 strikers is very risky, when you consider that those 3 include :-

Pope (who turns 34 before August is out & has struggled through large parts and then had to miss fair chunks of the last 2 seasons)

Cullen (who is a risk due to numerous injuries in the last 2 seasons, which is why Blackpool released him and presumably why he's only on a 1 year contract).

I also agree with your previous posts that we still need a proper left-back but it seems that is a moot point as Askey has long-since earmarked Crookes as first choice left-back (wrongly IMO), while still wanting to bring in a right-back, seemingly Clark, when we've already got a very similar one in Gibbons.

Hopefully the winger that Askey brings in will have some quality and be capable of chipping in with a few goals, as well as creating plenty?!

12 minutes ago, vale victory said:

So we have

Brown
Crooks
Kennedy
Smith
Legge
Gibbons
Joyce
Burgess
Oyeleke
Conlon
Worrall
Monty
Lloyd
Pope
Bennett
Cullen

Have I missed anyone ???
Askey has said he wants a full back winger and keeper

So that’s 19 he will want 23 players surely ?

Trickett-Smith

Archived