onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

No nothing. That's just UV saying we're linked with Bennett.

I read it on the Sentinel website on Tuesday morning.

Where do they get their info?

Carol's article tonight says we're in advanced talks.

Advert

Carol has given her views on what Askey is doing:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/carol-shanahan-john-askey-vale-2976603

Whilst it may re-align some fans' expectations, I particularly like:

"It is very easy to take each signing in isolation and make a judgement, often on very little information. What you see when you look at it holistically is that the players being brought in are being brought in to create a team and to create a culture."

This is how recruitment should be done, in my humble opinion. Not signing as many recognisable names as possible and figuring out what to do with them; not signing players for extorniate wages and worrying about dressing room dynamic later.

Last season, we seemingly signed some big names; everyone recognised Leon Legge, Scott Brown, Ricky Miller, Luke Joyce, Ben Whitfield. Look how that season turned out.

Building a dressing room of hard working men of good character, with some talent sprinkled throughout, is how a club like ours, without the resources of Lincoln, MK, a pre-liquidation Bury, or a Salford, gets out of this league. People will disagree but this sort of commitment to an ideal and long-term planning is what I've wanted to see for years, as opposed to throwing signings into a dressing room and hoping they'll cobble a team out of it.

Just my view. I'm seen by some as a Shanahan cheerleader but I'd have no qualms in saying I disagreed with their approach if I thought it was rubbish.

Sidenote - I did write an article recently which effectively mirrors what Carol has said: http://d3d4football.com/patience-is-a-virtue-port-vales-new-era/

Too long, didn't read; Carol's comments today have only reinforced my belief in what they're doing, but I get some won't like it.

I agree.

I also think that Carol demonstrates her leadership qualities by the way she delivers this message.

Things had gone a little quiet, people starting to get anxious.

This puts things into perspective.

Hard work running a football club!

Requires excellent communication skills.

Thank goodness we now have someone who can communicate.

I wonder how Cambridge United finished below us last season with all these great players?

You have to understand how things work on here. When judging a player without having actually seen him play, there are two options:

1) I have heard of him/know his name. Good signing!

2) I don’t know him/have never heard of him, but have seen his stats on wiki. ***** player!

My impression was that signing was going to be Lloyd but they held it back to announce it alongside Bennett.
Yeah that's how I saw it too.

I'm pretty sure Lloyd won't be announced in his own, as the social media comments would be in overdrive.

I'd say he will be announced in a double deal, possibly with an exciting striker.

And you're sure this is literally true?

The thing is Joe B , that as Vale fans we only see opposition players once or twice a season.

Guthrie was a masterclass that day, completely owned Nathan Smith, bullied him and ran him ragged.

A performance of sheer pace, power, strength and finishing skills.

The bare stats of his record don't look brilliant but as football fans you can only go on what you have seen.

The best two performances i saw last season were both at Vale Park, James Norwood and Guthrie.

Bennett and Guthrie are like chalk and cheese in their style of play and not comparable in my opinion.

I think people are knee jerk me included but there is no denying he was superb that day.

The thing is Joe B , that as Vale fans we only see opposition players once or twice a season.

Guthrie was a masterclass that day, completely owned Nathan Smith, bullied him and ran him ragged.

The bare stats of his record don't look brilliant but as football fans you can only go on what you have seen.

The best two performances i saw last season were both at Vale Park, James Norwood and Guthrie.

Bennett and Guthrie are like chalk and cheese in their style of play and not comparable in my opinion.

I think people are knee jerk me included but there is no denying he was superb that day.

100% agree, he was class.

However, I'm wary of forming judgements on players based on those one or two games, and simarly judging new signings based on the same criteria.

However, I'm wary of forming judgements on players based on those one or two games, and simarly judging new signings based on the same criteria.

Yes i agree totally. Maybe the other 40 odd games he played he was nowhere near that level.

Like i say knee jerk we can all be guilty of.

I'd be amazed if more than a handful have ever seen Burgess or Kennedy play and more to the point can remember them.

I know he is injury prone now but look at Alex Jones as a case in point. Was he about to go to New Zealand having never kicked a ball in anger for Baggies or Brum yet played excellently in League one.

Didn’t Tin Man say he signed Rocastle because he ran the game against us, and Tudor because he tore our left back to bits!

Particularly when the performances have been against Vale, which - let's be honest - didn't provide much opposition last season.

Crawley have signed Nathan Ferguson, the lad who played and scored in the Checkatrade for us and then vanished, later released as a result of attitude problems. Been at Dulwich Hamlet.

Be thankful for Ryan Lloyd, folks :wink:

On this theme Darren after Guthrie's performance at Vale Park I looked back to see if he played vs Vale at Stevenage and he did but didn't score, I couldn't remember him being outstanding in that fixture (I watched it on (iFollow).

So whether his performance at Vale Park was due to the tactics employed, his team played well, our central defenders had an off day etc who knows but it is a no brainer to watch a player many times to get a solid opinion of abilities.

Bradford doing a lot of risky business. Zeli Ismail, who has some negative reports from Walsall, as well as Adam Henley who is never fit and has just come back from the States, and a defender from Dunfermline.

On top of that, they appear to have signed Hornby to at least compete with the unpopular O'Donnell for the number 1 spot, and are signing Richards-Everton from Stanley, lad with non-league and Scottish pedigree prior to 40 games in 18 months at Stanley. 6th signing is a defender from a team called 'AFC Sudbury' from the Bostik League North, whatever that is.

Not really a single safe bet there, but they've got a top manager so should do well.

Anyone liking any other teams' businesses so far?

Northampton will either finish top 3 or bottom 3, based on Notts County this year. If the likes of Lines, Adams, McCormack all have another season in them, they should be too good for this league. If they are all past it, a la everyone Notts signed, then they are a bit of bother, as they won't be cheap.

Archived