onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/sport/football/six-strikers-who-could-lead-16388951

Crewe Chronicles suggestions for the Alex,,anyone we might be interested in ?

Bradford forum saying they would love Ball, but they recon there's no chance he would drop to L2 or that they could afford his wages, which would rule us (& Crewe out)

I'd take Angol and Cullen ( although, have I read that Askey criticised Angol's attitude towards training when they worked together at Shrewsbury??

We have the best keeper in the league. We now have three decent centre-backs at this level in Legge, Smith and Kennedy. Crookes is solid enough and realistically we can't expect better.

In midfield, Conlon got better as the season went on and has a goal in him, usually a worldie, which is important for us, while getting Oyeleke signed up is big news for us. Let's just hope he has a bit more luck on the injury front next season. Joyce looked a decent League Two player once again under Askey and so did Worrall. I'd still like us to sign a genuine wide player with pace that can beat players, someone a bit more consistent than Montano, but I don't think we're too far away in that department.

Up front is where our obvious worries are. We need at least two more forwards, with one of them ideally having scored goals at the level in the past. A 20 goal striker can make all the difference, and be the difference between a mid-table finish and a genuine play-off challenge.

Brown

New right-back?

Smith

Legge

Crookes

New winger?

Conlon

Oyeleke

Worrall

Pope

New striker?

So two out of the three players we’ve signed so far, you wouldn’t have in your first 11.

An 11 that has finished 20th in division 4.

Do you see fans concerns?

If the two we’ve signed can’t get in this god awful side then we’re back to quantity over quality!!

I expect to see quality lower league signings from here on in. This can be done well within our budget.

Realistic targets make me happy

Jack Grimmer

Paris Cowan-Hall

Fantasy island targets make me even happier

Nicky Ajose

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/released-players-championship-league-one-16252634

Paris Cowan Hall is not happening. No matter how much that sad egg Unofficial Vale wants it to happen.

He needs a life does that lad.

So two out of the three players we’ve signed so far, you wouldn’t have in your first 11.

An 11 that has finished 20th in division 4.

Do you see fans concerns?

If the two we’ve signed can’t get in this god awful side then we’re back to quantity over quality!!

I expect to see quality lower league signings from here on in. This can be done well within our budget.

We have 14 professionals mate.

Some players we sign, by definition, literally have to be back ups.

We started the summer with 10. Unless you fancy going a man short, signing some players which will be back up is not 'quality over quantity', a cliche I am beginning to detest reading.

One day Port Vale fans will realise these players were the first to be signed as there wasn't a great deal of haggling and they were keen to come.

The more expensive players take longer, unless you're Northampton and are literally throwing whatever wage a 30+ year old player demands at them. Whilst this pacifies the instant gratification fans and has 'pundits' proclaiming "I'm liking what Northampton are doing as I recognise their signings" it simply isn't a viable option for us, considering the state were in.

Sitting at your desk and saying 'I expect X and Y' doesn't change the fact Norman has ran off with all the money, and has left a club needing attention in every single area. He's taken the Hugill money, and an inflated price for the club.

We're not going to have a 25 man squad of players you recognise who have 300 games at FL level; its not practical, its not affordable, and it would restrict our chances of signing the one or two premium players we need up front.

I grow weary of posting the same thing everyday.

Mark Marshall,Alex Jones and Elliott Durrell for a start.
Mark Marshall is 33 and past it. Alex Jones is a massive gamble fitness wise. Durrell is 29 and last season was his first ever season in league football - all non-league before that. These are far worse suggestions than some that you shoot down and criticize!

Its time to play a game.

The title of this thread is 'who should we sign?' but it has become a 'I don't like this signing but I'm providing no alternative'

Please post below players you would be satisfied with signing for Port Vale. I want to see what the genuine expectations are.

If we're going onto ground of 'ex-players and Nicky Ajose' then we might as well pack it in.

Its time to play a game.

The title of this thread is 'who should we sign?' but it has become a 'I don't like this signing but I'm providing no alternative'

Please post below players you would be satisfied with signing for Port Vale. I want to see what the genuine expectations are.

If we're going onto ground of 'ex-players and Nicky Ajose' then we might as well pack it in.

Great post and quite right too!

I appreciate everything said there, and tend to agree with the majority of your posts. However, I'm not particularly fussed if there are ex-players who we are interested in as long as they improve what we have. For example, Jack Grimmer is a decent player and we need a full back, and seeing as the lad can play centre half aswell, that's a bonus. Would he drop down from League One? That's the bigger debate.

Me personally, always been a fan of Mark Cullen (Blackpool) and think with a run of games could do very well. I appreciate his strike rate in his best spell is 1 in 3, but for the right money would be worth a go in League 2 (which is probably his level).

Another lad I am a big fan of is young Aaron Collins who spent the latter half of last season at Morecambe following his release by Wolves, scored 8 in 15 for them to help them avoid the dreaded drop. Quick, mobile and if I remember right had a great loan spell at Notts County a couple of seasons ago, while he was still being used as a wide player. He's a lad finding his way in the game, and possibly a bit of a gamble, but one that could be worth very serious consideration.

Archived