onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

A trio of Manny, Joyce and Conlon is very good for this level.

Joyce sitting, with Manny and Conlon getting about the pitch looked very good in patches under Askey.

Hopefully a pre season will enhance this further.

I think Manny and Conlon have shown they have the ability to get goals. Both should be looking for 10 between them at least under Askey's system.

Advert

I presume this relates to Joyce?

If so, I completely agree although i had some sympathy for his poor form under Aspin. Joyce is a player whose game is built on receiving the ball from full-backs and centre-backs and knitting the play together. Under Aspin the defenders simply launched it over his head so he was unable to perform or show his best quality. Once Askey started to play decent football I thought Joyce was excellent.

For me, the Manny signing is immense. A midfield 3 of Joyce, Manny and Conlon is very decent although I would like to see a 1st team quality box to box midfielder that can make runs beyond the forwards and bag a few goals as we are short of goals from central-midfield.

Good Post...

Didn’t see that before my previous post.... they seem to be spending big or living within their means?

Spending big I think. When you sign so many players so early you are clearly paying top dollar. They have gone for experience mostly bit with some promising younger signings. Just where the money has come from I shudder to think. Are Northampton the next Bury? Win promotion but at a price they can't afford. Only time will tell.

I'm going off at a tangent here so apologies.

But seeing as lack of goals is mentioned a lot on here.

Am I right in thinking that the various defenders who played 184 games between them ( 46*4) that only Legge and Rawlinson with one each actually scored ?

Smith hasn't scored maybe since Coventry at home Boxing Day and can't recall a full back scoring.

Legge bar Crewe and Swindon away never seemed to threaten despite his frame.

Be nice to up that total even if only to 5 or 6 between them

We’re a mile off. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

We’ve signed Burgess and Kennedy who are totally unproven in the football league. That is it.

There is plenty of time left and I’m very hopeful that Askey will bring in the players we need. Especially one proven goalscorer. But please shut up with your fake news with us not being far away from becoming a good league 2 team.

We are minimum 4 experienced lower league players away.

Totally agree.

4 experienced lower league players needed AND

they have to be able to score / create goals

We are raving about Worrals performances in the last few games

but he has never scored goals. He is a 4 a season man at best.

He also does not fit the bill as a out and out winger who will create

goals for the strikers.

Strikers that we need to sign still !

Strikers that will need x 25 goals between them

There were games where Manny played too deep and rarely moved forward.

Hopefully he was playing under orders and this wont happen next season.

When he did get forward he looked a useful midfield player.

Not sure how many goals are in him but it has to be x 10 minimum.

Conlon has more skill than most and can find the net, hopefully quite often, next season. it needs to be x 8 minimum

His overall midfield play and 90 minutes stamina needs to improve.

Joyce will come good as the holding midfield player but will score

1 a season at most.

When we all put down our teams on paper, just add , realistically ,

how many goals they expect each player to score !

That will help to see if we look a top half team or not

We’re a mile off. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

We’ve signed Burgess and Kennedy who are totally unproven in the football league. That is it.

There is plenty of time left and I’m very hopeful that Askey will bring in the players we need. Especially one proven goalscorer. But please shut up with your fake news with us not being far away from becoming a good league 2 team.

We are minimum 4 experienced lower league players away.

I agree with you completely, just be nice add a bit off proven in now with league experience, say we need another 4-5 players in before the season starts.

I agree with you completely, just be nice add a bit off proven in now with league experience, say we need another 4-5 players in before the season starts.

They have to be starting players though not squad players. I think people are forgetting just how bad we were last season.

Im saying once again as in where we have been short on goals for the last two seasons. Its a massive few weeks in recruitment for me as to where we will finish.

mid table at very best but i suppose we have to accept that with new owners. Thats all keep hearing

Lack of goal threat in the players we have so far is certainly going to be a problem.

No different than not liking a manager in any job though sadly. Some managers get the best out of you some managers don’t. In essence that’s what management is. Watching aspins football from the stands and listening to him speak can you honestly say you would have been thrilled to be at work in such a negative environment? Couple all that with how the club was being run and our form I can understand why some players would feel completely dejected each week. Not sticking up for players merely stating that sometimes there are reasons behind players not playing their best football and it’s not always just ‘I’m not playing for him”. Just to pick up on your point of playing for the shirt this simply doesn’t exist in the modern game. They play for the highest bidder.

One little snippet that got out of the dressing room during Aspin's reign was that during important bits in team talks. He. Would. Clap. His. Hands. After. Every. Word.

Far from helping him to get his point across, the players would take the **** out of it behind his back. I think they even had a sweep going about how many times he would clap his hands.

One little snippet that got out of the dressing room during Aspin's reign was that during important bits in team talks. He. Would. Clap. His. Hands. After. Every. Word.

Far from helping him to get his point across, the players would take the **** out of it behind his back. I think they even had a sweep going about how many times he would clap his hands.

Ever listen to the Undr The Cosh podcasts with Jon Parkin, Chris Brown and Hoyland?

I find them fascinating and it gives a really good insight into how players see things like different managers and how that effects them.

I had the David Norris one on this morning. He talked about steve Evans, Holloway, warnock and Roy Keane.

I can absolutely relate to the fact that players don't perform for certain managers. It's not that they aren't trying or won't. But there's no way you can motivate yourself to get that extra edge needed under some managers.

Parkin mentioned westley for example. He said when the players were in the gym, he'd walk in and, say, randomly stand on a players back who was doing pressups.

He called himself The Medal Winner due to his title at stevenage. This is in a dressing room that included a champions league winner in Neil Mellor.

Odd to say the very very least.

Ever listen to the Undr The Cosh podcasts with Jon Parkin, Chris Brown and Hoyland?

I find them fascinating and it gives a really good insight into how players see things like different managers and how that effects them.

I had the David Norris one on this morning. He talked about steve Evans, Holloway, warnock and Roy Keane.

I can absolutely relate to the fact that players don't perform for certain managers. It's not that they aren't trying or won't. But there's no way you can motivate yourself to get that extra edge needed under some managers.

Parkin mentioned westley for example. He said when the players were in the gym, he'd walk in and, say, randomly stand on a players back who was doing pressups.

He called himself The Medal Winner due to his title at stevenage. This is in a dressing room that included a champions league winner in Neil Mellor.

Odd to say the very very least.

Hugs seem the way forward these days?

Archived