onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Do you still believe Durrell will cost the same as Lloyd like you said earlier?

Or is someone starting to understand the need to balance more affordable players with those that demand a higher wage.

Good for you Ern!!

Smaller squad means you have to be confident a player can start 20 games. I get signing ex Macc players because promoted teams normally do well. Wage restraints at Macc pretty much decimated their team and I suspect Burgess and Kennedy were among the more influential players. I'd be happy if Durrel came as well. I don't boo and I'll give Lloyd support but I just don't see him having improved. One great cross in a night game away from home for a Pope header apart (cant remember the opposition) I just remember a player each game passed by. He must have something because managers kept giving him another contract. He's got to show a lot more than last time around to justify an unexpected second chance: maybe he will.

Advert

And keeping Garlick as CEO with his record in the last 3 years.

Can’t blame the Fat Controller now...

The fat mentalist has only been gone a few weeks - what has Garlick done / not done during that period that he ought to be sacked for? You're just a grumpy old twit!

The only thing I trust about Askey is that he is trying to take us into non league where he is comfortable and knows his level.

You do realize he could have done that last season?...AND been able to blame someone else? You really ought to engage brain before opening big gob!

That'll sell season tickets.

Sometimes it's better to be vague John. Keep up appearances.

He’s definitely too honest sometimes and even though I’m sure the majority of people know beyond a shadow of doubt that we are unfortunately very much at the bottom of the metaphorical football food chain, sometimes things are best left unsaid.

Askey seems to be doing well to me so far. He is retaining the players I want to retain, releasing the players I want releasing and he has signed players that make sense. There is a challenge ahead to get in players who will score more goals.

Askey seems to be doing well to me so far. He is retaining the players I want to retain, releasing the players I want releasing and he has signed players that make sense. There is a challenge ahead to get in players who will score more goals.

Neat summary. Askey is doing a decent job of tidying up the mess created by Smurf.

Is he though? So far in terms of signings he’s done exactly the same as aspin did last season. Signing non league players that he knows. Like Hannant and vassell.

Good question 🙂

The next few signings are crucial.

It does rather all feel familiar..back in the day, when we got promoted from this division we had experienced, good players.

Our worst striker for example, was Calvin Andrew, a guy who had played Championship games for Crystal Palace!

Lee Hughes and Pope were the main men.

Today we have...an older Pope and erm Ricky Millar...

The new signings are basically gambles.

Is he though? So far in terms of signings he’s done exactly the same as aspin did last season. Signing non league players that he knows. Like Hannant and vassell.
Good point.

I've been a bit critical of the signings so far, but Askey did say in a recent interview he doesn't want too many more non league signings. So I'm hopeful that the next 7-8 will be from the FL.

It does rather all feel familiar..back in the day, when we got promoted from this division we had experienced, good players.

Our worst striker for example, was Calvin Andrew, a guy who had played Championship games for Crystal Palace!

Lee Hughes and Pope were the main men.

Today we have...an older Pope and erm Ricky Millar...

The new signings are basically gambles.

Well, yes, but let's look at that pre-season without hindsight.

We had Tom Pope, a man whose best ever season was 12 goals, detested by his former club, and had scored 5 in 45 for us the previous season. He was striker number 1. The sole goal getter.

We had Louis Dodds, a popular and decent player but not a prolific scorer and not really a striker, who had never reached double figures in a season.

We had Ben Williamson, a raw but promising striker who the previous season had scored 3 in 37.

I distinctly remember a meltdown on here as we had lost Marc Richards and Sean Rigg, who between them has contributed 30 goals the prior season, and not replaced them with 'proven strikers'.

My point is, that it is all well and good saying Hughes and Pope were our main men, but; pre-season Pope was largely seen as an unprolific carthorse, and Lee Hughes was playing for Notts County. We only were able to sign Hughes due to being top of the league, as a result of Tom Pope's excellent form. Calvin Andrew wasn't signed till November.

Let's not rewrite history. And let's wait for the summer to run its course before we get so worked up about what are clearly young squad players who Askey trusts. Let's not label them 'gambles' until we know what role they are to play. We simply cannot afford or attract 25 professionals who have hundreds of games at FL level; some will have to be cheap/inexperienced, or you risk not having enough money to sign the premium players.

Some players have to be brought in under the proviso that they are to serve as backup players, as substitutes, competing with the first 11 to ensure standards are high and replacements are available. I imagine Burgess, Kennedy, and Lloyd will be of this ilk. Calm down. When we've made all of our signings we can judge whether these players were sensible buys. Or, and here's a radical suggestion, see them play.

Well, yes, but let's look at that pre-season without hindsight.

We had Tom Pope, a man whose best ever season was 12 goals, detested by his former club, and had scored 5 in 45 for us the previous season. He was striker number 1. The sole goal getter.

We had Louis Dodds, a popular and decent player but not a prolific scorer and not really a striker, who had never reached double figures in a season.

We had Ben Williamson, a raw but promising striker who the previous season had scored 3 in 37.

I distinctly remember a meltdown on here as we had lost Marc Richards and Sean Rigg, who between them has contributed 30 goals the prior season, and not replaced them with 'proven strikers'.

My point is, that it is all well and good saying Hughes and Pope were our main men, but; pre-season Pope was largely seen as an unprolific carthorse, and Lee Hughes was playing for Notts County. We only were able to sign Hughes due to being top of the league, as a result of Tom Pope's excellent form. Calvin Andrew wasn't signed till November.

Let's not rewrite history. And let's wait for the summer to run its course before we get so worked up about what are clearly young squad players who Askey trusts. Let's not label them 'gambles' until we know what role they are to play. We simply cannot afford or attract 25 professionals who have hundreds of games at FL level; some will have to be cheap/inexperienced, or you risk not having enough money to sign the premium players.

Some players have to be brought in under the proviso that they are to serve as backup players, as substitutes, competing with the first 11 to ensure standards are high and replacements are available. I imagine Burgess, Kennedy, and Lloyd will be of this ilk. Calm down. When we've made all of our signings we can judge whether these players were sensible buys. Or, and here's a radical suggestion, see them play.

Excellent post...

And he has said he will need more players in with league experience

Archived