onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

you look at clubs like burton Accrington and now Newport if you can get a good small squad together you can do great things, with all money coming into the club staying in the club I'm really looking forward to see what players will come in, the buzz around the place as got to entice players to want to come to port vale

Newport had the same sized squad as us at the end of the season - but our registered squad included Nelson Agho (school boy) and Green Birch (youth player). Accrington had 5 more than us, although I don't know the figure from last season. All the other play-off teams this year had between 6 and 10 more registered players than Vale this season. Without loans within the season I've got no idea what the ideal squad size but its a lot more than the 17/18 Rudge sometimes got away with.

Advert

Yes I like Jack Grimmer, but is it time for us to move away from signing ex players. I know Marc Richards is being talked about but age and injuries (goes missing Nov-Feb)would put me off.
Why limit our options by ruling out former players, especially those that were only on loan? I'm solely interested in whether they can improve us or not regardless of who they have played for before.

People don't have a fixation with signing ex-players.

Its just in the hundreds of jobbing lower league players released every year, the dozen or so who used to play for us are the only ones people recognise/can form an opinion over.

I don't think people are clinging to the vestiges of the glory years of Port Vale 14/15 - they just recognise Chris Robertson, and not generic right back with 150+ games at League 2 level #7

People don't have a fixation with signing ex-players.

Its just in the hundreds of jobbing lower league players released every year, the dozen or so who used to play for us are the only ones people recognise/can form an opinion over.

I don't think people are clinging to the vestiges of the glory years of Port Vale 14/15 - they just recognise Chris Robertson, and not generic right back with 150+ games at League 2 level #7

Pretty much the long and short of it, with Lines he's the only name I noticed from their released list.

We need someone like Harry Pell at Colchester, however it would need a six figure transfer fee.

As it is only the start of the rebuilding, I think transfer fees will have to wait with 8 - 12 players coming in. We can hope of course for a big cup windfall to boost the 20/21 season.

Alex Jones? Released by Bradford.

Brad Innman?

Matt Done (out of contract at Rochdale but offered a deal)?

Jamie Ness and Lionel Ainsworth released by Plymouth?

After the way Alex Jones celebrated for Bradford with his handball goal after all we'd done for him,he can jog on in my opinion

Yes I like Jack Grimmer, but is it time for us to move away from signing ex players. I know Marc Richards is being talked about but age and injuries (goes missing Nov-Feb)would put me off.

Askey wants mobile strikers so I think that would rule Richards out now

And further boost those, who can actually afford to pay silly money, which a few still can. And Salford if they come up.

Which in turn, will break the League in 2 or 3 pieces. And we get something like the PL, where 2 teams run away, 20-30 points from no. 3-7. Over 40 from no. 7 and so on.

So you won't be competing to win the League, but to be "best of the rest". Pros and cons :wink:

I'm not saying, I think it's morally right to go up be overspending, like Bury. That is, in my eyes at least, cheating. Because they are gaining an unfair advantage, by spending money they don't have.

That is why I believe, that every club that gains succes from overspending, gets everything they deserve when the cardhouse falls down. They don't deserve sympathy. They only get punished, because they used EPO on their budget.

I agree about Bury. Ground already mortgaged on a large loan. Spent heavily on the likes of Maynard this season yet unable to pay wages despite a season at the top end of expectations. Seems almost certain they'll have a big points deduction and be back in league 2 for 2020/21. Entirely feasible they'll go out of existence. If clubs behave like this there should be the ultimate sanction.

There's a player I like at Stevenage, James Ball. 6'3, 23 year old centre midfielder with 4 goals in 21 games last season.

He was only signed from Stockport for a "five figure fee" last summer and Stevenage's manager described him as "big, strong, box-to-box, can cover a lot of ground and can score goals from midfield".

Oddly, he just fell out of favour and didn't feature much after Christmas and he's been transfer listed now.

Young, hungry, athletic with a point to prove. I think he'd be an excellent signing for us.

There's a player I like at Stevenage, James Ball. 6'3, 23 year old centre midfielder with 4 goals in 21 games last season.

He was only signed from Stockport for a "five figure fee" last summer and Stevenage's manager described him as "big, strong, box-to-box, can cover a lot of ground and can score goals from midfield".

Oddly, he just fell out of favour and didn't feature much after Christmas and he's been transfer listed now.

Young, hungry, athletic with a point to prove. I think he'd be an excellent signing for us.

I hate Stevenage, but you make a good case for the player. He sounds like a mobile Kay.

Archived