onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who should we sign?

leedsvaliant

Advert

I think people need to calm down a little... Carol (fingers crossed) will bring a sensible approach to running the vale, which is exactly what we need.

Thinking we have any chance of signing Szmodics or Mayor is unrealistic and a little daft!

Yes we have to build the off field revenue 1st, then hopefully in the future a better class of play on the field, in that order, non of this cra# of speculate to accumulate, let's build from within, keep the faith, keep believing up the Vale

More than anything else we need to sign some players with goals in them. When you look at our list of goalscorers, it's pretty thin once you've got past Tom:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/port-vale/top-scorers

I'm not sure what to expect in terms of funding if Synectics take over, but good strikers don't come cheap and we can't keep taking chances on non-league players to make up our main strike force, untried in the football league. Our problem is competing financially with other clubs, so I just hope that the Shanahans have got a few savings in their piggy bank.

To strengthen our midfield I'd go for Elliot Durrell from Macc but he's not a goalscorer (just 4 league goals this season). So we might go as well for Scott Wilson also from Macc who's scored 23 in 60 games, 10 this season at a rate of one every 188 minutes, and was I think signed by Askey.

I'd also go for Enzio Boldwijn for right midfield who would give us some pace and trickery as well as a few goals (5 league goals this season).

Then, if can really push the boat out I'd go for Kane Hemmings who's scored 105 goals in 255 games, 14 this season at a rate of one every 193 minutes. I doubt he'll fancy playing in non-league so it might be worth an approach. He's got one year left on his contract, so would cost a bob or two.

To put those stats into context, Tom has scored 12 league goals this season, one every 265 minutes.

We've signed top players before under Rudge in the nineties and wouldn't it be good to see those days back at Vale Park? Never say never!

Those names would certainly be good signings but out of those only Wilson and Durrell would be realistic,we will pay better wages than we do but I don't believe carol will go silly,you only have to look at the teams now struggling to pay players...its certainly going to get interesting

I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t look at Lee Angol.

Askey signed him for the Shrews, he didn’t play after Askey was sacked and was loaned to Lincoln but hasn’t really featured

Sure I read in The Sentinel that we tried to sign him in January. (possibly on that ridiculous last day of the window after Aspin had gone?)

Sure I read in The Sentinel that we tried to sign him in January. (possibly on that ridiculous last day of the window after Aspin had gone?)

We did, along with another one of Askey’s Shrews signings Sam Jones.

Jones turned us down and ended up at Cheltenham I think.

I'd like to see us target the better players from smaller clubs that are out of contract.

When Smurthwaite clears off, even without any financial boost from Carol, our superior gates should generate more revenue than the likes of Crawley/Stevenage/Cheltenham/Morecambe etc so let's poach their star men.

Haven`t Cheltenham got a wealthy backer?

Let’s hope he can get a few out because I doubt carol will be able to provide a budget to compete at the higher end.

He will have to wheel and deal I think and hopefully he can pick a few up who can Improve us. If only we had owners who could back him with who he wanted.

I’m looking forward to seeing the new owners plans for the club as well

I know this is very early but who should we try to sign to push us on? For me maybe someone like szmodics (sp?) and maybe a non league striker like Rowe from Fylde or McCallum from eastleigh?

I'm guessing we'll have a reasonable budget to go at, so I'm hoping we actually sign some in form or established players rather than hopeful punts or past its

I think it's more a case of who can we sign?

As usual it's all about the money.

Yes. It's always about the money but should the takeover go through then there will be such a great feelgood factor about the club that I think players will buy in to.

Hopefully players turning us down due to Smurf's reputation will not be a factor.

several mentions for Enzio Boldwijn, but if you look on the Notts forum, hes mentioned as one of the reasons they went down.

Is on a big wage there I believe but if we can get in players like Angol and Jones then they would improve the team and I would guess could be structured into our new wage structure

I think it's more a case of who can we sign?

As usual it's all about the money.

They cant and wont throw millions at it and we don't expect that but they will have a better wage policy as they know what it costs to get players in,i also expect all monies that goes into the club to be spent on the club unlike Gorm….I don't expect us to be scraping the barrel for the likes of dodds at a few hundred quid a week

I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t look at Lee Angol.

Askey signed him for the Shrews, he didn’t play after Askey was sacked and was loaned to Lincoln but hasn’t really featured

I checked Angol's scoring record on wiki and it seems he's done really well in non-league but has struggled a bit in the EFL scoring just 26 goals in 116, which is not that brilliant if we are looking for a prolific forward. It may though have depended on where they played him because he's listed as a midfielder/forward. If most of his goals were from midfield (and he's over 6'1", which would give us some much needed height in the centre of the pitch), that's not too shabby. Anyway, I guess Arthur will know all about him.

Archived