onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

John Askey – it was an awful day

News Feed

Port Vale manager John Askey says that the 1-0 home loss to Macclesfield Town was an “awful day.” The Valiants suffered yet another poor defeat at Vale Park. Askey told the official Port Vale website: “It was an awful day for us and there has been too many over the season. “Hopefully this is the […]

The post John Askey – it was an awful day appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

Well if he is still here next season hes the man to do it...cut deep, cut hard.

Yes, I agree, whoever is here next season needs to cut hard - but I'm afraid Askey is not the man to do it. For too long we've accepted second best and relying on a manager with such limited league experience and such a poor win ratio (about 27%) is just too much of a risk.

Let's hope that Synectic take over and appoint someone with a track record of success at this level and give him the budget to go with it. I'm thankful to Askey for saving us from the drop but I genuinely doubt that he has the qualities to take us any further. There are better managers out there and I recognise it will take money to bring them to Vale Park but it can be done. I really, really hope that our prospective new owners will go for it.

Can you name another manager who would have won the National League with Macc on a budget of £350,000?

Lets see which players he is happy to keep first of all

We have an awful squad of players.

Even some of the so called better players will not be good enough for a play off push.

Then we will see what budget he is given and how he spends it.

350000 k is peanuts but we are not non league, just.

I dont see several non league players coming in and turning us around.

Can you name another manager who would have won the National League with Macc on a budget of £350,000?

No, I would readily agree that it was a great achievement and I would never undervalue his success there; but the national league is not League 2 and who knows whether it could ever be done again. I would also give Askey the credit he deserves for saving us from the drop, which might well have seen the end of the club. However, there is little evidence from his short tenure in league football that he will be the kind of successful manager we need. In 36 league games (over three quarters of a season) his win ratio is only 25% - 9 wins out of 36 games (not sure if that includes today's debacle). He may, of course, be better than these statistics suggest but we can't take the risk of another season like the last three. It would just be asking for trouble.

The last really good manager we had was Mickey and if we want that sort of success again, the new owners need to invest in talent and skill of that order together with a lot more players of quality. It comes down to what our ambition is and what we're prepared to pay. Do we want another relatively untried manager or are we going to recruit someone with a proven track record at this level? The last thing we need is to make yet another mistake, resulting in a change of manager mid-season.

I know there are no guarantees in football but, generally speaking, unless you are very lucky, you get what you pay for, as in life.

No, I would readily agree that it was a great achievement and I would never undervalue his success there; but the national league is not League 2 and who knows whether it could ever be done again. I would also give Askey the credit he deserves for saving us from the drop, which might well have seen the end of the club. However, there is little evidence from his short tenure in league football that he will be the kind of successful manager we need. In 36 league games (over three quarters of a season) his win ratio is only 25% - 9 wins out of 36 games (not sure if that includes today's debacle). He may, of course, be better than these statistics suggest but we can't take the risk of another season like the last three. It would just be asking for trouble.

The last really good manager we had was Mickey and if we want that sort of success again, the new owners need to invest in talent and skill of that order together with a lot more players of quality. It comes down to what our ambition is and what we're prepared to pay. Do we want another relatively untried manager or are we going to recruit someone with a proven track record at this level? The last thing we need is to make yet another mistake, resulting in a change of manager mid-season.

I know there are no guarantees in football but, generally speaking, unless you are very lucky, you get what you pay for, as in life.

When Aspin left I wanted us to get an experienced manager - Gary Bowyer. He went to Bradford, has won two games in 10 and Bradford have been relegated by miles. As you say, there are no guarantees.

According to Ray Williams he thinks its pretty certain Askey will stay providing the takeover goes through. It will be interested to see our retained list following on from Askeys comments about lack of professionalism. Seemed he was referring to more than the odd bad apple.

True. Sounds like at least half a barrel full of bad apples by the sound of it.

When Aspin left I wanted us to get an experienced manager - Gary Bowyer. He went to Bradford, has won two games in 10 and Bradford have been relegated by miles. As you say, there are no guarantees.

It's easy to be selective: when Bowyer was manager at Blackburn, he had a 75% win ratio so taking out just 10 games from his record isn't convincing. When he was at Blackpool, his win ratio was only 36% but he did enough to get them promoted and keep them up. It will be interesting to see how he does next season back in a league where he has done so well previously.

For every example of experienced managers who fall on hard times, there are many more who do better. It's all about risk and ambition - a tried and tested league manager would have more chance than one who is cutting his teeth on league football. I hope, if Askey stays (and I accept it's more likely than not), that he does well and we succeed. I would be the first to congratulate him but I doubt we will do much better than this season. If you want quality, you have to pay for it, both in managers and players. It's not an unexceptional rule of football, but it's pretty close.

The point I was making was that both us and Bradford wanted an appointment that would save them from relegation. We achieved it with Askey, they didn't with the much more experienced Bowyer. Would Bowyer have done it at Vale? Who knows, but the majority on here thought we were doomed in February and he's pulled it round despite all the off-field rubbish that's been going on with the squad. The fact that he has been honest enough to publicly denounce some of his players for their behaviour says to me that he is the sort of bloke we need to sort the club out. I believe we will get better under Askey - not world-beaters next season but steady progress with decent owners who bring a far better ethos to the club than the morally bankrupt era we have lived through recently.

Askey inherited an unfit unmotivated squad.

It took him 4 games to a win because of the lack of motivation ,fitness and some appalling decisions by the officials. He did turn it around and got good results.

He did what the fans wanted staying up and better football. Who knows where we’ll go from now but it won’t ever be as bad as this season.

Askey inherited an unfit unmotivated squad.

It took him 4 games to a win because of the lack of motivation ,fitness and some appalling decisions by the officials. He did turn it around and got good results.

He did what the fans wanted staying up and better football. Who knows where we’ll go from now but it won’t ever be as bad as this season.

If Fat Face stays, I beg to differ.

He and he alone is the problem. If he is still in charge come August, then expect another relegation battle. Aspin did relatively well last season, as has done Askey since his arrival.

However, if our sole viewpoint is that avoiding relegation from the Football League is “success”, this then shows how far we have fallen under The Blue One’s stewardship.

I blame no manager entirely for our recent tribulations who has had to suffer Smurfthwaite as their boss.

And in there lies our problem.

Archived