onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Hereford 1, Vale 2 - Post Match comments

valiant_593

Can I just ask a simple question, no harm intended, I've just noticed something on here, that I hope someone can answer.

But 9 out of 10 times when we win, it's either because 'we rode our luck' or because the other team was 'woeful'.

It's almost never because Vale did well or kept grinding. Can't people just try to look at the positives? Take this match for instance. We've just won there for the first time since 1983 (I read somewhere on here), and still Hereford were a terrible team and we were very lucky. Not saying we were not, as I wasn't there to see it, but how about focusing on the positive instead? 3 points in a place we haven't won in 18 years!

Hope people know where I'm coming from with this...

this is OneValeFan, don't expect any positivity, it's littered with wristslashers and people who reside in SOT who imo are generally very pessimistic about everything.

Advert

Did you go yesterday Deano?

Griff was excellent.

Taylor is good on the ball, it's off the ball he is poor.

Not for me, he has very, very little end product.

His decision making of when to run with the ball and when to pass and move let's him down regularly every game. I think he is the most frustrating and overrated player in the squad.

Did you go yesterday Deano?

Griff was excellent.

Taylor is good on the ball, it's off the ball he is poor.

No SV

Boxing day is always xmas day with my daughter

griff does not have enough quality to be in a team that strokes the ball around, fortunately for him we are not that kind of team

if we want to change how we play, he and the others have to go

we dont have that kind of money so have to adapt our style to suit the squad, part of this adaption means we have to have a very good target man

ChrisR,

Cheers bud!

Listening to P & G, reading on here and talking to other Valeites, I've often thought that I was in a minority of one on this!

Folk tend to wax lyrical on Pope's undoubted workrate but tend not to focus on wider issues!

Count me in to your little club as well chaps. Well thought out and drafted post which has obvious truths throughout.

I didn't go yesterday so I can't comment but I'm sure last week against Aldershot Pope was very instrumental in our 4-0 win! :rolleyes:

He was indeed and, as tisdeano said, he set up three goals. The long ball and knock on worked against Aldershot, it wasn't working against Hereford. We are very fortunate that we have the personnel to be able to change things as we did yesterday.

I have a lot of time for Popey, his work rate is exemplary and his desire to do well for the Vale is unquestioned.He normally wins a lot in the air, yesterday he wasn't and we relied far to much on the long ball up to him.

He was indeed and, as tisdeano said, he set up three goals. The long ball and knock on worked against Aldershot, it wasn't working against Hereford. We are very fortunate that we have the personnel to be able to change things as we did yesterday.

I have a lot of time for Popey, his work rate is exemplary and his desire to do well for the Vale is unquestioned.He normally wins a lot in the air, yesterday he wasn't and we relied far to much on the long ball up to him.

Fair enough, horses for courses but I got a feeling there was a general feeling that Pope's style was detrimental on the whole, all his assists against Aldershot were nothing to do with the long ball.

One of Pope's strengths is his ability to lay off little balls or flick ons into areas that where he knows that defenders will be put under pressure. If the other forward players can read him and give him some decent movement to work with then it can be quite productive.

I rate Popey and last week against Aldershot showed how he can have a massive hand in a win (3 goals scored with him being quality) without him scoring.

But like yesterday it shows how good it is when you can call Richards and Williamson and even Rigg off the bench and it proved that the extra edge gave us the victory.

The thing is despite Madjo and Pope doing well against Dagenham and Aldershot, is it time for Williamson and Ricahrds to be recalled for Macc?...

I think it is.

If you watched the No 9 Hereford had, he had a whole box of tricks that kept us on our toes all game - he looked a class act, and I'd love to see someone like that at the Vale. He never looked like scoring, to be honest, but his touch and movement were spot on all game - and he did win things in the air at times as well.....

I think the difference between him and Pope was quite startling - and I would always give Popey credit for his effort and workrate - and his touch at times, but it is at times, not all the time. When he's good he's good enough....

I thought Madjo had a sluggish game yesterday, and didn't impress - and Taylor was far too lightweight for that match - we were surprised at the substitutions all happening at once, we were thinking one at a time would have been better but he did get it right....total game changer.....but it was Yatesy who really swung the game by keeping his head, and placing it rather than just blasting it.

I thought Williamson looked very useful when he came on too.

For those of you who don't rate Griff - two points. One, if it hadn't been for him we'd have been totally overrun in the first half, because no-one else was winning the ball, and Two -he played a number of sublime passes inside the fullback for JMW to run onto, some of which astonished us. He's not the world's best ballplayer, but he never gives up, and never lets us down......For me, he's like Goober used to be - only with a little more pace, I think.

For those of you who don't rate Griff - two points. One, if it hadn't been for him we'd have been totally overrun in the first half, because no-one else was winning the ball, and Two -he played a number of sublime passes inside the fullback for JMW to run onto, some of which astonished us. He's not the world's best ballplayer, but he never gives up, and never lets us down......For me, he's like Goober used to be - only with a little more pace, I think.

I'd agree with that and whilst I recognise Griff isn't Iniesta he's far from top of the list of players we could improve on. Also, Griff is a better player now than he was 12 months ago so why can't he continue to improve?

Griff is one of the few players who have improved each season they have been with us, in fact of the current squad he's about the only one, but he shouldn't be compared to Goober!

Porter was a vastly under-rated player and, don't forget, played much of his football in Division One/The Championship. Somewhere Griff is unlikely to ever play.

MagicFlask,

I totally agree on Hereford's number 9. In fact, I was saving that as my follow-up point!

The standard of football in this division, I think, isn't as bad as the wider media would have us believe. I just wish that we could get our team to punch its weight and let the opposition worry about us more than we about them. Without any sense of arrogance, that is.

Hence why I'd like to see us play in the somewhat more expansive style that we eventually saw at Edgar Street. Far more difficult, that, for the opposition to prepare for. We don't need to spend a fortune to do it (we couldn't anyway, of course). It's down to the scouting staff to identify potential players and the management to bring it to fruition.

Despite the result, I enjoyed watching Cheltenham play against us the other week. They've some good individuals with decent technique who, crucually, have several options when on the ball. I'd love to see someone like Marlon Pack in our midfield.

With all due respect, if Cheltenham can do it, so can we.

Archived