Lack of professionalism amongst minority of PV players

philmpv

John Askey - "I have said before that the main thing is to get the recruitment right because there are things that have gone on in my short stay here that shouldn't go on.

"I have had to deal with things I have never dealt with in 30 odd years of being in football."

Rather cryptic (perhaps unsurprisingly), but it does make you wonder who he is referring to and what, exactly, the 'things' are.

Advert:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think there's one who likes a drink?

I thought that, but the most intriguing part for me is the 'things' that JA has never had to deal with in 30 years in football. I'm sure over that period he's seen most things!

Is Miller under contract for another year?

Yes he is. The Sentinel has posted an article confirming the contract status of all first team players today.

Interestingly, it says that Manny has an option for an extension for a further year, though it's not at all clear whether that needs to be activated by the Club or by Manny. If it's the former, I would activate it as soon as the takeover is complete or falls apart.

Advert:

I thought that, but the most intriguing part for me is the 'things' that JA has never had to deal with in 30 years in football. I'm sure over that period he's seen most things!

But he’s probably never had someone like Fat Face as a boss before.

For someone so non commital, does this indicate that he feels that in the not too distant future we might all be free from the Blue One ?

God only hopes so.

Best of luck Notts !

The Sentinel has posted an article confirming the contract status of all first team players today.

Interestingly, it says that Manny has an option for an extension for a further year, though it's not at all clear whether that needs to be activated by the Club or by Manny. If it's the former, I would activate it as soon as the takeover is complete or falls apart.

It says the same for Worrall, and he, too, needs keeping on for next season.

I initially thought he was talking about Smurthwaite at first? Fits the bill - unprofessional and does things he's never seen in football (like threatening to liquidate his own club).

Radio Stoke introduced the interview referencing players who will have to leave if Askey gets the job.

Advert:

Although he took over shortly afterwards, maybe he is referring to Smurthwaites signing of 4 loan players and Askey having to accommodate them in training plans etc despite clearly not rating them or deeming them ready for first team football?

For an experienced manager of 30 years like Arthur to be saying that there's stuff he'd never had to deal with before tells me there was something seriously wrong with the club when he took over. Can't for the life of me believe it's drink related as that seems to be common if not endemic within football. So what on earth was it? Pretty sad stuff to be honest - and no wonder we've struggled with levels of unprofessionalism of that order. It all needs a good shake up if you ask me - and maybe Arthur's the bloke to do it.

Yes he is. The Sentinel has posted an article confirming the contract status of all first team players today.

I imagine the extensions depend on appearances.

That’s why we were lumbered with Pugh and Tonge last year.

Also players can have their contracts terminated for gross misconduct if they have drink or drug issues.

For an experienced manager of 30 years like Arthur to be saying that there's stuff he'd never had to deal with before tells me there was something seriously wrong with the club when he took over. Can't for the life of me believe it's drink related as that seems to be common if not endemic within football. So what on earth was it? Pretty sad stuff to be honest - and no wonder we've struggled with levels of unprofessionalism of that order. It all needs a good shake up if you ask me - and maybe Arthur's the bloke to do it.

I think that every manager we've has in the past 10-15 years has come out and said something similar. Didn't Sinnot say something about a root and branch clear out, other managers too. Seems like it's never happened.

Advert:

Archived