onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The local music scene of your youth

mr.hobblesworth

There was a big biker following at Vale at one time. Can you remember the graffiti on the outside of the Bycars that read "Port Vale Helles Angles"? They might not have been able to spell but I'm sure they turned up most matches.

I can remember the Div 3 game against villa and I saw a few Villa skins going into the Bycars and thought that they’d all end up dead!

Advert

Gulliver Quake, with a friend from High School, Les "Isaac" Hunt on guitar (he used to play "Albatross" at every break time...nothing else...just bloody "Albatross"!!!!!) playing at Samanthas above Burton's (?) on Derby Street. This venue had a few decent bands and good rock nights. But most of my time was spent...often 3 gigs a week...at the Victoria hall, or Trentham Gardens, or the Heavy Steam machine - Thursday nights, i think, seeing bands of the calibre of Uriah Heep and Golden Earring - who were superb!! I can't recall the name of the pub / club that was in a square in Hanley, but we went down some stairs which opened straight onto the dance floor (memory tells me) and we saw Colosseum 2...who were also superb. !971 / 72-ish saw Queen supporting Mott the Hoople at the Victoria Hall. And seven of us hitched to Sheffield to see Mott...six of us were named Tony (or Ant / Anthony)! Great times.

My memory isn't as good as it should be,but wasn' the bycars split into two, one half the mods on one side of the tea bar and the rockers/greasers/fribos on the other side ?

Now you say it yes. I think the greaser following accounted for our love of Elvis songs. I also seem to recall we had our own zigger sagger who wouldn’t sing anything but Elvis

Gulliver Quake, with a friend from High School, Les "Isaac" Hunt on guitar (he used to play "Albatross" at every break time...nothing else...just bloody "Albatross"!!!!!) playing at Samanthas above Burton's (?) on Derby Street. This venue had a few decent bands and good rock nights. But most of my time was spent...often 3 gigs a week...at the Victoria hall, or Trentham Gardens, or the Heavy Steam machine - Thursday nights, i think, seeing bands of the calibre of Uriah Heep and Golden Earring - who were superb!! I can't recall the name of the pub / club that was in a square in Hanley, but we went down some stairs which opened straight onto the dance floor (memory tells me) and we saw Colosseum 2...who were also superb. !971 / 72-ish saw Queen supporting Mott the Hoople at the Victoria Hall. And seven of us hitched to Sheffield to see Mott...six of us were named Tony (or Ant / Anthony)! Great times.

Saw Queen at the Victoria Hall on their famous 1975 tour. I was down by the stage with the headbangers as usual, but as Queen were starting to become famous there were one or two girls there as well - unusual for a Vic Hall gig. When Queen's set got under way Brian May got a bit too close to the edge of the stage and this girl grabbed his leg. Brian managed to get free but at the end of the song the bouncers started to drive us back from the stage, to which we all objected. Freddie Mercury then intervened and told the bouncers to lay off, which they did and we regained our position.

One of the best gigs I ever went to.

Those bikers used to turn up late at matches all over the country, quite often leathered in more ways than one!

It's both fascinating and depressing to think back to all the faces that have followed the club over the years but no longer attend.

Also went to Trentham Gardens and saw Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to name a few. Last Thursday of every month we go to the Railway at Nantwich to listen to a trio of guitarists one of whom is a Les Hunt. Must be the same one you are talking about as he still plays old Fleetwood Mac songs. Used to get my clothes from Chawners in Hope St Hanley. Fav outfit was black Harrington Jacket, gingham check Ben Sherman shirt and Levis staypress trousers.

Also went to Trentham Gardens and saw Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to name a few. Last Thursday of every month we go to the Railway at Nantwich to listen to a trio of guitarists one of whom is a Les Hunt. Must be the same one you are talking about as he still plays old Fleetwood Mac songs...

Saw many excellent bands at Trentham Gardens - had a pint with Phil Collins after a Genesis set. Worst band I've ever seen live was Roxy Music - such a disappointment...twice!! Best live bands - Mott / SAHB / Bowie / Queen / Supertramp

...Last Thursday of every month we go to the Railway at Nantwich to listen to a trio of guitarists one of whom is a Les Hunt. Must be the same one you are talking about as he still plays old Fleetwood Mac songs...

I hope so...like to think he's still doing it. Was a very good guitarist...just bloody "Albatross"...

Saw Queen at the Victoria Hall on their famous 1975 tour. I was down by the stage with the headbangers as usual, but as Queen were starting to become famous there were one or two girls there as well - unusual for a Vic Hall gig. When Queen's set got under way Brian May got a bit too close to the edge of the stage and this girl grabbed his leg. Brian managed to get free but at the end of the song the bouncers started to drive us back from the stage, to which we all objected. Freddie Mercury then intervened and told the bouncers to lay off, which they did and we regained our position.

One of the best gigs I ever went to.

Queen came very close to blowing Mott off the stage...just MTHs professionalism and Ian Hunter's charisma kept them on top...but it was really obvious that Queen were going to be massive! Playing stuff off the first 2 albums...my favourites, along with Sheer Heart Attack! Also saw Free 4 times - Paul Rodgers was an awesome singer, and fitted in well with Queen, I thought?

Saw many excellent bands at Trentham Gardens - had a pint with Phil Collins after a Genesis set. Worst band I've ever seen live was Roxy Music - such a disappointment...twice!! Best live bands - Mott / SAHB / Bowie / Queen / Supertramp

Saw two of those at the Vic Hall (Queen and Supertramp) and SAHB at the infamous Stoke City open air gig in 1975. I sat roughly on the centre spot and tried my best to churn it up with my feet. :smile:

Headliners were Yes but by the time they came on it had started to **** down somewhat and they ended up cutting their set short.

First punk band to play the Potteries was the 'Vibrators', late 1977 in the 'George' in Burslem. Skinny dudes in tight fitting black PVC trousers all wearing those toy plastic sunglasses you used to get from the newsagents at about 10p a pop

Everything at 100 miles an hour. Knox, guitarist and singer, finished 2 songs ahead of the rest of the band

We were impressed

Points-with-Bone

Yes LT saw Supertramp at Vicky Hall,had just released Crime of The Century LP, quality one of my fav gigs. Someone mentioned Budgie earlier. Saw them several times thought they were Welsh ?

Archived