onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The local music scene of your youth

mr.hobblesworth

Yeah, not bothered about what people listen to now or some chancer plugging the godawful offerings of their mates sub-Oasis dross. No, I'd like to know what local stuff you liked when you were younger.

I remember there used to be a lot of punk stuff, and there was a record shop (on Hope Street) that always had a load of punky LPs in the window. It may have even been the Clay Records office. I dunno, I was dead young back then. Was there much of a 'scene' back then? I know in Newcastle there used to be a lot of scooter boys, mostly from Pool Dam although I'm not sure if they were just in to the mayhem rather than listening to ska or skinhead music. I was generally in to generic 'alternative' and indie stuff when I was in my teens although there didn't seem to be that many like-minded people, apart from Chicos and Ritzy, and that was just vague student night stuff rather than any kind of movement.

My uncle had a load of records by a band from Keele, Green Door or something? Were they any cop?

I'd be really interested in hearing if anyone went to the Northern Soul all-nighters at The Torch etc.

Advert

Can't say I knew much about the punk scene as my experience of the local music scene predates punk by a few years.

The George Hotel had a regular rock night and there were two semi resident bands that featured - Grace, who I remember as essentially Genesis copyists (and a workmate whose name I can't now remember played bass for them) and the altogether heavier Budgie, who had some national success in the late 70s.

Hanley's music and alternative culture centred on three pubs - the Mechanics and the Star, mainly biker pubs, and my own favourite the Black Horse. The local chapter of the Hells Angels met there as well as the purveyors of certain illicit substances, which of course I had nothing to do with. :smile:

The juke box at the Horse had a lot of rock singles on it, one favourite being 'Our House' by Crosby, Stills and Nash. It had a pin table too, as well as beer - what else could a lad need?

That's great, thanks. Were they proper Hells Angels?

I remember hearing of Grace and didn't know Budgie were a local band. Can still recall what their patches looked like. I was a bit too young for that stuff though, but am sure I remember loads of bikers going to the Sutherland Arms in Newcastle (next to the old Blackfriars Bakery).

That's great, thanks. Were they proper Hells Angels?

I remember hearing of Grace and didn't know Budgie were a local band. Can still recall what their patches looked like. I was a bit too young for that stuff though, but am sure I remember loads of bikers going to the Sutherland Arms in Newcastle (next to the old Blackfriars Bakery).

As far as I can remember, yes they were proper Angels and they had top and bottom rocker patches which identified them as such.

Oh, and one pub in Hanley I forgot was the Gaiety - despite the name, another biker pub; I remember trying to flog surplus Pink Floyd tickets in there to no avail.

I fell in love with Northern Soul, first tune I couldn't get out of my head was "Heaven Must Have Sent You" by the Elgins. Started going to the Torch at 14, a group of us spotty kids from Kidsgrove initially hung out to the left of the stage by the railing and gradually plucked up the courage to dance, it was mainly all about the music.

We graduated to going to all nighters at The Twisted Wheel in Manchester and occasionally the Blue Orchid in Derby, saw some great acts at the Wheel and the Torch, Ben E King, Jimmy Ruffin, Jr walker, Edwin Star etc, the atmosphere was electric. By 16 1/2 I was on the wrong track and stopped going the Torch and got into girls.

I was lucky enough to be around Stoke-on-Trent when The Place, The Placemate (Sammi Belles), Cheshire Cat and Maxims were going strong, music was mainly soul/funk and I loved it. Those 4 clubs together with the Placemate (Ex Wheel) and Pips in Manchester were brilliant, spent far too much time there having a brilliant time, never saw any trouble in those clubs.

Have always loved Soul music and always will, now also love Classical Music and Opera, all these genres share wonderful tunes, melodies and lyrics.

There used to be scraps between the Mods and the Greasers in Hanley/Burslem/Tunsta and surrounding areas in the late 60's.

As far as I can remember, yes they were proper Angels and they had top and bottom rocker patches which identified them as such.

Oh, and one pub in Hanley I forgot was the Gaiety - despite the name, another biker pub; I remember trying to flog surplus Pink Floyd tickets in there to no avail.

They would have been the chosen few, they were the S O T chapter of angels, they lived in Burslem, somewhere off Newcastle street.i used to go in the Black Horse and the Gaity and my mates parents kept the star.

They would have been the chosen few, they were the S O T chapter of angels, they lived in Burslem, somewhere off Newcastle street.i used to go in the Black Horse and the Gaity and my mates parents kept the star.

Happy times. Did you know a guy called Pablo who used to get in the Horse? My mate Gareth and me used to see him in there most times we went.

Talking of bikers. The millstone in Burslem was also a big bikers pubs. A lot of whom frequented the Bycars on a match day.

There was a big biker following at Vale at one time. Can you remember the graffiti on the outside of the Bycars that read "Port Vale Helles Angles"? They might not have been able to spell but I'm sure they turned up most matches.

Happy times. Did you know a guy called Pablo who used to get in the Horse? My mate Gareth and me used to see him in there most times we went.

I don’t remember anyone called Pablo, to be honest I went more to the gaiety than the Black horse.

Well, I'll rock the boat a bit fellow Valiants. I was a Mod and very proud of it too! Lambretta 200 SX with millions of mirrors, fur and chrome all over it.

The Place, Placemate, Cine Bowl, Hanley, Maxims and a Club in Stoke called the 72 Club were my hangouts. I had many friends with scooters in the day and The Swan, Trent Vale was a great Pub along with the Black Lion.

Remember the old days of Mods and Rockers meeting up in Hanley. I was so young !

Purchased nearly all my mod clothing of bright jackets, jumpers, t shirts, flares and frilly things from Carnaby Street by mail. My mum used to be aghast when the post arrived and I'd bought yet more zany clothes.

Although my life was centred around Mods then I still had many Rocker mates with their bigger bikes and leather oufits. We had a laugh and never really took the fighting or conflict that seriously.

Music scene was varied and I do recall the days of sca and flower power being high in my life experiences. My one unfortunate blot on my character however is that I did possess a pair of white high heeled Cuban boots from Gary Glitter's era!!! If I knew then, hey?

Reminisces are good. Those were the days fellows. Apologies to all the Rockers that were around for Vale at the time but I enjoyed my youth and lived to tell the tale!

In the Torch/Wheel days the dress was button down Ben Sherman shirt (Short or long sleeve) and Levi/Wrangler jeans, used to iron a crease into my jeans and iron my Vale programmes at the same time. A pair of polished brown brogues and a short gaberdine Mac for when it rained, all bought from Haydens in Tunstall. Proper smart we were

Wasn't until 1972 and later when the mega wide trousers, platform shoes and shirts with a massive collar came along, must have looked hideous. In the late 70's the fashion changed to smart again, Italian suits, pleated trouser, shirts and jumpers, always smart brown shoes.

There was a clothes shop called Apparel just before The Place, one called Trilby in the arcade in Hanley plus a clothes shop in Newcastle opposite Barclays Bank which all sold gorgeous mainly Italian clothes. Used to do all sorts of part time jobs and spend much of my hard earned money on clothes and enjoying myself.

Archived