onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Their message board is interesting. Their fans seem quite proud of their “top shithousery” as one of them described it.

After a previous game a couple of weeks ago however, one wrote “So many ST holders have stopped coming because it is so ****.” Their following supports that - we took twice-as many there for a midweek night game on a work day and we weren’t fighting for the play offs! Their fans are clearly good judges!

Advert

Yet again, Old Sage interprets a post to suit himself and his opinions, with, seemingly, no-one allowed an opinion of their own. Where did I say that I blamed Pope for the defeat? I was critical of the system and the way that the players attempted to put it into practice.

I think unfortunately we need another big player turnover. It’s frustrating, but hopefully with new ownership we are a more attractive club for potential players. We need a completely new look attack with pace, height and strength. I would get rid of everyone out of contract apart from Manny. I think it’s going to take 10 signings. It’s a big job, but I’d put my faith in Askey and let him rebuild the squad.

Let’s hope we get the good news we are craving with the take over. The long suffering Vale fans deserve some good news. I’m just so relieved we will be playing league football next season. Onwards and forwards. Ktf. UTV.

General tenor of yesterday is that it could have been different if we'd taken chances.

Mistakes were punished by an efficient opposition.

The midfield is much weakened by the loss of Manny, replaced by Whitfield and Hannant, for Monty.

The loss of those two hardworking players leaves big holes unfilled.

Defence and attack are more exposed and isolated.

In my view, we need players of the calibre of Manny and Hannant available as back up.

Monty and Whitfield in the same team won't work.

General tenor of yesterday is that it could have been different if we'd taken chances.

Mistakes were punished by an efficient opposition.

The midfield is much weakened by the loss of Manny, replaced by Whitfield and Hannant, for Monty.

The loss of those two hardworking players leaves big holes unfilled.

Defence and attack are more exposed and isolated.

In my view, we need players of the calibre of Manny and Hannant available as back up.

Monty and Whitfield in the same team won't work.

I'd agree with that. Points won with Manny in the team would put us around the play-offs, without him we'd be rock bottom. Defensive record is good and when the first choice midfield has played we don't look too bad. Three, maybe 4, decent additions and we'd be top 10.

Would we be so dependent on Manny if we had kept Sam Foley though? We need that type of player in midfield but others are probably available if you pay the money...

I think we offered a higher wage than Northampton. He left to stay in division 1 and also I think his wife had just had a baby and it was a far easier commute. You could argue we'd have a better midfield if Morsy was still here in the same way. There aren't that many midfielders better than a fit Oyeleke at this level and even less who'd upsticks. We've got one of the top 2 or 3 keepers in the league because after Walsall we were the best fit geographically. Wouldn't shock me to see Calverley being given a run at MK because he got a bit of the physical presence we lose when Oyeleke is out. I'm sure another central midfield player and 2 attacking players will be the priority close season.

Would we be so dependent on Manny if we had kept Sam Foley though? We need that type of player in midfield but others are probably available if you pay the money...

In May 2017, Foley rejected the offer of a new contract at Port Vale to remain in League One on a two-year contract with Northampton Town; the move reunited him with former Newport manager Justin Edinburgh

Port Vale manager Michael Brown said that Port Vale had offered a better wage than Northampton, but Foley had wanted to play at as high a level as possible

Bottom line is that if failure is occurring and you keep doing the same thing failure will continue. So have we got big failure or little failure. Little failure warrants incremental change and improvement. But big failure means big change is needed. I think after three seasons of failure including two where we have narrowly avoided falling out of the League big change is needed and wholesale squad overhaul. The theory that we need fewer players of higher quality is right and the squad must have balance. There must also be opportunity for young players to come through. Fulham played the youngest ever Premier League player today and won.

I think - unfortunately - that we've got a massive rebuilding task ahead of us in the next 2 years because the current squad (and last season's) is simply not good enough for a stab at the top 7-8 and aiming - as we should - for the play-offs.

One or two might look better in a better team but overall we have got a really poor squad and the odd deserved victory this year should not paper over the cracks. Looking at Saturday's programme we had 33 players listed. Excluding the loan players I would not want to keep more than about 8/33 for next season.

Loan players apart, Brown obviously. You could make out a case for the likes of Smith, Joyce, Worrall, Conlon & Monty. Manny if he can get fit and not injured every other month. Pope, past his best but still our main goal threat. Who else? I might have forgotten someone but we need big changes.

Two or three strikers. Two or three midfield players. A defender or two. And on and on.

We have to be more secure at the back, despite a very good defensive record overall this year. 20 more goals from midfield and the wings. And a couple of 10-15 goal strikers.

It's a huge ask and might take 24 months to shape up. But this lot and last year's lot won't take us very far up this League. Sorry. I agree - we get blown away by some of the more physically bigger teams like Lincoln and Colchester.

I'd move heaven and earth to get Howkins here. He's young enough to improve and quicker than our other centre backs but is he injury prone?

I'd move heaven and earth to get Howkins here. He's young enough to improve and quicker than our other centre backs but is he injury prone?

I'd agree with what you say there Sage, but yes he is injury prone and he was bloody awful vs Exeter. Legge's legs have gone. Rawlinson is just not up to scratch. We need a total rebuild yet again. Lacking everywhere apart from GK.

Archived