onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

I saw MK Dons at Tranmere last weekend. They play a mix of target man and build up through the middle play. Good well organised team and they play on a top level pitch. So Vale will get a serious spanking unless we can cope with a quick paced passing game.

The answer big time isn't the return of Kay in midfield. Worried.

Advert

Our defence was well beaten by strong, quick forwards. But it is often said that teams defend from the front. That is the advantage of playing Miller at home. He chases down defenders giving them no easy ball out. Popey claims that we can still play the same system, style and pace with him leading the line. Plainly today showed again that it is a myth. Miller has to play at home. I thought we had seen the end of Popeball. Sadly I was disappointed.

I think most clubs would agree stevenage at home is the worst fixture of the season. It's been agony everytime I've seen it.

The whole ethos of the club is a disgrace quite frankly. To go 4.1 up and continue the time wasting they'd started from the first minute said it all.

They're where they are because they can beat anyone on the day playing like that.

How their fans watch that all the time I don't know.

I saw MK Dons at Tranmere last weekend. They play a mix of target man and build up through the middle play. Good well organised team and they play on a top level pitch. So Vale will get a serious spanking unless we can cope with a quick paced passing game.

The answer big time isn't the return of Kay in midfield. Worried.

I think playing against MK will suit us better than the last two games as they are a side who knock it about from the back so the high press should come out hopefully... that said seasons over and a few fringe players likely to feature so could be a messy one!

Monty had an absolute stinker, goal aside. A luxury player if ever there was one. I agree Conlon had a reasonable game. But Elliot has to start vs McDons, Pope benched in favour of Miller, Gibbons for Crookes and Howkins for Smith (who was dreadful).

"Smith who was dreadful" did you not see that donkey Legge one side of him and you pointed out Crooks the other, but let's blame Smith!!!

Our defence was well beaten by strong, quick forwards. But it is often said that teams defend from the front. That is the advantage of playing Miller at home. He chases down defenders giving them no easy ball out. Popey claims that we can still play the same system, style and pace with him leading the line. Plainly today showed again that it is a myth. Miller has to play at home. I thought we had seen the end of Popeball. Sadly I was disappointed.

Popeball is not the fault of Pope. I very much doubt he wants the ball played to him in the air with his back to goal and no support. I was surprised Whitfield came out for the second half he was so poor. I agree with what one of the posters on here (can't remember who) said earlier - he is not as good as he thinks he is. Stevenage should change their name to Anti-Football FC. Their cynical approach to the game is a disgrace. I'm not surprised they only brought 99 fans. Would you travel over a hundred miles to spend 90 minutes watching blokes fall over and waste time? That was a bad day at the office by Vale and Stevenage were fortunate to be on the park with them today. They are so good they couldn't score against us at their place!

"Smith who was dreadful" did you not see that donkey Legge one side of him and you pointed out Crooks the other, but let's blame Smith!!!
Couldn't make it up could you? He's just a target of the boo boys here and has been for a long while. Not seen anyone getting on at Joyce, a senior pro who was abject and totally AWOL from duties screening the back four. And couldn't pass wind. But let's bash Pope and Smith eh. People screaming for Whitfield, then he's hopeless. But let's blame Pope and Smith.

Legge got constantly done by the ball over the top and Smith was tidying up for him. But Leon was not one of our worst players, Crooks was rubbish. And I'm a fan of his.

If Pope and Smith never started we'd be in the play-offs seems to be the idea here. Give me a break. If Pope and Smith never started we'd be in the effing Conference.

Well i went today...Pope playin n that formation does not work. Montano a liability at best. Stevenage horrible but we bought into their gamesmanship and so did the referee. askey is the answer but for me, consideration for a new role for Pope and more confidence for the younger players might be fruitful. We need to look beyond Pope....

Vale play "Popeball' when Pope isn't on the pitch.

Smith was given the run around by one of the best strikers in Lge2 today. Guthrie was bigger than him, stronger, faster and more skillful and he was ably abetted by Chair. It's easy to talk in retrospect but I wonder whether Howkins would have dealt better physically with Guthrie.

\

The scoreline flattered them, they were clinical in front of goal today but their time wasting tactics were shameful.

Vale play "Popeball' when Pope isn't on the pitch.

Smith was given the run around by one of the best strikers in Lge2 today. Guthrie was bigger than him, stronger, faster and more skillful and he was ably abetted by Chair. It's easy to talk in retrospect but I wonder whether Howkins would have dealt better physically with Guthrie.

\

The scoreline flattered them, they were clinical in front of goal today but their time wasting tactics were shameful.

Agree with this. I thought Guthrie was very effective, maybe Howkins would’ve handled him better, who knows. I also thought that Miller should’ve been brought on to partner Pope, who was up against 3 big centre halves. Although Montano scored when he was moved central after Whitfield’s substitution I thought Miller would’ve been a better option to partner Pope at that point.

Montano was frustratingly erratic throughout and Whitfield totally ineffective.

Overall, their game plan worked but we made enough chances without taking them. Had we managed to equalise when we had the chance immediately after our goal we would probably have gone on to win the game.

The worst thing was watching a guy go down to waste time when his team are 4-1 up in time added on. Shameful.

Jacko. I did not say that Popeball was the fault of Pope. But like most of the others, Pope didn't contribute much today.

That's right we lose (again) and lets all blame Pope. What about his winner against Crewe? All forgotten by the likes of you and a few others. Him Smith and Brown are the backbone of our team and most of the others are stealing a living but that isn't their fault it is the owner with his super budget.

When Elliot came on and hit them with pace and got a couple of decent crosses in we battered them and the much maligned Popey got on the end of some of them but his teammates weren't sharp enough to feed off them and as my son who is no mug said when Popey goes up for a cross he usually gets to the ball and his co-strikers should be ready to get on the rebound or knock on.

Remember the song ''Feed the Pope and he will score'' wise words which his critics should heed.

Finally replace Pope with Miller you are having a laugh. I seen him up the front with no support he is like a 'tiddler' getting eaten up by big defenders. Maybe playing him alongside Popey would be a better option and to the benefit of both parties and the team in general.

Archived