onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Leading Port Vale Supporters Club official: please stay calm and show respect during

News Feed

Advert

Cheers Malcolm whoever-you-are. "We don't want to sanitise football but"....

That's exactly where this is heading, and already has in the Premier League. Barely a week goes by without some cause using football to promote their own agenda.

I don't need telling what's funny to chant and what's not, I'll make my own mind up if that's OK. Nor do I need a T-shirt to let people know I'm not a racist.

You don’t need a T-shirt to let people know you aren’t racist or sexist or homophobic. You just need to not be racist, sexist or homophobic, which is what the article is saying. Can’t understand how anyone can get wound up by that.

Or this report - https://theovertake.com/~racism-and-football/home-truth/ - showing where we stand nationally.

So all of the above reference the last two years and show that sadly we have one of the worst records in terms of racist and indecent chanting.

7 fans in 3 years. Close down the club. We have always attracted a certain level of fan who may be seen as undesirable to some - because of the area, the history, the 'poverty' etc. What are we supposed to do? Ask them if they're a nice person before we sell them a ticket?

Grimsby was Grimsby. I don't actually think it had a whole lot to do with Port Vale, many of the folk involved have not much to do with Port Vale. People went there to get drunk and fight and have a jolly good time. Whether they'll have such a good time in prison is debatable, but there's absolutely nothing that Port Vale could have or can do about a minibus of blokes deciding to celebrate a birthday or other occasion by travelling to the other side of the country and having a fight. The Police have powers to send these people home - and probably could've done after they kicked off in Cleethorpes all morning - but they chose not to.

This message of common sense is all well and good, as are the advertising boards. But, some lad at the back of the stand isn't going to look at the advertising board and think 'ah, yes, that's made me re-assess my next action of shouting abuse at the official for not having a penis'.

It may help us when we are naughty again by showing the FA that we 'did something' but it's wishful thinking that you can change people's views and behavior with something like this.

I can’t figure out why anyone would think that encouraging a non-racist, non-homophobic, or non-sexists atmosphere, is in anyway sanitising the game. It’s not just about the game, or a tee shirt, it’s a society issue and people who attend any event come from that same society.

The Crewe game will have highly charged and emotional punters in attendance, so what’s wrong with an occasional reminder of awareness and responsibility to all, or is it best to say nowt, do nowt and pretend that the whole thing doesn’t exist, because I’m not any of that so I don’t need to hear the message?

I can’t figure out why anyone would think that encouraging a non-racist, non-homophobic, or non-sexists atmosphere, is in anyway sanitising the game. It’s not just about the game, or a tee shirt, it’s a society issue and people who attend any event come from that same society.

The Crewe game will have highly charged and emotional punters in attendance, so what’s wrong with an occasional reminder of awareness and responsibility to all, or is it best to say nowt, do nowt and pretend that the whole thing doesn’t exist, because I’m not any of that so I don’t need to hear the message?

I don't think anyone's pretending it doesn't exist, but it's not the huge problem it's being made out to be. 7 arrests in 3 seasons (probably spanning over 170 games) is minimal when measured against the numbers in attendance.

I don't think anyone's pretending it doesn't exist, but it's not the huge problem it's being made out to be. 7 arrests in 3 seasons (probably spanning over 170 games) is minimal when measured against the numbers in attendance.

Couldn’t agree more, but that’s the point. It’s not about the numbers, just the awareness

7 arrests in 3 seasons (probably spanning over 170 games) is minimal when measured against the numbers in attendance.

That's simply factually wrong. We were joint top out of the top five divisions. Considering our attendances that therefore means that clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs - (pulling in ten times or more than Vale's attendances) got less than seven in the same period.

In that light, Vale's record with a tenth of those attendances is dreadful. We should be rightly ashamed that we are joint-top of the table. If anything we're worse than joint-top Sunderland because they also get much bigger attendances.

In that light, all the club's efforts to promote diversity, to remind fans to behave are entirely reasonable, are entirely commendable and (after all the bad news stories) they represent some rare good news and the chance to be proud of the club's efforts to educate and be responsible.

Slightly baffled that being asked not to say offensive things, as we have done in this fixture in the past, is being equated with 'sanitising football'.

Fans of nearly all clubs will refer to "weak spots" of the opposition, and always have done. It's what creates atmosphere.

I'm not aware of any complaints from Crewe about any chanting at their place. I can see that having to explain "paedo" chants to youngsters could be awkward, but where do you draw the line on what it's OK for kids to hear? Bad language? Gesturing between fans?

Take that out and you're left with MK Dons-type clubs with no atmosphere whatsoever.

Fans of nearly all clubs will refer to "weak spots" of the opposition, and always have done. It's what creates atmosphere.

I'm not aware of any complaints from Crewe about any chanting at their place. I can see that having to explain "paedo" chants to youngsters could be awkward, but where do you draw the line on what it's OK for kids to hear? Bad language? Gesturing between fans?

Take that out and you're left with MK Dons-type clubs with no atmosphere whatsoever.

It’s easy. Don’t be racist, don’t be sexist, don’t be homophobic is a good start. If you’re not racist, you won’t say racist things. If you’re not sexist you won’t say sexist things and if you’re not homophobic you won’t say homophobic things. So what’s the issue? Should we be worried about upsetting homophobes or racists for stopping them being bigoted?

That's simply factually wrong. We were joint top out of the top five divisions. Considering our attendances that therefore means that clubs like Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs - (pulling in ten times or more than Vale's attendances) got less than seven in the same period.

In that light, Vale's record with a tenth of those attendances is dreadful. We should be rightly ashamed that we are joint-top of the table. If anything we're worse than joint-top Sunderland because they also get much bigger attendances.

In that light, all the club's efforts to promote diversity, to remind fans to behave are entirely reasonable, are entirely commendable and (after all the bad news stories) they represent some rare good news and the chance to be proud of the club's efforts to educate and be responsible.

7 in 3 seasons for racism isn't factually wrong. It's stated in the link you shared.

What do you mean by 'take that out'? Take what out, exactly?

7 in 3 seasons for racism isn't factually wrong. It's stated in the link you shared.

Rob was saying that the statement '7 in 3 years is minimal' was factually wrong, not the number itself.

7 in 3 years is actually the joint highest in the country, despite us having a tenth of the fanbase of the other clubs with a similar number of offences.

Using football as a platform to raise awareness about serious issues such as racism and homophobia is a good thing. There are still too many incidents (any incident is too many). And the work of kick it out and stonewall is only positive.

Archived