onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Crewe Alexandra

Fosse69

Miller...held the ball up superbly for a man his size

His first touch is absolutely awful - he traps the ball 10 yards! (which is how he got a yellow card)

He doesn't seem to have a footballing brain, as he charges around the pitch a bit unnecessarily and aimlessly at times, so often looks completely knackered after 60 minutes.

He is a nuisance though to opposition defences, and is a decent striking option to have in the squad.

Advert

Just had a quick look on the Alexmad site,the two posters commentating on the game say the Vale were poor but they were worse.

Seems to be the line trotted out every time Vale beat Crewe. Unable to accept that they are now a dirty team with a poor brand of football.

Conlon is a good ball player and can tackle.

He is better when he has someone like Manny to play with who can link up with him.

Ian Bogie couldnt tackle but was an excellent ball player.

The other thing is now Worrall is back in the team he has another outlet.

If Manny can stay fit the midfield is good and I would like to see Whitfield given a chance to run at them later in the game.

Miller and Pope together up front could develop into a good system especially at home.Smith and Howkins at the back were brilliant.

Conlon is like have O'Connor or Foley back in the side. He could become a brilliant player for Vale, especially being local.

Seems to be the line trotted out every time Vale beat Crewe. Unable to accept that they are now a dirty team with a poor brand of football.

We could hammer them 5-0 and play samba football and Crewe fans would say we were poor, the have delusions of grandeur and think they are far better than they are so often feel the need to look down on us despite us being a bigger club.

Artell was given serious stick on P and G tonight,from Crewe fans!!!!He is correct though,it isn’t a big game.How can it be with Crewe playing in the game?

And wasn't it great!! I loved it Saturday with all his moaning to the 3rd ref all the time the ball went up to Howkins and Smith who dominated their striker - really can't stand the bloke think he's a bit of a plonker.

it’s hard to judge how good we really were saturday as i felt Crewe offered absolutely nothing. Toothless up top and spineless through the middle. it could’ve been 3/4 goals and possibly the easiest clean sheet we’ll get all season. it’s a big dilemma for John askey now as to what happens if he has a fully fit squad this week. does Joyce come back in? Does a leader like Legge come back in and if so who for? do we start with Pope or do we continue with Ricky for the first 65-70 minutes. it’s a good dilemma i suppose if you are a manager with a lot of good options available to him.

When we win, it's often stated that it is against a poor side.

It seems to me that this is only one way of viewing it.

On Saturday, we were the better team, making the better decisions, winning important battles and playing the better football.

Crewe looked decent enough to me, and results over the season support this.

I'd certainly like to see the credit given to our players more often.

They certainly get it in the neck when it's the other way round.

When we win, it's often stated that it is against a poor side.

It seems to me that this is only one way of viewing it.

On Saturday, we were the better team, making the better decisions, winning important battles and playing the better football.

Crewe looked decent enough to me, and results over the season support this.

I'd certainly like to see the credit given to our players more often.

They certainly get it in the neck when it's the other way round.

Spot on that's how I see it, we worked hard as a team, closed them down quickly never gave them time on the ball. They looked bad because we were so good, roll on Exeter, more of the same

it’s hard to judge how good we really were saturday as i felt Crewe offered absolutely nothing. Toothless up top and spineless through the middle. it could’ve been 3/4 goals and possibly the easiest clean sheet we’ll get all season. it’s a big dilemma for John askey now as to what happens if he has a fully fit squad this week. does Joyce come back in? Does a leader like Legge come back in and if so who for? do we start with Pope or do we continue with Ricky for the first 65-70 minutes. it’s a good dilemma i suppose if you are a manager with a lot of good options available to him.
Thankfully with more options it is not so easy for the opposition to weigh us up.

His first touch is absolutely awful - he traps the ball 10 yards! (which is how he got a yellow card)

He doesn't seem to have a footballing brain, as he charges around the pitch a bit unnecessarily and aimlessly at times, so often looks completely knackered after 60 minutes.

He is a nuisance though to opposition defences, and is a decent striking option to have in the squad.

I totally disagree. I am sure a lot of the time players think Popey is still playing as invariably the ball arrives at Miller either in the air, or at best chest high, and he is clearly going to struggle to win those kind of balls. He needs it to feet, and when that happens, I think his first touch is really decent. I also don't think he looks knackered either, like the duracell battery he just seems to keep on running!

I also feel if he got the right service (which unlike Popey who needs it in the air) is on the floor, he would most certainly be a 20 goal a season striker. Watch him the next time he plays and see how many lateral runs he makes and more, not only where he makes them, but the defenders he drags with him when doing so which creates a lot of space for others. Thats not aimless, it's not unecessary it's a vital part of forward play, yet unfortunately for him, those runs very rarely get spotted, and that's the difference.

Create chances and am convinced he will score plenty.

I also strongly disagree with the criticism being aimed at young Conlon and have to ask, since when does a midfield player need to be six foot and 14 stone?

I agree sometimes he lacks a bit of inconsistency, and could do with improving his forward passes, but again I think the lad is very tenacious, has a good first touch, covers a huge amount of ground, keeps possession well, and like all the squad at the moment, never gives up, something that has been the cornerstone of our recent improvement. I do wonder at times, what people want or expect from some of these players. Under the new boss Conlon has been automatic selection, and to me has totally justified the faith shown in him

I totally disagree. I am sure a lot of the time players think Popey is still playing as invariably the ball arrives at Miller either in the air, or at best chest high, and he is clearly going to struggle to win those kind of balls. He needs it to feet, and when that happens, I think his first touch is really decent. I also don't think he looks knackered either, like the duracell battery he just seems to keep on running!

I also feel if he got the right service (which unlike Popey who needs it in the air) is on the floor, he would most certainly be a 20 goal a season striker. Watch him the next time he plays and see how many lateral runs he makes and more, not only where he makes them, but the defenders he drags with him when doing so which creates a lot of space for others. Thats not aimless, it's not unecessary it's a vital part of forward play, yet unfortunately for him, those runs very rarely get spotted, and that's the difference.

Create chances and am convinced he will score plenty.

I also strongly disagree with the criticism being aimed at young Conlon and have to ask, since when does a midfield player need to be six foot and 14 stone?

I agree sometimes he lacks a bit of inconsistency, and could do with improving his forward passes, but again I think the lad is very tenacious, has a good first touch, covers a huge amount of ground, keeps possession well, and like all the squad at the moment, never gives up, something that has been the cornerstone of our recent improvement. I do wonder at times, what people want or expect from some of these players. Under the new boss Conlon has been automatic selection, and to me has totally justified the faith shown in him

I don't necessarily agree that his first touch is good, or that he looks knackered in games, but I agree with the rest. I think he's doing a great job at the minute and when he comes off on 70 minutes blowing it's because he's never given up and has put in the hard yards.

Conlon has been quality for me since Askey arrived - him and Worrall have been my MOTM virtually every game. Not sure where the stick is coming from myself. He puts himself about and on top of that is a very tidy player. At 22 we need to be signing up players like him who can only get better.

Nice to see that the tactics suggested by 'Pope haters' like myself are reaping the rewards. Miller starts, causing havoc and tiring out defenders. Pope is introduced and they're unable to adjust their tactics to combat his presence and hey presto, goal time.

Pope looked so lean, fit and motivated coming off the bench on Saturday. Exactly the type of player he can be if not played relentlessly for 90 minutes every week.

RIP Popeball.

Nice to see that the tactics suggested by 'Pope haters' like myself are reaping the rewards. Miller starts, causing havoc and tiring out defenders. Pope is introduced and they're unable to adjust their tactics to combat his presence and hey presto, goal time.

Pope looked so lean, fit and motivated coming off the bench on Saturday. Exactly the type of player he can be if not played relentlessly for 90 minutes every week.

RIP Popeball.

When Pope has come on he seems to fit quite well into the system. I think he'd be better from the start personally. The reason he wasn't doing well before was because it was just hoof it up to Pope.

Archived