onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sentinel: Norman Smurthwaite says Asian consortium is ready to pay £2.8m for Port Val

News Feed

Needs a multi millionaire of any nationality willing to sink in many millions and even that is no guarantee otherwise Andy Holt’s words will ring truer and truer.

So according to you we might as well lock the doors and throw away the keys because we all know there are no multi millionaires willing to sink millions in.

There are people who are prepared to run the club properly and not cream the top off but hey ho why should we bother.

Advert

And it will be amazing how your view might change if SS enter into one.

You keep saying that in the vain hope of tripping me up... my point was it’s not normal for a seller with a backstop to accept such a small percentage of an exclusivity payment.

You were adamant it was normal business practice. I told you it wasn’t. You argued it was... you were wrong. Like anyone who knows they are wrong you tired the “let’s agree to disagree comment”.... then when that didn’t work you are changing your tactics to the SS exclusivity argument.

So to be clear... I would be FAR happier if SS went into exclusivity as they are a known entity who want the best for Port Vale and the community.

It wouldnt mean it was normal practice which was my point... But at least we know they want to get the deal done before the end of the season.

Needs a multi millionaire of any nationality willing to sink in many millions and even that is no guarantee otherwise Andy Holt’s words will ring truer and truer.

I’m not sure where you get this narrative of yours that a club of Vale’s size can’t be both competitive on the pitch and profitable/self sufficient.

Why are you so insistent that clubs at our level need to be bankrolled to be successful? It simply isn’t true.

You keep saying that in the vain hope of tripping me up... my point was it’s not normal for a seller with a backstop to accept such a small percentage of an exclusivity payment.

You were adamant it was normal business practice. I told you it wasn’t. You argued it was... you were wrong. Like anyone who knows they are wrong you tired the “let’s agree to disagree comment”.... then when that didn’t work you are changing your tactics to the SS exclusivity argument.

So to be clear... I would be FAR happier if SS went into exclusivity as they are a known entity who want the best for Port Vale and the community.

It wouldnt mean it was normal practice which was my point... But at least we know they want to get the deal done before the end of the season.

Look around the football world, it’s common practice, look at the general business world, once again it’s common practice. It will happen if a buyer is found and its intended to benefit the buyer, not the seller, a point you ignored initially.

I see you are already back tracking which is good to hear as those reversing beepers get louder and louder 😉

Look around the football world' date=' it’s common practice, look at the general business world, once again it’s common practice. Let’s see if you back track and here those reversing beepers get louder and louder [/quote']

You really have no idea..............................................:whistling:

I’m not sure where you get this narrative of yours that a club of Vale’s size can’t be both competitive on the pitch and profitable/self sufficient.

Why are you so insistent that clubs at our level need to be bankrolled to be successful? It simply isn’t true.

It simply doesn’t happen long term Dave, there is an odd short term exception but even one of those in Accy Stanley are pointing out its only going to get worse as the gigantic gap grows sadly in lower league football.

It’s a travesty as the rich get richer the EFL encourage the slow death of lower league football with the disgusting sham that is the Checkatrade, their abysmal testing for potential owners, the sham that is the youth pilfering in academies etc whilst happily watching clubs overspend to chase the promised land. Eventually the lower leagues will have to regionalise unless something happens and teams will probably end up going part time or bust chasing unrealistic dreams.

Look around the football world' date=' it’s common practice, look at the general business world, once again it’s common practice.[/quote']

You are making sweeping generalisations about “takeovers” that are nothing like this situation... But I get that it’s REP tactic number 1 to just never admit you are wrong. Just know that you are.

Now if your new argument is that Smurthwaite is a panicky mess of a liar who is losing control and spouting rubbish to try and maximise his own wealth without a care for how it makes the back office staff at the club feel... then I wholeheartedly agree.

I see you are already back tracking which is good to hear az those reversing beepers get louder and louder 😉

I don’t understand this point and fear you may have gotten confused. Could you explained what I have backtracked on? Read my posts carefully before you do please.

It was just an emotional rant' date=' he was never going to put the club into admin and lose out. What can’t be allowed to happen is that someone buys the club and not the ground as a package, that would be potential business suicide for whoever does.[/quote']

An emotional rant that he re-confirmed to the midlands today reporter yesterday? If it was just an emotional rant he wouldn’t still be saying it 2 days later

An emotional rant that he re-confirmed to the midlands today reporter yesterday? If it was just an emotional rant he wouldn’t still be saying it 2 days later

Interesting, I didn’t see that... I guess that ends the “it was an emotional rant and he never meant it” argument

Either he means it, or he is a vindictive liar. Surprise surprise

Having local owners appeals and as far as anyone is aware Synectics are the only bidders in that category, so I wouldn't object to their taking over.

Big question though, and please don't shoot me down because this is a genuine question. Are the Shanahans sufficiently experienced in football matters to run the club? I know they're involved with the trust but I would have thought that they were vastly different bodies.

When Smurthwaite and Wildes took over it was quite clear that Wildes was the brains of the operation, Smurthwaite being the money man. I think most people would agree that our problems date from the Wildes departure.

So, do the Shanahans either have or have access to the required knowledge of running a football club? I don't mean better than Norm; I've got more experience than Norm. I'd just like assurance that it's at least on a par if not better than any number of successfully run clubs.

Having local owners appeals and as far as anyone is aware Synectics are the only bidders in that category, so I wouldn't object to their taking over.

Big question though, and please don't shoot me down because this is a genuine question. Are the Shanahans sufficiently experienced in football matters to run the club? I know they're involved with the trust but I would have thought that they were vastly different bodies.

When Smurthwaite and Wildes took over it was quite clear that Wildes was the brains of the operation, Smurthwaite being the money man. I think most people would agree that our problems date from the Wildes departure.

So, do the Shanahans either have or have access to the required knowledge of running a football club? I don't mean better than Norm; I've got more experience than Norm. I'd just like assurance that it's at least on a par if not better than any number of successfully run clubs.

An interesting and fair question... I guess most owners never had experience until they were owners. There are a few like David Gold who have been involved in more than one club... but the vast majority (I’m guessing) were new to it when they take over.

The more important question is would they be willing to accept help from “football people” who would offer advise and support... something I belive Smurthwaite rejected on a number of occasions (someone with a better memory may be able to remember better)

It's a fair question and one that should be asked. I guess no-one knows for certain if they can do a better job, but if you compare the measured and intelligent comments from Carol Shanahan to the deranged and inconsistent ramblings of Smurthwaite then you'd have to back Synectics to make a go of it.

Legitimate question and I suppose some others share that concern. Firstly, Smurthwaite has admitted he has no clue how to run a football club. I would argue he certainly knows how to destroy one. You could strap a blow up sex doll to an office chair and it would make better decisions than Norman. Probably wouldn't leave it within close proximity of him though.

Secondly, the Shanahans have demonstrated a love for the club. Given time, I would trust that they would outline their intentions but I am sure they are aware of Norman's biggest problem - his pigheadedness and reluctance to seek any help or assistance (cost and pride). With their business interests, if they require expertise they go out and get it - else they would not survive.

I have alluded to this on other platforms but nobody can explain to me how NS has made his money - there are literally zero details anywhere other than what he says (forgive me for not believing a word he says). He strikes me as a typical landlord - nothing more - hence why he has split the ground and is desperate to offload the football club.

In this instance, I would always prefer a Football Club ran by folk who have actual business acumen than by a landlord whose prime goal is to extract the maximum amount of rent for the smallest amount of expense (and work). This is the reason why the place is literally falling apart.

If true why dont the Asian consortium and Synethetics join together .

Build a new ground nearby and let Smurf have the ground so we dont waste money on paying rent to someone who can charge over the odds .

Think about it we do not have 18 thousand fans we have 4 to 5 thousand max so build a smaller stadium so that there is no wasting of trying run something which is way to big as the costs of Vale park are excessive .

Pitch is no good etc the players said so as such so politely get rid altogether i say .

New owners and forward thinking if its true which it probably aint

Archived