onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Crewe's legal defence over Bennell claims

robf

The Guardian has been giving a fair amount of coverage on this.

It appears Crewe want to argue that the amount of time taken to make the allegations means the case should be thrown out - despite plenty of legal precendence that taking some time to make an allegation does not make that allegation false.

A story on that here - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/19/crewe-barry-bennell-arrange-stays-lawyers-catholic-church

The club also claim that the responsibility of young players staying with Bennell was an agreement with parents and nothing to do with the club but a subsequent article shows the club were aware of the procedure

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/20/barry-bennell-expenses-claim-crewe-legal-defence-boys-stay

It's not looking great for Crewe and its lawyers.

This is no anti-Crewe dig BTW, I just personally think the approach of trying to avoid responsibility by saying it took too long for the claims to come forward is simply trying to duck blame. I know Man City clearly have much more money than Crewe but at least they are trying to make amends by agreeing settlements with former players and co-operating with the enquiry.

The way a football club (and I really don't care if it was Crewe, Stoke or indeed Vale at this point - this isn't about point scoring, this is about large scale child abuse) is trying to duck the blame and that the local media seem to also want to brush it under the carpet is simply inexcusable.

I am also amazed that the fans are not in uproar. I have been a Vale supporter for practically all of my life but if this was, God forbid, Vale, doing this then I would be making my feelings known to the club through every avenue possible and I would be seriously considering whether I want to support a club who takes such actions.

I just think it's disgusting that a national newspaper with no connection to the area is the only news outlet to investigate and stick with this issue - and that locally the response has been to bury one's head in the sand.

Advert

What exactly are Radio Stoke and the Sentinel doing about it let alone the Crewe Chronicle?

Despicable behaviour from the local media. No doubt they will jump on the bandwagon last minute as they did when they claimed to ‘save the Vale’.

There is nothing more important in life than the safety of children and the abysmal behaviour and ignorance of the local media outlets is a stain on their names.

What exactly are Radio Stoke and the Sentinel doing about it let alone the Crewe Chronicle?

Despicable behaviour from the local media. No doubt they will jump on the bandwagon last minute as they did when they claimed to ‘save the Vale’.

There is nothing more important in life than the safety of children and the abysmal behaviour and ignorance of the local media outlets is a stain on their names.

The club and local media seem to be in denial?

A Vale fan called Terry Harkin has tried to raise the issue on Alexmad the post has had 143 views and one reply from a guy saying surely the article is contempt of court.

There was a player called Terry Harkin who played for both Vale and Crewe in the 60s.

A Vale fan called Terry Harkin has tried to raise the issue on Alexmad the post has had 143 views and one reply from a guy saying surely the article is contempt of court.

Can you imagine if this happened at vale and smurf tried to cover it up. There would be outrage here. They refuse to even discuss it. An ex player taking them to court and they don’t even make a single post about it, as though it hasn’t happened. It’s bizarre.

Crewe should change the name Gresty Road to The Vatican.

The mind boggles - it truly does.

As a practising Catholic I think that's a bit below the belt Barry.

At least the Vatican have owned up to their shortcomings, more than Crewe Alex have done.

As a practising Catholic I think that's a bit below the belt Barry.

At least the Vatican have owned up to their shortcomings, more than Crewe Alex have done.

Yes, I agree, and I unreservedly apologise.

In hindsight it was a very poor attempt using such 'shabby humour'.

Again, sorry Bon'Ami.

Archived