onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Forest Green Rovers

Fosse69

Loathe to be too critical but agree Tommy.

Crookes is like a rabbit in headlights when he gets near the opposition box and 9/10 takes the easy option and gives it to someone else instead of putting in a cross.

Just wasn't to be today, however if I were a County fan playing 70 mins against 10 men and losing to an injury time goal I'd be saying it's curtains.

Another game gone and whilst not a great day we have in effect just lost a single point to Macc.

Finally the Lorne street lino was equally if not more culpable than the ref.

Some incredible decisions with the wiping out of Clark right in front of his nose possibly the worst decision.

The Clark incident was right in front of me (but the liner was closer!!!) - blatant foul. Minutes later Clark takes his revenge (hardly surprising, he had been battered one way or another all day) - booking. I screamed at the liner that that was down to him not doing his job. trouble is they don't give a toss do they. he ignored numerous fouls all match long - useless. I hate moaning about officials, unless we have won, just sounds like sour grapes then.

Advert

Thought we did well today. FGR looked a good side. Got tired in the second half because we are playing football at at a much higher tempo. Lets be honest we've started playing football the players aren't used to it. I thought Joyce was really good today and deserved his MOTM (well that's what I think and I'm sticking to it.

Been pretty similar when he has been fit?

Vale need Miller and Pope up front, especially at home. Today for most of the time it seemed like Vale were playing 4-5-1, Miller was on his own up front, same as last week. Vale were still crossing balls into the box even though we'd only got a 5ft and a fag end Miller as the only person in the box, Miller is not a target man.

Yep Vale played some nice football in the 1st half but it counts for nothing when it doesn't produce a goal. Vale have to score when we have periods when on top, playing Pope and Miller gives options, the nice football and crosses to someone who can head a ball.

It was a game of two halves, a game of their two subs, well one really, who, for whatever reason, massively changed the game in favour of the Vegans, but more importantly a game of two chairmen. Dale Vince maybe a knobber but I would gladly eat grass for life and convert my house into a windmill if it meant swapping him for our pie munching clown.

Yes it’s like a no deal Brexit will work out for the better in the long run.

Anything is better than a slow death from Smurthwaite strangling the club.

Vale need Miller and Pope up front, especially at home. Today for most of the time it seemed like Vale were playing 4-5-1, Miller was on his own up front, same as last week. Vale were still crossing balls into the box even though we'd only got a 5ft and a fag end Miller as the only person in the box, Miller is not a target man.

Yep Vale played some nice football in the 1st half but it counts for nothing when it doesn't produce a goal. Vale have to score when we have periods when on top, playing Pope and Miller gives options, the nice football and crosses to someone who can head a ball.

The game depends on the midfield supporting the forwards but Montano,Miller and Worrall got isolated in the second half.

We needed Whitfield on to run at them and cause problems to their defenders tired legs but it didn’t happen.

Team played well for 55 minutes perhaps even being the better team. But FG changed tactics with a double sub bring on much more mobility up front.This led to 15 minutes of dominance by FG. I felt this came as our players started to tire.

I was calling for subs. We desperately needed fresh legs and restoration of our ability to retain the ball and get up the pitch. I thought the manager went awol and didn't respond until FG scored. That sub was not enough as it didn't give us enough in attack or provide the legs to wrestle back control in midfield.

Then a mistake from Clarke at the end. Could have done with Pope second half today.

Missed the first 10 and last 5 due to leaving early to take van back after house move earlier in the day .

So my marks on what i saw

Brown 6 nothing do yet concedes 2 goals didnt see the second first well it was such a poor goal concede i have no idea who was at fault but we seemed lack moral fibre to keep it out .

Clark 6 good energy but final ball poor but was having a go .

Legge 5 missed a lot of headers second half where there player has got first to the ball

Smith 5 possesion wise shows no confidence on the ball he could have travelled with the ball on many occassions yesterday but took no responsibilty .

Defensively sound but like all the players there first goal (vital one )well did he along with the rest of the team do enough keep it out of our net .

No in a word .

Crookes 5

Worrall 6

Joyce 7

Montano 6

Miller 5

Oyeleke 6 .

Conlon 6 He chased everyone but when he ran out of legs i think the team as a whole were worse for it .

Oyeleke was gliding past players at times i enjoyed some phrases of his performance shame he couldnt do it for 90 he be some player .

First half im thinking something go in its deserved and for nothing go in well what a travesty .

Bit moment in second half Miller put in by a lovely clever ball from.Oyeleke if he squares it to oyeleke he as chance to score instead Miller shoot goalie saves and then hey presto they bring on 2 players and we lose our way completely and a team who deserved id say nil points gets 3 with a massive following of 179 fans (fair play to them but wheres the rest of you cause if a 1000 plus of you turn up Vale beat you ).

Overall performance for about 45 mins out of the entire game a 7 but the other 45 a 5 .

We never score a deflected goal ,never a flukey one ,other teams have shots they deflect in .

Montanos header was sublime but no liner has is flag up at 1-0 and you think then it aint going be our day and it wasnt but it so desrved be tat Conlon effort just narrowly missing going in first half should have gone in but no it didnt .

Typical Vale though win a couple then lose a couple .

Never any different .

Team played well for 55 minutes perhaps even being the better team. But FG changed tactics with a double sub bring on much more mobility up front.This led to 15 minutes of dominance by FG. I felt this came as our players started to tire.

I was calling for subs. We desperately needed fresh legs and restoration of our ability to retain the ball and get up the pitch. I thought the manager went awol and didn't respond until FG scored. That sub was not enough as it didn't give us enough in attack or provide the legs to wrestle back control in midfield.

Then a mistake from Clarke at the end. Could have done with Pope second half today.

Spot on Warren. Everyone one around us could see our legs had gone and we were crying out for fresh legs a good 10/15 mins before they scored.

Hard to see what went on as I'm in the Paddock but the linesman seemed to get at least two simple,blatant offsides wrong in the first half.

But don't let's blame the officials for our loss. We were ok in the first half but poor I thought after the break when they made two crucial subs and stopped us from playing out from the back. Miller is hopeless at keeping possession and had a very poor game, though it's hard when you are faced with big strapping defenders and the ball gets fired at you. Nonetheless he was poor and should have been subbed. Conlon too ran out of puff and they started to dominate midfield. You could see the goal coming and we can have no complaints. A game lasts for 90 minutes and they were more professional and better drilled than us after half time. No complaints.

We need a fit Tom Pope back. Miller was hopeless today and looked lost after half time.

Joyce was excellent and well deserved his MOTM award.

But that old failing in the final third came back to haunt us and once we conceded a soft goal we were never going to claw it back as they tightened up at the back and saw out the game with ease.

Can't believe what I'm reading. I didn't think Miller or his touch looked hopeless at all, especially when one considers the ball was invariably arriving at him out of the sky. I also think, like last week, and like Popey has had to endure for much of this season he was far too isolated.

When he wasn't, when we committed players forward we actually looked far more likely to score than FGR ever did, and for a team pushing for the play offs I was very disappointed with them, certainly, in the first half when they were very unadventurous, some would say negative with five six players camped out on there 18 yard box and felt even at half time, we looked like the team that would go on to win it, and were it not from a 'worldy' point blank save from their keeper, from Conlon I think it was we would have gone in at half time in front.

As others have said though, a double substitution definitely changed things, without creating much to be honest, they became more offensive, pushed us further back prevented the midfield to push on, and then yes, I then do agree Miller was having to then battle for aerial balls against two giant defenders a ploy that was always going to fail.

When that happened, we should have changed things, either by reverting to 4-4-2 or bringing on subs, or as you suggest taking Miller of.

Overall though I thought it was another promising if hardly inspiring performance, and still significantly better than it was pre-Askey, so am not too cheesed off actually.

I also echo the comments about young Crookes and perhaps now would be the time to reintroduce Gibbo and the energy he brings.

All that said with Smurfs recent comments and threats, I rather feel we have a lot more serious problems to deal with than yesterdays 90 minutes

Archived