onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Mansfield Town

Fosse69

Advert

With no Pope up top we have to play it on the deck, and we looked a much better team for it. I don't know why we even hoof it towards Pope because although he's an excellent header of the ball, how often does he actually win his individual battles with big centre-backs when facing his own goal? He puts himself about, sure, but is usually dominated.

What a brilliant afternoon, not just for the brilliant three points, the brilliant home win, and the brilliant performance but, and I cant believe I'm saying this for the brilliant entertainment!!

I accept one summer does not a summer make, but have been saying all season that our scoring problems lie, not in finding a partner for Tom, but the way we play when he's leading the line.

Without him that obviously had to change, and am convinced if Popey had played today we would have lost, because from the kick off and even though I thought everyone was heroic this afternoon, we won for two main reasons. No hoof ball, point number one, and more relevantly a front three who closed down and pressed at every given opportunity, did so higher up the pitch than we have ever done this season and to the extent that their back three looked like nervous wrecks.

That can only happen if all three are simultaneously pressing, and the work rate they all put in today in doing so was exceptional and that can't happen with Tom in the side.

Putting that aside,who else felt, like my son and I that when they missed the pen it could actually be our day?

We have rightly bemoaned our lack of good fortune these past 6,7 games and who knows Browns penalty save (and what a cracking save it was)could turn out to be the catalyst that changes all that. I don't know what Askey has done to Worral, but he is unrecognisable from the player he was at the start of the season, and Manny, probably the biggest enigma in the squad also showed why we were all demanding the club tie him to a longer deal, as he was truly magnificent. I have also argued all season that Miller, for all his faults, and I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, is a great finisher. In considering his record scoring feats you can't not be, and more, like all our forwards, the only thing that has stopped him and others scoring regularly is the lack of chances we created by consistently hoofing it, not only that he probably covered as much ground today as Popey would do in two matches, and though he probably only started through Toms injury misfortune, therein surely lies the playing pattern for the rest of the season!

This is clearly how Askey wants to play, and though many of us, myself included, took some convincing certainly after the first three games, win or lose, if we continue playing like that as a team, and put that kind of effort in, as a team, I can't believe there is a PV disciple that would ever criticise the team or the managment.

What a really enjoyable day, one that could be so vital for our safety. The only downside is I now need to refresh my supply of Beta Blockers which took a right hammering in the second half

:clap::thumbs:

Therein

Thought we played really well,well done to everyone and he's unsung but we've played a lot better since David Worrall came back. The side has a better balance. Also I think Askey is making a difference. The performances have improved.3 points on Tuesday are still a must though. Then we can breathe a little easier if Macc or NC don't win. Both have tough matches

Excellent team performance. Love the high pressing and workrate in the midfield which is in stark contrast to the previous manager. Thought Joyce and Conlon where incredible today along with Millers 2nd half performance, who was simply unplayable at times.If only he could bottle that up to be as motivated against every team.

Will be interesting to see the line-up on Tuesday as we can't play this system on Tuesday.We will need a little more creativity on Tuesday to break down Yeovil.

Said it last week- will say it again Askey IS the man for the long term future of this club.

Put a very good shift in today and a totally thoroughly deserved win was forthcoming .

The fans put a good vocal performance in to and was great to be at vale park this afternoon to witness a very good go for it performance from the players

Well done all involved and nice to be able enjoy a sat night knowing the Vale won and won well and probably desrved a few more goals in honesty .

UTV thought Joyce was excellent .

Oyeleke superb and Miller well he should have the match ball tonight .

But its Scott Browns penalty save which was the most fantastic part of the game without that confidence may have gone and the platform would not have been laid for our second half excellence bar there goal which was poor say the least .

UTV

Archived