onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Askey pleased with second-half showing from Port Vale

News Feed

Port Vale manager John Askey has been giving his reaction to the 2-1 home defeat to Tranmere Rovers on Tuesday evening. Vale’s terrible home form continued and while Askey conceded that the side “went flat” in the first period, he was happier with the second-half performance. Askey told the media:* “I think the pleasing thing […]

The post Askey pleased with second-half showing from Port Vale appeared first on onevalefan.co.uk.

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

I think we have to take into account that he has nothing to be gained from ranting either publically or behind closed doors. These players will either scrape into safety or drop into non league and teh former is more likely if they maintain a but of confidence / find a bit of confidence from somewhere.

If some of the more vocal supporters who are (rightly) very very negative on this collection of players and our form were to manage the team and do it in the way they type on OVF it really wouldn't improve things even if they would feel better.

Askey has little room to manouvre as the squad isn't very good, but I think it's fair to say that trying to praise what he can is likely to have a more +ve result than saying what he undoubtedly really thinks.

He's the manager. He's trying to manage these players. He is not a fan saying what he thinks. It's different. My suggestion would be to ignore what the manager says as it'll always be the same, pointing out the positives where they can.

Phil Brown once kept his Blackpool side on the pitch at half time as a very public berating of a first half performance. They didn't win that game, and they didn't stay up in the end. We are obviously short on confidence and some are hiding. No manager will solve that with a public dressing down. We have 2 months to go, trying to boost them will either work or it won't, but the opposite won't.

Perhaps then at seasons end he'll tell us what he really thinks

I think we have to take into account that he has nothing to be gained from ranting either publically or behind closed doors. These players will either scrape into safety or drop into non league and teh former is more likely if they maintain a but of confidence / find a bit of confidence from somewhere.

If some of the more vocal supporters who are (rightly) very very negative on this collection of players and our form were to manage the team and do it in the way they type on OVF it really wouldn't improve things even if they would feel better.

Askey has little room to manouvre as the squad isn't very good, but I think it's fair to say that trying to praise what he can is likely to have a more +ve result than saying what he undoubtedly really thinks.

He's the manager. He's trying to manage these players. He is not a fan saying what he thinks. It's different. My suggestion would be to ignore what the manager says as it'll always be the same, pointing out the positives where they can.

Phil Brown once kept his Blackpool side on the pitch at half time as a very public berating of a first half performance. They didn't win that game, and they didn't stay up in the end. We are obviously short on confidence and some are hiding. No manager will solve that with a public dressing down. We have 2 months to go, trying to boost them will either work or it won't, but the opposite won't.

Didn’t Brown do that when he was manager of Hull as I’m sure Jimmy Bullard took the mick in a goalcoring celebration the following season when he recreated it?

I’m sure it was Hull away at Man City?

Didn’t Brown do that when he was manager of Hull as I’m sure Jimmy Bullard took the mick in a goalcoring celebration the following season when he recreated it?

I’m sure it was Hull away at Man City?

Might have been - was certainly a Prem game. Either way his 'honest' efforts are no more effective

A sensible post offering perhaps the managers perspective.

However, I do struggle with the negative formation, lack of width and midfield creativity. Minimal direct play and being picked off and overrun via midfield in every home game. We still have 30 players to chose from, 4 or 5 of the first team should not be playing imo, not being good enough or simply too nervous to perform.

It does not need a professional opinion to state that unless we try to enforce change and be more positive in play then we will be relegated for sure. The stats show this beyond any realm of argument. Change it John, nothing to lose now

I thought we played fairly well in the second half, got men forward more and with the subs finally had a bit of pace and threat down the wings.

But I agree with you. The team that finished the game should have started it. I was hoping he would have learned lessons from Saturday when our wing backs couldn't get to the byline, we hit a brick wall in the second half and were crying out for a player or two who could dribble and get down the side of their defence.

Monty is our second top scorer and can run with the ball. He has to play. Clark is a young defender who does his best but he isn't in Monty's class going forward.

For me, both Legge (for his experience as much as anything) and Howkins are better defenders than those we're picking at present.

I'd clean forgotten about Worrall but he gave us a bit of a lift down the right wing when he came on.

Oyeleke is badly needed. The big problem is our central midfield. Everyone we play passes the ball better than us and we win very few loose balls.

I agree, Pete. Let's be brave. In home games at least we look so much better but the game has gone quite often before we get out of second gear.

I'm tempted to say that we could pick a better XI from those who didn't start the game last night. I don't think I'd be far wrong.

Agree Sage

Side should be:

Brown

Gibbons Howkins Legge Crookes

Worrall Oyeleke Kay Montano

Pope Whitfield

Brown/ Legge/ Kay/ Pope give the vocal support and experience

Will it happen - probably not

If we are to survive we can't try and 'shut up shop' we can't do it with 5 at the back and 2 defensive midfielders - ridiculous

Archived