The Myth that is Tom Pope

philmpv

Tom Pope has been a fantastic servant to Vale but there comes a time when you have to try something different as you cannot put pressure on the Vale main man and fan to deliver all the time .

The lack of goals in our team is frightening .

On sat Joyce put some good balls in and as usual Smith Rawlinson and Crookes for centre halfs never got on the end of them .

Come think of it a corner or a set piece situation last season never amounted to anything .

Thats the problem we dont have the hunger put the ball in the net and keep it out of ours and thats why we are 88th out of 92 in league status .

Popey like everyone else should be willing come off early (Askey has to be brave enough do that and see if another way of getting that all important goal hoals rtc )and try a different route to goal instead of leaving him on when its quite frankly not his day as saturday wasnt and youcould visibly see his frustration at his team mates who are limited but occassionally ok .

Thats my opinion anyway .

Harris holds the ball up well but we want see someone breaking the net .

Folk moan about Hannant but least that lad has some attempts at goal the one on sat early second half if that would have gone in it would have been a magnificent goal.

Popey s been brilliant but its a team game so all play like its a team game UTV .

Not about individuals has i have players i would like not representing Vale at all but all the managers seem think he is the answer my question is this .

How effective is Nathan Smith ,does he head the ball down at corners for one of our players score ?

Wasnt Ellison is man on sat if so why is he allowing him time to pass it to the wide left player as watching the goal he seems be doing nothing .

Rawlinson joined in on sat and made runs forward yet he is the he is deemed not good enough lets berate him unfairly in my opinion .

Our defence had nowt do on sat yet nearly conceded 3 times when under little pressure at all .

Is pope the problem ,No smurf is and players stealing a wage

Advert:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is perfectly fine for anyone to comment on a player, his current form, his effect on the team and so on. What I find a little disappointing is that someone should start a thread with this title. Tom Pope is the third highest scorer in the club's history. To use the word "myth" in relation to his contribution to the club is harsh in the extreme in my opinion.

Can I just say one more thing. Just because Pope is in the team doesn’t mean we have to play hoof ball. Poppy is as good on the ground as anyone. I don’t get this nonsense that we can only play long ball when Pope is playing. It’s boll.ocks. The fact that we do tend to go long when Pope is playing suggests that we have a lot of players who lack invention, courage and imagination, look up and see Pope and think ‘yeah I’ll just go the easy option.’

100% correct.

Laughable that a striker for the least prolific team in the EFL can have such influence. Our last good performance (and win) was at Crawley when, surprise surprise, Tom Pope did not feature.

Tom Pope has recently been out injured for several games, how did the experiment work in his absence.

Advert:

Tom Pope has recently been out injured for several games, how did the experiment work in his absence.

Excellently down at Crawley where we won, kept a clean sheet and had a togetherness rarely seen with Barking Pope on the pitch.

Honestly: do what you do when we sign any other striker: look at his stats!

Apart from that one wonder season, and getting 17 last season, he averages 7,1 goal per season active. Scoring 1 every 3,9 games.

That is kept up, big time, by his 31 goal wonder season!

Had we signed a players with his stats, my God had the rapture been on down Vale Park!

His stats actually looks, dare I say it, a lot like Ricky Millers. One wonder season, bang average all others.

Not slating the guy, absolutely not, just putting things into perspective.

Advert:

Honestly: do what you do when we sign any other striker: look at his stats!

Apart from that one wonder season, and getting 17 last season, he averages 7,1 goal per season active. Scoring 1 every 3,9 games.

That is kept up, big time, by his 31 goal wonder season!

Had we signed a players with his stats, my God had the rapture been on down Vale Park!

His stats actually looks, dare I say it, a lot like Ricky Millers. One wonder season, bang average all others.

Not slating the guy, absolutely not, just putting things into perspective.

This is the 6th season in professional football that Tom Pope has reached double figures. One season wonder? Ricky Miller could only dream of figures like that.

It's all we ever hear,our players are no good but so and so who plays for whoever is what we are missing.lets get behind our players,if Pope was playing up front for tranmere tomorrow I would be very worried,he's just come back from an injury so give the bloke a break.

Are you braindead?

The worst post I've ever seen on OVF and that says something.

It certainly is and as usual the Repettes are out in force.Pope led the line brilliantly Saturday, was unlucky with the penalty because of the ever increasing incompetent officials who now referee our games.I expect a hard fort game tomorrow with Popey leading the line to victory and ease the pressure on everything Port vale.

"Never fail always Vale".

Advert:

It certainly is and as usual the Repettes are out in force.Pope led the line brilliantly Saturday, was unlucky with the penalty because of the ever increasing incompetent officials who now referee our games.I expect a hard fort game tomorrow with Popey leading the line to victory and ease the pressure on everything Port vale.

"Never fail always Vale".

Yeah the referee telegraphed to the goalkeeper where Pope was going to put it. Typical irrational biased football fan view, blame the officials for the failure of players 🤪

Lead the line brilliantly, pray tell can you evidence that comment unless abusing his team mates and throwing his arms round like a windmill because he’s lost his dummy is brilliant?

It’s not his fault as others have said that we don’t play a system that suits his somewhat one dimensional style but he’s then as a professional got to contribute in other ways and take his chances when they come along, he’s missed two exceptionally easy chances now in two games.

He desperately needs a goal or two tomorrow and to contribute to 3 points to put things right.

Archived