onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Myth that is Tom Pope

philmpv

Pope is our top scorer still, despite playing on his own, 30 yards further up the pitch than anyone else for most of the season.

How many goals did Miller score before Askey came in and changed the way we play?

Murray is 35. Pope is just turned 33. You write about him as if he's 75 and in a bath chair. Ridiculous comments.

Like last season, if we stay up this season, Brown apart, Pope has done more for that cause than any other player.

If you seriously think Miller is a better all-round player and league goalscorer than Pope then you need to get another guide dog. :wink:

Pope,apart from pens,has scored 5 league goals.Not good enough.Miller has 4 in half the playing time as Pope.

Advert

Pope,apart from pens,has scored 5 league goals.Not good enough.Miller has 4 in half the playing time as Pope.

It's actually just less than half the playing time. In addition, both Monty and Whitfield have 4 goals to their name, again both in less than half the playing time than Pope (in the case of Monty, it's nearly a third of the playing time). Says it all really.

It's actually just less than half the playing time. In addition, both Monty and Whitfield have 4 goals to their name, again both in less than half the playing time than Pope (in the case of Monty, it's nearly a third of the playing time). Says it all really.

Let’s not forget Tom sets up others for goals.2 assists this season.Luke Hannant ,who isn’t good enough according to quite a few,has 5 assists.

So leading the line and holding the ball wouldn’t be his job then Owd?His career has always been based on that,good luck with changing that.He’s not quick enough to get on the end of through balls.I’d use him as sub now or away from home if we go more defensive.

Strange how the 3 goals scored v Yeovil were mad e for Pope being on

the pitch :

1. Header from a corner

2. Direct ball upfield, knocked on to support player

3. Cross from high up pitch wide right to far post

Not saying Pope should ever be an automatic pick but certainly the goals we created v Yeovil were made for him.

Our overall style, work rate / effort and attacking awareness are completely different from what we saw with Aspin in charge

We cant now kid ourselves that the 11 players with the jersey now are the end of our problems, they are not but the style of play is a refreshing change to Aspin's style.

We would still rely heavily on a sole striker scoring 25+ goals for us.

lets get the style and commitment right and then find the right players.

Strange how the 3 goals scored v Yeovil were mad e for Pope being on

the pitch :

1. Header from a corner

2. Direct ball upfield, knocked on to support player

3. Cross from high up pitch wide right to far post

Not saying Pope should ever be an automatic pick but certainly the goals we created v Yeovil were made for him.

Our overall style, work rate / effort and attacking awareness are completely different from what we saw with Aspin in charge

We cant now kid ourselves that the 11 players with the jersey now are the end of our problems, they are not but the style of play is a refreshing change to Aspin's style.

We would still rely heavily on a sole striker scoring 25+ goals for us.

lets get the style and commitment right and then find the right players.

I think the movement

has improved markedly without Pope especially in the last 2 home games.There seems much more energy than before and more shots and chances being made.My mate thought “Glad all over”was last sung in the 60s.Ive actually got up out of my seat apart from when we’ve scored.As I’ve said Pope can be used in different circumstances,SL.

So the movement has improved a lot because one player, Pope, has been missing?

It has improved. I agree. But that's because Askey has started to play more of a 4.3.3 formation and tried harder to get more men up the pitch. If you get men around Pope he'll cause problems and score goals, as we all know.

If we play him when he isn't fit or when he's the lone striker with no-one anywhere near him then he won't score many, as was the case under Aspin.

Miller scored, what, 1 goal from open play under Aspin, was it?

There is a reason why Pope has scored over 100 league goals and played at a higher level than this and another reason why Miller has had more clubs than Tiger Woods and scored hardly any goals in league football. Think about it.

I think it's undeniable the reason Pope, and similarly Miller and Whitfield scored so few under Aspin were the tactics employed. So much so, I have questioned many times this season who would want to be a forward for PV during his tenure.

All Pope could do is try and win headers and the latter two were both then expected to win the second ball, again coming out of the sky, against huge centre halves. It was never going to work and never did work.

Personally, Pope will always be a PV hero and clearly has plenty of mileage in the tank and I dare say plenty of goals, however, playing devils advocate, he has looked unfit all season and being blunt even slower than is customary. If he was playing under Askey, am convinced he would score more goals as on the evidence he would get a better service, but it still means getting the ball to him in the air, where, certainly from the current squad he remains peerless. However if we are to continue with three players pressing high up the pitch it requires energy and it's an area in which Pope is lacking.

I also think it's unfair to compare say Pope and Miller because as players they are polar opposites.I doubt if he played all season Miller would ever score a headed goal, but in fairness to the boy, I do believe he is the better finisher, he never gives defence's a minute rest, and draws fouls for fun whereas this season, and maybe out of frustration who knows, Tom continually gives them away. One gains possession one gives it away. Which would you choose?

What I would like to know is when will Popey be back, I thought it was but a little tweak, and yet we have seen no sign of the skipper and unless I have missed it, no updates....anyone know?

Probably going to need a tin hat for saying this but, although Aspin was a player legend, it's now crystal clear that he was NOT a football league manager. You only have to look at the last few games, in which we have shown more tactics at attacking than the past few seasons together. This shows how much out of his depth Aspin was even though potentially he had one helluva of a goalscorer, in Pope, in the squad. Pope was never allowed by Aspins selections and tactics , to show his true worth. A few games under Askey have shown that by not being scared to death, Vale can muster a squad who can actually be attack minded and give opponents something to worry about. Pope is part of a squad now and has a part to play. However at the moment he has to bide his time and allow the current holders of the shirt to gel and continue to play together as a team.

I think it's undeniable the reason Pope, and similarly Miller and Whitfield scored so few under Aspin were the tactics employed. So much so, I have questioned many times this season who would want to be a forward for PV during his tenure.

All Pope could do is try and win headers and the latter two were both then expected to win the second ball, again coming out of the sky, against huge centre halves. It was never going to work and never did work.

Personally, Pope will always be a PV hero and clearly has plenty of mileage in the tank and I dare say plenty of goals, however, playing devils advocate, he has looked unfit all season and being blunt even slower than is customary. If he was playing under Askey, am convinced he would score more goals as on the evidence he would get a better service, but it still means getting the ball to him in the air, where, certainly from the current squad he remains peerless. However if we are to continue with three players pressing high up the pitch it requires energy and it's an area in which Pope is lacking.

I also think it's unfair to compare say Pope and Miller because as players they are polar opposites.I doubt if he played all season Miller would ever score a headed goal, but in fairness to the boy, I do believe he is the better finisher, he never gives defence's a minute rest, and draws fouls for fun whereas this season, and maybe out of frustration who knows, Tom continually gives them away. One gains possession one gives it away. Which would you choose?

What I would like to know is when will Popey be back, I thought it was but a little tweak, and yet we have seen no sign of the skipper and unless I have missed it, no updates....anyone know?

The biggest problem was Tom Pope's isolation. Even when he was the recipient of the ball that was lumped up to him and could hold it up he was short of partners who could offer him a target to lay the ball off to. That and the injuries he was obviously carrying most of his time in the side this season meant we didn't see the best of him.

Having said all that though, the tactics that John Askey is now employing obviously so suit the side that Tom couldn't be employed in his former role. I see him now mainly as an impact sub - once he's back to full fitness.

So the movement has improved a lot because one player, Pope, has been missing?

It has improved. I agree. But that's because Askey has started to play more of a 4.3.3 formation and tried harder to get more men up the pitch. If you get men around Pope he'll cause problems and score goals, as we all know.

If we play him when he isn't fit or when he's the lone striker with no-one anywhere near him then he won't score many, as was the case under Aspin.

Miller scored, what, 1 goal from open play under Aspin, was it?

There is a reason why Pope has scored over 100 league goals and played at a higher level than this and another reason why Miller has had more clubs than Tiger Woods and scored hardly any goals in league football. Think about it.

I understand the Swindon game was not the best due to conditions but reading press and supporters comments I noticed :

The players seemed to run out of steam after the last two home games.

Miller had a poor game and was hardly ever in the game due to

very little support from the midfield and also poor quality balls from the wide men.

Perhaps his game is also dependent solely on the other players around him supplying good quality balls into him.

I too believe that, with the style of play we have seen in the two home games then Pope's contribution would have been far better than in the 3 months previous.

It is the style of play that Askey has put in that has changed us.

Long may it continue and I hope the players dont tire too often

It will be tempting to bring Pope back should we stagnate lose a couple/get another goalless draw

Or he could show some faith...I think Askey will show faith and go with what he has, Pope will get his place on the bench and I think he would be better being a part player. Bring Pope in for 90 minutes and we will end up playing Pope ball

Need get that donkey out the club. Useless, all he does is head it and it's rarely in the right direction

IMO that comment is completely disrespectful to all the contributions (not least his 99 goals!) that Tom Pope has made to Port Vale over the years. As with all players who are nearer to the end of their careers rather than at the beginning, time and tiring legs catch up. However, to suggest as you do, kicking him out of the club is totally out of order!

Every player, irrespective of whether he's a club hero & icon, still has to fight for his place in the team, and I suspect Tom, more than most totally understands this. Whotobeakiller (#133 above) at least takes a slightly more respectful stance than you do! Given the recent form of the team and the results achieved, I suspect that Tom will have to bide his time on the bench, as John Askey will more than likely go with the recent succesful playing formula. But please do not rubbish a player who has in the past given, and continues to give so much to the club.

Archived