onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Myth that is Tom Pope

philmpv

Pope is a better player than Miller. End of.

He'd thrive if he was given the right service.

I'm not saying we should change a winning team necessarily but they are completely different players so comparing them isn't sensible.

One is an old fashioned target man, the other more of an inside forward who runs the channels.

Ideally they should compliment each other.

I didn't think Miller played well last night. He was in one of his head down, pub football moods, where he won't pass the ball and runs down blind alleys. He could have played in another Vale player twice but chose not to do so. His awareness is very poor.

Yes, he buzzes around and is a nuisance, though for one moment I thought he was in danger of another card last night. But surely, in this league, Pope is a better all round bet. He can hold up the ball, he does have greater awareness, he is a better header and he has a proven scoring record in league football.

We've done better in the last few games not because Pope hasn't played and Miller has but because our midfield players have shown a lot more energy and running power, and have finally started to create chances and play further up the pitch.

If anything the key has been to drop Kay and recall Worrall who has been a catalyst in our more energetic style of play.

We've played for the majority of the season with Pope as the focal point and we've scored hardly any goals, we're predictable and clearly that style of play (aka PopeBall) doesn't suit our best players - Oyeleke, Worrall et al. I don't see how it can be said that Pope is a 'better bet'.

Pope should be appreciated for what he has given to the club, but it's 2019. I think a lot of people still think we've got the Tom Pope of the promotion season but I hate to break it to you, that's 6 years ago.

As for those saying they'd like to see them playing together, it's clear as day that they don't get on. From Pope's comments in pre season about Miller in training, to his berating of him everytime he isn;t given the ball to the clearly frosty handshake on the post match 'tunnel' videos, it's obvious that Pope doesn't rate Miller.

I don;t really get it, but it's to Tom's detriment that he acts this way. He can (and probably will) stay at the club for the next few years until retirement, but he needs to let go of his control and actually help to develop players.

Advert

Haven't people realised that the whole team has been playing better over the last few games. Manny, Conlon and Worrall are almost unrecognisable from their poor performances before hand. Tom Pope certainly leads the line and can keep hold of the ball better than anyone else at the club.

I think that Pope would benefit from the new more attack minded system instead of being up there on his own with the midfield support far behind.

Previously Aspo was playing five centre backs and we were sitting very deep and hoofing it up. That was not Popes fault. The number of crosses we put into the box in the last two home matches would have led to Pope scoring without doubt and that is down to the manager in picking a formation with players in their strongest positions, energy and a bit of pace in the attacking five players.

I don't think Pope and Miller together will work for various reasons, mainly down to Miller not having the awareness or willingness to be a team player. Pope is by far the better player but whichever one is on the bench is a pretty good sub to bring on at this level.

I think we should ask the defenders we are due to face until the end of the season as to Miller or Pope? I don't think it would be as close as Brexit.!
Chatting to a Notts mate last week, who said "See you still got that battering ram, wish we had him". Pope is older than when in his prime, troubled with injuries, but when fit with reasonable service can use his experience to our advantage. We cannot rely on one striker nor can Pope expect to be the king pin as his powers decline.

Haven't people realised that the whole team has been playing better over the last few games. Manny, Conlon and Worrall are almost unrecognisable from their poor performances before hand. Tom Pope certainly leads the line and can keep hold of the ball better than anyone else at the club.

I think that Pope would benefit from the new more attack minded system instead of being up there on his own with the midfield support far behind.

So leading the line and holding the ball wouldn’t be his job then Owd?His career has always been based on that,good luck with changing that.He’s not quick enough to get on the end of through balls.I’d use him as sub now or away from home if we go more defensive.

If we continue to play 4-3-3 can we play Miller and Popey together?

If Pope and Miller play together we should play 4-4-2 as Miller will most likely be pushed out to the left like he was when he came on as a sub the other week and Pope was still on.

As an aside, we all saw how difficult Miller found the game on Saturday when to all intent and purpose he ended up playing up front on his own against Swindle.

There was an interesting discussion on 5 Live tonight involving Glenn Murray, Chris Sutton and Ian Wright.

They were all saying that there is still a role for the old fashioned centre forward in the modern game because they can hold up the ball and get the team up the pitch. Murray is 35 but insisted that with support and service and players around him he felt he could still score goals and was worth his place in the team. It was also pointed out that quite a few top teams still play with an old fashioned target man, like Newcastle (Rondon), Watford (Deeney) & Burnley (Wood), to name but three. There is clearly still a role for these type of players in 2019.

It tended to back up what some of us have been saying. Experienced target men can't run the channels like some other inside forwards but they are able to make the ball stick, be a threat in the air and bring others into the game.

There was an interesting discussion on 5 Live tonight involving Glenn Murray, Chris Sutton and Ian Wright.

They were all saying that there is still a role for the old fashioned centre forward in the modern game because they can hold up the ball and get the team up the pitch. Murray is 35 but insisted that with support and service and players around him he felt he could still score goals and was worth his place in the team. It was also pointed out that quite a few top teams still play with an old fashioned target man, like Newcastle (Rondon), Watford (Deeney) & Burnley (Wood), to name but three. There is clearly still a role for these type of players in 2019.

It tended to back up what some of us have been saying. Experienced target men can't run the channels like some other inside forwards but they are able to make the ball stick, be a threat in the air and bring others into the game.

Sadly he simply hasn’t done any of that this season sage.

He clearly wouldn’t suit the high pressing game Arthur favours either, you will note Leicester and Liverpool who both play that way don’t play with an immobile style target man.

What game do you watch if you think Tom Pope is immobile?

I think the more pertinent question is what games do you watch if you think he is mobile? You must rock up to games rolling drunk and think it's the world moving rather than yourself. That's the only explanation I can think of :-)

Pope is our top scorer still, despite playing on his own, 30 yards further up the pitch than anyone else for most of the season.

How many goals did Miller score before Askey came in and changed the way we play?

Murray is 35. Pope is just turned 33. You write about him as if he's 75 and in a bath chair. Ridiculous comments.

Like last season, if we stay up this season, Brown apart, Pope has done more for that cause than any other player.

If you seriously think Miller is a better all-round player and league goalscorer than Pope then you need to get another guide dog. :wink:

Archived