onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Myth that is Tom Pope

philmpv

Lets get real here on Saturday we didn't look like scoring a goal in the first half and we were all hoping for a goaless draw. I am as pleased as anyone that thanks to errors by the Mansfield defence we got two goals early in the second half and Miller took them both well but don't think we no longer need Tom Pope as it will come back and bite you on the bottom I'm sure.

I do think that Mansfield's big defence were less suited to a nippy forward than a player like Tom. In regard to his moaning yes he moans but I'm sure that is because he cares!

Advert

Lets get real here on Saturday we didn't look like scoring a goal in the first half and we were all hoping for a goaless draw. I am as pleased as anyone that thanks to errors by the Mansfield defence we got two goals early in the second half and Miller took them both well but don't think we no longer need Tom Pope as it will come back and bite you on the bottom I'm sure.

I do think that Mansfield's big defence were less suited to a nippy forward than a player like Tom. In regard to his moaning yes he moans but I'm sure that is because he cares!

With all due respect mate I'm sure he does care but if, as it seems, confidence is low rollicking someone for not doing their job by someone not doing his isn't going to help at all... in those situations diminishing one players confidence diminishes all players confidence... like a helix, the more pressure you apply from the top the further down the bottom goes... and everything inbetween.

Big defenders are de rigueur in this league. If we carry on as we did against Mansfield we can keep Tom for an impact sub till he's fully fit, then other sides will have to worry about us for a change.

With all due respect mate I'm sure he does care but if, as it seems, confidence is low rollicking someone for not doing their job by someone not doing his isn't going to help at all... in those situations diminishing one players confidence diminishes all players confidence... like a helix, the more pressure you apply from the top the further down the bottom goes... and everything inbetween.

Geo, It's not only Tom Pope in Vale's side that gives other players a rollicking, Scott Brown at least is another one and let's be honest these aren't the U10's. On the other side of the coin when someone does something good the applause and the praise come out.

It's a pity Pope and Miller haven't been tried more in a 4-4-2 especially at home through the middle. They could be a foil for each other, just got to get the chemistry right between them.

Agree entirely , i made this point in September / October time.

They were never given a proper 6,7,8 game run as a pairing.

Miller seemed the scapegoat, i get he is greedy and makes the wrong decisions, however it was always him hauled off after 65 minutes and then sub at the next away game.

Aspin for his own reasons didn't trust him or want to persevere with the partnership.

Miller was Aspins scapegoat whilst Pope was an automatic pick.

The two of them ought to of been given way more time to gel.

I agree.

The problem isn't Tom Pope but the lack of support and service the strikers have had for 2-3 years now.

True, Pope can't run the channels like Miller but he can hold up the ball better and is a better header of a ball. There should be room for both types if we had a decent midfield four.

Numerous little and large combinations have worked.

Toshack/ Keegan

Sharp/Lineker

It is all about playing to a formation and your strengths.

I know Pope is a bit older now and Miller scored in The Conference but surely there was at least a 25-30 goal partnership in the making.

It was just never given time to come to fruition and i'll never know why.

I agree.

The problem isn't Tom Pope but the lack of support and service the strikers have had for 2-3 years now.

True, Pope can't run the channels like Miller but he can hold up the ball better and is a better header of a ball. There should be room for both types if we had a decent midfield four.

Our pitch is too big for a conventional 4-4-2 in the modern game sadly. If we want a high intensity pressing game that is not set up for Pope as he’s simply not the right fit for that job. If Askey wants to keep him as the spearhead to his attack he needs to change his pressing game mentality.

Our pitch is too big for a conventional 4-4-2 in the modern game sadly. If we want a high intensity pressing game that is not set up for Pope as he’s simply not the right fit for that job. If Askey wants to keep him as the spearhead to his attack he needs to change his pressing game mentality.
Don't agree though he isn't quick no one tries to press more than Pope I have seen him pressurise defenders into mistakes and kicking the ball into touch on countless occasions.

Pope is a better player than Miller. End of.

He'd thrive if he was given the right service.

I'm not saying we should change a winning team necessarily but they are completely different players so comparing them isn't sensible.

One is an old fashioned target man, the other more of an inside forward who runs the channels.

Ideally they should compliment each other.

I didn't think Miller played well last night. He was in one of his head down, pub football moods, where he won't pass the ball and runs down blind alleys. He could have played in another Vale player twice but chose not to do so. His awareness is very poor.

Yes, he buzzes around and is a nuisance, though for one moment I thought he was in danger of another card last night. But surely, in this league, Pope is a better all round bet. He can hold up the ball, he does have greater awareness, he is a better header and he has a proven scoring record in league football.

We've done better in the last few games not because Pope hasn't played and Miller has but because our midfield players have shown a lot more energy and running power, and have finally started to create chances and play further up the pitch.

If anything the key has been to drop Kay and recall Worrall who has been a catalyst in our more energetic style of play.

Tom Pope when fully fit is a must in the side. The problem is that through various injuries he has not been anywhere near that this season. He has played with injuries and when he has been out he has been rushed back too soon because we didn't seem to have any other options. Askey has shown us that if you play further forward and support the attackers with likes of Manny, Conlon and Worrall then we have plenty of options to score goals.

I would make sure Tom is fully recovered from his injury, then make sure his fitness level is up to par before bringing him back in. You will then see a very different Pope and then there will be no debate.

Archived