onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Myth that is Tom Pope

philmpv

The problem is, Tom is not capable of doing what Miller, Worall and Hannant did collectively on Saturday.

Pressing as a unit, as we did so superbly Saturday, means everyone has to be fit and everyone has to maintain the pace and commitment for 90 minutes, if they don't, if just one of those three slacken off the whole pressing intent and all the benefits received by doing so goes out of the window, and Tom at his age, even though still quite superb when balls are in the air, clearly, with his limited mobility and fitness can't do that.

You’ve hit the nail on the head here, a high pressing game begins from the striker(s) as highlighted by Rodgers when talking about the importance of Vardy to Leicester in that style of play since he took over. This style of play doesn’t suit Pope at all but his height and weight make him a great 20-30 minute impact sub when and if we need a plan b.

Advert

It's noticeable that no-one ever bowlocks Pope, even when he misses easy and crucial chances. It would be interesting to see his reaction if it happened.

Tom's a bright bloke and definitely one of the game's more thoughtful characters. He must know that few people work better under constant berating.

Think he does get a lot of slack for A) being the local lad that loves Vale & B) being a legend.

I can't imagine many in the team would dare challenge him for missing an easy chance though, imagine a kick off between him & Miller

It's noticeable that no-one ever bowlocks Pope, even when he misses easy and crucial chances. It would be interesting to see his reaction if it happened.

Tom's a bright bloke and definitely one of the game's more thoughtful characters. He must know that few people work better under constant berating.

Bright and thoughtful in what way? He certainly doesn’t give that impression generally.

I’ve had loads of messages from people who have no interest in Vale who have commented on his recent podcast performance suggesting he’s ‘funny’, a ‘banterer’, a ‘little thick’, ‘loves swearing’ and ‘tells a good story’ but not one has suggested he’s bright or thoughtful.

I don’t think for a moment he does know or realise his constant moaning and berating of others has a negative impact on his colleagues otherwise he would cease and desist or at least tone it down.

How odd that the Sentinel have felt the need to write an article defending Tom Pope.

I keep seeing this argument that Pope is good with the ball at his feet and the theory of ‘Popeball’ is rubbish.

However, I don’t think they get the point. I am not saying Pope does not have technical ability with the ball at his feet, I am saying he has no pace to run in behind, which is a requisite attribute for any lone striker. Case in point, Miller’s first goal.

Anyway, I guess the proof will be in the pudding tomorrow night. Can Miller continue scoring, or will he show his inconsistency again?

On the flip side, I do think Pope has a part to play over the last 10 games and he will be a great weapon to bring off the bench.

There may be too many people expecting Miller to score every game now. Give him some breathing space! Yes he should be chosen to play, even if Pope is fit, but come on fans ,support him, don't knock him and don't expect miracles. If he continues to cause havoc with opponents defences we may see the benefits of attacking midfielders now chipping in with goals too.

Not sure if he will put the same side out as I think a few were dead on their feet at the end and Even more so Ricky Miller who after an hour was shattered and couldn’t run. I’d be very surprised if he could produce the same workrate a few days after Saturday.

Be interesting to see the side in what for me is a bigger game than saturday was.

How odd that the Sentinel have felt the need to write an article defending Tom Pope.

I keep seeing this argument that Pope is good with the ball at his feet and the theory of ‘Popeball’ is rubbish.

However, I don’t think they get the point. I am not saying Pope does not have technical ability with the ball at his feet, I am saying he has no pace to run in behind, which is a requisite attribute for any lone striker. Case in point, Miller’s first goal.

Anyway, I guess the proof will be in the pudding tomorrow night. Can Miller continue scoring, or will he show his inconsistency again?

On the flip side, I do think Pope has a part to play over the last 10 games and he will be a great weapon to bring off the bench.

Disagree you don't need to be able run in behind to play on your own upfront if you bring others into play BUT you do need others to be close enough to run in behind you which was severely lacking under the previous manager.

You're right about tomorrow though. Lets be honest other than the 2nd half Saturday and the opening day of the season what has he done? I think Vale even gave him the option of moving on in transfer window.

How odd that he’s a sentinel columnist indeed 😂

Disagree you don't need to be able run in behind to play on your own upfront if you bring others into play BUT you do need others to be close enough to run in behind you which was severely lacking under the previous manager.

You're right about tomorrow though. Lets be honest other than the 2nd half Saturday and the opening day of the season what has he done? I think Vale even gave him the option of moving on in transfer window.

He had a decent start to the season without the goals flowing.

Also what about our previous win where he won us the game at Crawley?

Strange article from the Sentinel, particularly as it’s got so little substance to it, not to mention the fact it makes more out of the situation than needs to be. I wasn’t there Saturday so can’t comment on that, but it’s clear that having scored none in our last five and only three in ten, something had to change. Pope got injured, the change was forced on us, we played a different way and scored two goals and looked better for it. So how they can print this drivel is beyond me. Equally that doesn’t mean I never want see Pope in the team again, as I think he’s a very underrated player who still has something to offer and deserves a bit of respect for what he’s done for the club.

It is sad, but every legend...every hero...comes toward the end of his career at some point. It can't really be argued that Tom Pope is as effective this season as he was last. It also can't be argued that he's the only one who can score for us...maybe Miller will take over his role as main man, with an extended run in the team due to pope's injury? I know it might be premature suggesting Miller could be Vale's saviour and future...but there is no doubt that against Mansfield the whole team put a shift in...and Tom Pope would not have had the legs to do the same!

Archived