onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The Myth that is Tom Pope

philmpv

Honestly: do what you do when we sign any other striker: look at his stats!

Apart from that one wonder season, and getting 17 last season, he averages 7,1 goal per season active. Scoring 1 every 3,9 games.

That is kept up, big time, by his 31 goal wonder season!

Had we signed a players with his stats, my God had the rapture been on down Vale Park!

His stats actually looks, dare I say it, a lot like Ricky Millers. One wonder season, bang average all others.

Not slating the guy, absolutely not, just putting things into perspective.

Advert

Honestly: do what you do when we sign any other striker: look at his stats!

Apart from that one wonder season, and getting 17 last season, he averages 7,1 goal per season active. Scoring 1 every 3,9 games.

That is kept up, big time, by his 31 goal wonder season!

Had we signed a players with his stats, my God had the rapture been on down Vale Park!

His stats actually looks, dare I say it, a lot like Ricky Millers. One wonder season, bang average all others.

Not slating the guy, absolutely not, just putting things into perspective.

This is the 6th season in professional football that Tom Pope has reached double figures. One season wonder? Ricky Miller could only dream of figures like that.

It's all we ever hear,our players are no good but so and so who plays for whoever is what we are missing.lets get behind our players,if Pope was playing up front for tranmere tomorrow I would be very worried,he's just come back from an injury so give the bloke a break.

Are you braindead?

The worst post I've ever seen on OVF and that says something.

It certainly is and as usual the Repettes are out in force.Pope led the line brilliantly Saturday, was unlucky with the penalty because of the ever increasing incompetent officials who now referee our games.I expect a hard fort game tomorrow with Popey leading the line to victory and ease the pressure on everything Port vale.

"Never fail always Vale".

It certainly is and as usual the Repettes are out in force.Pope led the line brilliantly Saturday, was unlucky with the penalty because of the ever increasing incompetent officials who now referee our games.I expect a hard fort game tomorrow with Popey leading the line to victory and ease the pressure on everything Port vale.

Yeah the referee telegraphed to the goalkeeper where Pope was going to put it. Typical irrational biased football fan view, blame the officials for the failure of players 🤪

Lead the line brilliantly, pray tell can you evidence that comment unless abusing his team mates and throwing his arms round like a windmill because he’s lost his dummy is brilliant?

It’s not his fault as others have said that we don’t play a system that suits his somewhat one dimensional style but he’s then as a professional got to contribute in other ways and take his chances when they come along, he’s missed two exceptionally easy chances now in two games.

He desperately needs a goal or two tomorrow and to contribute to 3 points to put things right.

It’s not his fault as others have said that we don’t play a system that suits his somewhat one dimensional style.

I thought that you understood a little bit about football REP but that comment about Popey reveals that in regard to Tom you know nowt if you believe that looking back at his own goal with two and three monsters hitting him in his back each time the ball is bashed up in his direction is the way he likes to play. No Popey thrives on crosses but unfortunately the current service from the wings is virtually non existent. Remember the chant 'Feed the Pope and he will score' the clue as to how Tom likes to play is in the words.

This thread is so disrespectful to the man who has carried and saved us so many times quite frankly disgusts me!

This is the 6th season in professional football that Tom Pope has reached double figures. One season wonder? Ricky Miller could only dream of figures like that.

Reaching Double figures for a striker who players 90 minutes every match and takes penalties isn’t exactly a great achievement.

How did that have an imapact on his penalty? Excuses as usual for sir tom pope. Anyone else it’s a **** penalty. Vale fans never change.

I thought that you understood a little bit about football REP but that comment about Popey reveals that in regard to Tom you know nowt if you believe that looking back at his own goal with two and three monsters hitting him in his back each time the ball is bashed up in his direction is the way he likes to play. No Popey thrives on crosses but unfortunately the current service from the wings is virtually non existent. Remember the chant 'Feed the Pope and he will score' the clue as to how Tom likes to play is in the words.

This thread is so disrespectful to the man who has carried and saved us so many times quite frankly disgusts me!

How is it? This is what really grinds me about some fans. Why isn’t he allowed to be criticised? What’s he done this season that’s been so good? It’s not at all disrespectful and it’s certainly not bloody disgusting!! I remember the chant yes. The key word there is remember.

Strange how every manager plays that way when pope plays. But obviously you know better than them that pope dosent like that style of football.

We play one dimensional crap when he plays. I’m not saying that’s his fault but we do.

You’ve quoted an aspect of my post Owd which refers to him as one dimensional and then in your very reply indicate he’s one dimensional by suggesting he needs crosses to indicate what we all know, he’s exceptionally reliant on his team mates for chances or indeed penalties.

That would be fine Owd if we have various ways to play and create chances but sadly we don’t, you must watch the games and see we and he is one dimensional and Popeball is so easy to defend. We don’t have wingers so there is little or no point in moaning about it as a succession of managers don’t see fit to play to his strengths. I remember a number of posts by you Owd in early 2014 castigating JMW, the last class winger we had, I’d imagine even you and Pope would crawl over broken glass for someone like JMW now to get your boy going again.

When was the last time he produced a piece of wonderful individual skill to create and score from nothing, was it the Cheltenham game in the promotion season? He has to be fed as sadly he can’t go to Waitrose to feed himself, in the last two games he’s been fed the equivalent of two glorious M&S luxury meals and for some reason he’s gone all bulimic on us using your analogy.

You talk of monsters but watch him 10-15 seconds before he gets any long Popeball, he generally instigates contact and then moans his bonce off like a kid in a playground that he’s being fouled, it’s difficult for officials to justify the award of a free kick in favour of the player who initiates the physical aspect. And if he’s not using his hands and gob for that he’s constantly aggressively chastising teammates, with the notable exception of his mate Kay, easily the worst passer of the ball in the team which regularly includes Rawlinson.

It’s sad as all Vale fans want us to win league games and be successful but indirectly Pope and Popeball is a huge part of the problem at the moment as is yet another inexperienced manager at this level failing to use the huge squad options to change things.

Archived