onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Tranmere

paulvaliant

The reality is that we simply don’t have good enough players, even for the fourth division. I used to always think that there wasn’t much between league two teams except small margins. However, the last few months has proven how far we are behind some teams. How many of our players would get in Tranmere’s team? On that showing, none. They had a striker who put Pope to shame, their whole midfield was comfortable on the ball and their defence never look troubled.

In terms of us, the lack of quality is embarrassing.

Hannant - Terrible for the last few months. He offers nothing except from the ability to run around.

Rawlinson - It’s scary how a professional footballer can be so useless with the ball at his feet.

Conlon - Can’t dribble, can’t tackle, can’t head and gets knocked off the ball at every opportunity.

Pope - Let’s be honest, he’s either unfit or passed it. I could of marked him tonight.

I could go on and criticise the whole team but those were a few notable standouts tonight.

I think a lot of us are now accepting where we are heading. It’s gutting.

Can’t disagree with any of that other than to point out that you missed the worst player of the lot, Kay.

Advert

He has inherited a garbage squad born from years of lack of investment with what must be extremely low morale and confidence but Askey doesn’t seem up for it, simply not good enough to turn us around. He will leave in 3 months time and Smurf won’t have to pay out a settlement but we will almost certainly be playing none league football next season.

The reality is that we simply don’t have good enough players, even for the fourth division. I used to always think that there wasn’t much between league two teams except small margins. However, the last few months has proven how far we are behind some teams. How many of our players would get in Tranmere’s team? On that showing, none. They had a striker who put Pope to shame, their whole midfield was comfortable on the ball and their defence never look troubled.

In terms of us, the lack of quality is embarrassing.

Hannant - Terrible for the last few months. He offers nothing except from the ability to run around.

Rawlinson - It’s scary how a professional footballer can be so useless with the ball at his feet.

Conlon - Can’t dribble, can’t tackle, can’t head and gets knocked off the ball at every opportunity.

Pope - Let’s be honest, he’s either unfit or passed it. I could of marked him tonight.

I could go on and criticise the whole team but those were a few notable standouts tonight.

I think a lot of us are now accepting where we are heading. It’s gutting.

The sad thing is if you go through the starting 11 how many players have the the required quality for league 2 level? Brown,Pope, Whitefield then I'm struggling. Crooks maybe,Gibbons has potential to be but then then I'm stuck.

Guest TommyMac
Expected a new manager to change things, lost all three games since he took charge, players have no confidence, Askey has no confidence as judged from his interviews. Players will soon have no confidence in him if things don't change.

You got what you asked for 593.

Please quote the post where '593' asked for Askey or **** off back to the Brexit topic and spout your ******** there.

Why is it you and I and probably thousands of others can see that would be a good side to play but that clown in the managers seat is too dumb or ignorant?

I saw someone joke that he was sent by Macc to ruin us and save them, now I know it was said tongue in cheek and the players are utter ***** but my god Askey is giving it a go. Wonder if he’s on a bonus if Macc stay up?

Kay should retire as he’s not got the legs anymore, it’s clear to see. Any opposition midfield will run rings round us with him in there. But one thing I will say, at least shows for the ball and doesn’t hide out there.

We need to stop dicking around and play our best team regardless of status and contract situation as this is really not working. The midfield has no legs which is why we are persisting with 5 in there Teams just break through our lines too easily which Tranmere did when we switched formation. This persistence of so many defenders is absolutely killing us we are asking two ******* fullbacks to provide the creativity for Pope -its never going to happen. I know Kaye is getting a battering on here but he is the only player in midfield who actually looks to want the ball and try play a pass. Conlon is non existent and Hannant is a headless chicken.

Only positive tonight has to be Worall who caused problems with his direct running and Whitefield managed to last 80 mins.

We need a radical change to the personnel and formation and need to try and attack teams more to stand a change of getting 5 wins. I'd rather go down fighting rather than keep things tight for draws.

I would look to go -:

Brown

Gibbons

Howkins

Legge

Crooks

Manny (if fit)

Joyce (if fit)

Monty

Worrall

Whitefield

Miller

We need to do something different than we have for the last 30 + games otherwise we will go down.

I din't think Smith was too bad tonight and I'd always have Pope in my team as a target man and our top scorer, but I'm with you 99%.

We need to be brave and to try and win games. But I can't see Askey playing a team like that in a month of Sundays.

The sad thing is if you go through the starting 11 how many players have the the required quality for league 2 level? Brown,Pope, Whitefield then I'm struggling. Crooks maybe,Gibbons has potential to be but then then I'm stuck.

Exactly my point. If we were to fold tomorrow, how many of this squad would be signed by football league clubs?

We have nothing about us. Not one bright spark who could get us going. We huff and puff for 90 minutes.

Expected a new manager to change things, lost all three games since he took charge, players have no confidence, Askey has no confidence as judged from his interviews. Players will soon have no confidence in him if things don't change.

You got what you asked for 593.

What a daft post. People asked for change because we were going to get relegated. We didn’t ask for more of the same. It was pointless sacking aspin (especially once the transfer window was closed) if this is what we get, but don’t go on about ‘getting what we asked for’ as though we weren’t on a downward spiral beforehand anyway. No one asked for this shambles.

I thought it’s another game with very little between the 2 sides apart from one thing, tonight highlighted the benefit of a mobile forward who can finish. They played one up top who was willing to run the channels and one of his goals came from that. Unfortunately for us Popeys lack of mobility means we never have that option and have to rely on someone getting near him, whereas Tranmere didn’t have to. How many chances did they create? 3 I think and he scored 2 of them.

Like I said at half time, with that wingback formation once teams nullify Gibbons space / leave players up so he has to stay and they deal with Popeball then we are knackered. So I was pleased we changed to a back 4, also refreshing to see the ineffective Hannant and Clark getting subbed, whereas under Aspin they were untouchable. I thought we looked better and more comfortable as 4-4-2 and it was good to see Worrall come on and make a difference. Other than that Brown, Gibbons, Crooks, Whitfield were arguably the ones that could come out of it with some credit and even Monty tried too. Kay looks like he cares at least.

The first goal was a shocker and nearly a carbon copy of the Cambridge winner, Clark allowing a player to come inside and have a free shot. But Rawlinson didn’t cover himself with glory by being too busy appealing instead of reacting. Second goal was a direct result of centre midfielders trying too much and with one ball Norwood was in over the top. Showing us exactly what we should have been spending our money on.

I thought we actually played some decent stuff second half and the goal we scored was a good one, showing how we should be playing whitfield off Pope. But Saturday I’d keep 4-4-2 as the formation, except Whitfield up front instead of miller.

Archived